14' Track Pack: Not a bad first Night at the Strip

pierce88

Established Member
Well this was my first night out at the strip with my 1 month old Mustang GT. I was completely blown away with the results and was actually my first time ever taking a stick car down the the 1/4 and my first pass in almost 5 years.

2014 Mustang GT 5.0
300a
Track Pack
Recaros

Car was comically full weight. I DD this car so it had all my usual stuff In the center console as well as a full set of golf clubs and a weeks worth of clothes in the trunk.

85*
100% Humidity

(It was almost unbearable to stand out there with the humidity)

Cecil County Dragway

Made about 7 passes on the night with the first 6 in the 13.3-13.6 range (which I was already pretty pumped about for a bone stock car loaded with weight)

Final pass:

2.141 60'
13.172 @ 110.44

Really excited to start modding to see what I can do with a stick car. I actually thought the car drove great. Third gave me trouble on two passes but that's just growing pains with a new car (only 2500mi!)

Just wanted to share my good first experience with the coyote and the MT-82.

I'd love to hear some more tips to get it into the mid 12s (better weather being the obvious)

Thanks guy,

-Pierce

608e4762bb969549bf931a916cb07307.jpg

235320f75c282cbd7cda736e8548601f.jpg

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Well done. I little work on the 60' and you will be in the 12's.

Did you turn off Advance Trac, and what is your launch technique. With some practice you should be able to get the 60' down to 1.9 -2.0 and that will put you in the 12's.

pierce88

Established Member
Thanks guys.

I tried to launch from 2500-3000 and ease off the clutch but I'm pretty sure I was basically dumping it. I had a couple pour launches where I over revved it and spun like crazy. So that leads me to believe I was dumping the clutch the entire time despite my best intentions to slip it. Definitely started easing into the throttle though which helped Lower the 60' from the 2.3 range down to my best of 2.1. I also cut a 2.22 with all the nannies on but that slowed to a 13.5.

Traction control was off and I left advance trac in Sport Mode. Should I have turned that off as well?

-Pierce

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I completely disable Advance Trac, and leave about 1800rpms slightly harder than leaving a normal light. Takes a little practice, but you should definitely be able to get it down.

After some time, I would consistently cut 1.9's on my 245/45/19" all season Pirelli's.

Honest Mike

Established Member
I've always heard the guys that I know that are big into drag racing/grudge racing say that a tenth shaved off your 60' time will equal 2 tenths at the finish line.. With that said, if you could get your 60' down to 2.0 you' should be in the 12.8 range..

5lho

Established Member
12s are pretty easily achievable on a TP/BBP car, even full weight. Like has been said, go easy out of the hole, the engine doesn't mind eating a little in first, even on slicks like I use.

pierce88

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys!

@lindermant Let me look at my schedule and I am most likely in for the 27th!

@5lho Thanks for the launch help! I didn't even consider trying to baby it that much going out of the hole. Again I came from AWD subarus so I was used to just slamming it out of the hole and the AWD would take over. I will definitely give that a shot next time!

Sidenote: What gear are you guys finishing in? I was hitting the fuel cutoff a couple feet before the line in 4th gear (Again Track pack with .373s). Is it normal to have to shift into 5th? I thought 5th was typically overdrive.

Let me know.

-Pierce

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Congrats! Next time empty the dang thing and go with about 1/8th of a tank..... I made my first passes ever at that track in 1995 with my 95 Formula Firebird 6 speed. I ran in 97 degree heat (stupid- but I was too excited not to), ran 14.1's@ 101.x with 2.2-2.3 60fts spinning on GSC's. The BEST magazine time for that car back then was 14.3@99 or so, I was stoked as I ran than in 3rd gear on my first pass because I listened to some old dude and was bouncing off the rev limiter well before the stripe. Go back with the temps are in the 60's and empty it out before you go too crazy so you get some accurate base line numbers.

pierce88

Established Member
5th is the 1:1 ratio 6th is the overdrive (.63 i think).

Makes sense. I think most people Dyno in 5th.

I will be making several more passes this fall prior to modding. Thinking of heading to the track rental on the 27th that @lindermant mentioned above and I will likely head back to Cecil in October.

Car actually had an 1/8th of a tank so that I actually timed right. Interesting thing is that the gas light comes on in the 2014s (Could be the earlier years as well) at 1/8th of a tank.

-Pierce

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Make sure to go around the water box, lightly heat the tires, and leave at 1500+/- slipping out the clutch. With a good run, you should have to shift into 5th gear with the tire set up on the Brembo cars. Also be sure to turn off all of the nannies.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Forgot to mention to drive around the water. I always just spin off the tires, never did believe in heating up street tires. Mine will be 3 weeks old this Saturday and I'm looking forward to dusting off my launching and shifting skills pretty soon. I plan to wait for cooler weather and give it some more mileage. Sitting about 900 right now.

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
Thats a nice time for a bone stock car. I really want to take my car down the strip some time but dont want to completely embarrass my self lol.

lindermant

Established Member
Tom, Is anyone invited?
Thanks
absolutely Bill! there's contact info on the link for the person organizing it (to include a paypal option, and there's a pre-pay discount) - if you have any questions shoot me a text and I'll help out.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it (kids have two soccer games and two softball games), but it's a great time - you'll get as many runs in as you can handle!

pierce88

Established Member
Make sure to go around the water box, lightly heat the tires, and leave at 1500+/- slipping out the clutch. With a good run, you should have to shift into 5th gear with the tire set up on the Brembo cars. Also be sure to turn off all of the nannies.

Yea i went around the water box everytime (No Slicks, No Water). Slipped the tires a little bit just to get the dust off. Definitely need to lower my Launch RPM. Had no idea you had to easy into it so hard.

Good to know also about shifting into the 5th. Really thought i should have had no issue making it through the lights in 4th.

-Pierce

sho89

Established Member
Good run, I ran almost the exact same times in my 13. It was way to hot and I had a tough time launching the car, Ive since upgraded pretty much everything suspension wise besides a panhard bar as well a full exhaust and a couple other parts. It feels totally different and I cant wait to get back out and see what I can do, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread