14mm IRS bolts - Install Question

j card

Established Member
When you pull the old 12mm bolts to put in the 14mm versions, how hard is it to get them in/out? Does the subframe tend to preload the bolts, etc? I've just wondering how much time I need to set aside, and what equipment I might need (jack, lift, prybars, etc.)

Anybody who has done this, if you can give me a procedure, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Do a search for MM IRS bushings and my name. You should get a post about it there.

Basically, youll need a good prybar to help get the holes lined up. You may also need a come along, and maybe even a rubber mallet. Just depends on how much you move it around while the bolts are out. Youll definitly need all those if you changing bushings out at the same time.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
It is a knuckle busting job, but not impossible. I used a lift, tranny jack, prybar, impact gun and a friend. It takes a little patience and muscle to get the 14's in but it is worth the effort. Cured my rear end 'clunk' and significantly reduced wheel hop. Definitely worth the $5 I spent on the bolts. Total time for the job was about 40 minutes. BTW, you have to remove the catback to get to the bolts. Good luck!!

j card

Established Member
Thanks guys - I figured it was probably going to be a little work. I'll make sure I set aside some time when I actually get around to doing it.

wjfawb0

Established Member
It wasn't hard getting the fronts out. Of course my car was on a frame lift and I had a transmission jack to help get them out. Getting the 14mm bolts in took more time (because they filled the holes). I used a small prybar with a pointy end to line up the holes, and then coaxed the bolts in. the rears were hard to get back in. The driver's side didn't want to line up. I tore up the threads on the origianl rear bolt on the driver's side and ended up resuing an old front 12mm bolt to take its place. Everything worked out it the end though.

MY IRS bushings, 14mm bolts and differential bushings install:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69011&highlight=Bushing+install

-Jason

hmwave

Established Member
Go buy a Sears hole alignment tool. It's a long tapered spike.
I used one to align the IRS with the frame hole.

Hammer it in carefully and the taper pulls the IRS into place.

Don't hammer the bolt in against it's will as you'll damage the thread and won't get the nut on again.

Users who are viewing this thread