'15 5.0 - SERVICE ADVANCETRAC, power steering failure, etc. Dealership blaming Tune?

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Hey guys, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Mods:
- Lund tune
- I/E

Last Wednesday I parked my car on a dirt road to attend a concert and while exiting, I noticed that my left rear tire had gone flat. I limped the car about a mile and a half to the nearest gas station to add air and between the dirt lot and the gas station the car freaked out, went into limp mode (felt like it was running on a 1/4 of it's normal power) and all the warning lights came on. SERVICE ADVANCETRAC, hill start assist unavailable, TCS off, ABS off and a wrench light for DTC P061B (internal torque management calculator error). I added air to the tire, drove home and immediately fixed the leaky valve stem the next day. I tried reloading my tune twice and even though the wrench light went away, all the other warnings are still there.

I dropped the car off at the dealership last Thursday and they finally called me back today saying my tune caused the power steering to fail as well as all the other warning lights to come on.

Lund has sent me a revised tune to combat the P061b code but can it truly be my tune causing all the other warnings to come on as well? I plan on picking the car up tomorrow and flashing the revised tune in hopes of that fixing the issues but it just doesn't sound right to me.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks for your time.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
BFE2EAB4-45EA-4F72-9E81-0C0E1E328B73_zpseddr9vsw.jpg

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
I wanted to update this thread for the benefit of anyone who may have the same issue in the future - The first dealership I went to blamed my tune and they can kiss a dick. The second dealer recognized the issue right away and said they've seen their fair share of S550's with the same warning lights due to the same failure. Apparently the wheel hub sensor goes bad and fails thus causing the car to panic and throw all the warning lights. In some cases like mine, it will also cut power steering. I should be getting the car back tomorrow with a new half-shaft wheel hub sensor.

I will update this if the dealer informs me of any other reason why this happened.

Thank you.

15PSI

Established Member
I am glad you found a knowledgeable dealer that undersood your issue. Just an FYI though. On my 2012 Mustang GT with a PD Blower, I was experimenting with some values in my tune and after I flashed the car, it did exactly the same thing as yours did originally. I backed the calibration down to the previous version, re-flashed and the dashboard freakout disappeared. I never drilled down enough in the tune to discover which parameter caused this, but at least I discovered that it is possible to produce some weird things with a calibration slightly out of bounds. Glad you are back and running again.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Thank you, sir! :) I'm happy she's back up and running again as well. I know the tune can cause some funky things to happen but I had Lund go over everything and they worked their magic to get rid of the P061B code. The abs issue however was a total mystery to me. Only reason I had a clue was because a friend with through the same issue with his '15 a week or two ago.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Here's a photo of the invoice from picking the car up today - hopefully this will benefit another S550 owner in the future.

2A74317F-79BB-4042-B772-1FB6F85ECFFC_zpsg0h7lww1.png

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Ford dealership techs, am i deciphering the invoice correctly by seeing the tech was able to flag 4.0 hours to replace a halfshaft under factory warranty? I am a kia master and warranty tends to pay 0.7-0.9 on an axle shaft plus 0.3 for diag as long as i can print out a DTC. not topic related but have to ask on personal interest....

sleek98

Established Member
Had a semi similar issue on my 2012. was getting service advancetrac, no traction control and no power steering. Took it to the first dealer and they put in a new power steering rack, worked fine for 1,500 miles then started happening again. I was out of warranty when they goodwilled the first rack fearing they would make me pay the 1,700 this time I starting tracing wires and found that a ground on the passenger side strut tower was loose, ever since tightening that up its been fine. I am guessing when they replaced the wrack they pulled the wiring tight enough for it to ground back out and then it worked its way loose again.

fastferndog

Established Member
To answer your question regarding the time.... Yes that is only 4 hrs to diagnose, repair and road test. I don't know how Kia's are built, but most fords are not made to be serviced easily. Many repairs require special tools. It also appears that the Tech used some actual time to make more $$. Some labor operations are not even available so it becomes at the technicians' and management discretion. Times have really changed for most if not all Professional Techs out there. I used to be able to flag 2.7 hrs for a " Check Engine Light" diagnosis " Only!!!. Now it's down to .3 of an hour, which includes the pinpoint test.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I want to thank the OP for at least coming back and giving an update. Too many people leave the threads unfinished and they do not help others.

Thank you OP!

Users who are viewing this thread