15 F150 vs 14 Raptor? Which one to buy?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I stand corrected… I mixed up the HP and TQ… is was 400 RWHP and 500 RWTQ...

What's the stock Raptor's torque numbers to the wheel?

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

Who cares? I think you are missing the point of the Raptor. The Raptor is not intended to be fast in a straight line. It isn't a Lightning. It is a kickass aggressivly styled truck that does extremely well off-road yet very comfortable on-road.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

Dude, quit.

The stock tq ratings for the raptor are probably equal to the ecoboost. I missed the part where the op said he was interested in voiding his warranty with a tune. I'd be willing to bet that much less than 1% of ecoboost motors get a tune. It sounds as if you really don't know what you're talking about. Only speaking from hearsay regarding your boyfriend's truck. How's his tailpipe feel?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Who cares? I think you are missing the point of the Raptor. The Raptor is not intended to be fast in a straight line. It isn't a Lightning. It is a kickass aggressivly styled truck that does extremely well off-road yet very comfortable on-road.

off road where? Baja or Southern Arizona, California? - that is about the only place you will get the benefit of the suspension. Its not a Jeep, and its not going to be any more capable in snow, or trails than any other 4x4 pickup with some tires and lift. Your not going to be able to GO some place that a lifted F-150 can't go. Its eye candy people…. Its a nice looking truck.

If the OP is not interested in tuning, and lives at sea level and doesn't mind spending 60K on a half ton truck and doesn't mind the gas mileage of 1990 Dump Truck, then yeah he should probably buy a Raptor. For me personally when buying a pickup truck I want all the power I can possibly get for towing/hauling, while still getting good gas mileage and have the 4x4 for snow and some light off roading. I will leave the REAL off roading to short wheel base Jeeps and ATVs. This is why I opted for the 3/4 ton diesel while spending nearly 10K less than a Raptor.

It just REALLY bothers me that the Raptor did not come with any FI… if its an Ecoboost fine… if its a blown V8 - fine… at least give me the capability to recover the power I paid 60K for when I go to a high altitude. To me, a normally aspirated truck is just not worth that kind of cash.

you sea level people just don't get it… Take your Raptors from Sea level to a ski area at 10,000 feet and you will understand just how unimpressive your normally aspirated 6.2L is, I'm not paying 60K for a truck that looses 20-25% of its power at high altitudes - that's just dumb.

I was up at the ski resorts this past weekend and saw a Raptor in the parking lot and I just laughed because this guy thinks his truck is SO cool, and his engine isn't even making 270 to the wheel up here - whoopy doo - all for 60K - what a waste.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
off road where? Baja or Southern Arizona, California? - that is about the only place you will get the benefit of the suspension. Its not a Jeep, and its not going to be any more capable in snow, or trails than any other 4x4 pickup with some tires and lift. Your not going to be able to GO some place that a lifted F-150 can't go. Its eye candy people…. Its a nice looking truck.

If the OP is not interested in tuning, and lives at sea level and doesn't mind spending 60K on a half ton truck and doesn't mind the gas mileage of 1990 Dump Truck, then yeah he should probably buy a Raptor. For me personally when buying a pickup truck I want all the power I can possibly get for towing/hauling, while still getting good gas mileage and have the 4x4 for snow and some light off roading. I will leave the REAL off roading to short wheel base Jeeps and ATVs. This is why I opted for the 3/4 ton diesel while spending nearly 10K less than a Raptor.

It just REALLY bothers me that the Raptor did not come with any FI… if its an Ecoboost fine… if its a blown V8 - fine… at least give me the capability to recover the power I paid 60K for when I go to a high altitude. To me, a normally aspirated truck is just not worth that kind of cash.

you sea level people just don't get it… Take your Raptors from Sea level to a ski area at 10,000 feet and you will understand just how unimpressive your normally aspirated 6.2L is, I'm not paying 60K for a truck that looses 20-25% of its power at high altitudes - that's just dumb.

I was up at the ski resorts this past weekend and saw a Raptor in the parking lot and I just laughed because this guy thinks his truck is SO cool, and his engine isn't even making 270 to the wheel up here - whoopy doo - all for 60K - what a waste.

His truck IS "So cool." You are seriously missing the point of a Raptor. It's purpose isn't as narrow minded as you want it to be, and you can't take a similarly optioned F-150 and put parts on it to achieve the same performance for the same money AND keep your factory warranty. I don't live at sea level, and I don't live in extremely high elevations but have done some towing at high elevations on trips. As long as you are operating within factory limitations N/A engines perform fine. It's not all about having the biggest power number around, you have to have a balanced vehicle. The Raptor does extremely well at maintaining great performance, good balance, and a great price for what you get.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

Holy butt hurt. Guess what? They didn't make the raptor forced induction, because they don't care about the tiny % of business they'd lose to nut jobs at high altitude who cry about power loss. You should move. I doubt you laughed at the guy with the raptor truck---you may have sneered a bit. The sneer of jealousy.

You listed reasons why YOU didn't buy the raptor (high altitude affecting straight line speed, and you can't afford the gas mileage). No one who buys a raptor has concerns over either of those reasons. You're totally missing the point of the truck.

I got my truck $500 over invoice. And with 8k miles and a year later, it's worth more than what I paid for it. How about your average one year old ecoboost f150, that some tard put an ebay lift kit on with 'mud tires'?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
His truck IS "So cool." You are seriously missing the point of a Raptor. It's purpose isn't as narrow minded as you want it to be, and you can't take a similarly optioned F-150 and put parts on it to achieve the same performance for the same money AND keep your factory warranty. I don't live at sea level, and I don't live in extremely high elevations but have done some towing at high elevations on trips. As long as you are operating within factory limitations N/A engines perform fine. It's not all about having the biggest power number around, you have to have a balanced vehicle. The Raptor does extremely well at maintaining great performance, good balance, and a great price for what you get.

The point of the raptor is for high speed wide open off road desert racing… that is what it was built for, that is the ONLY thing that makes it better than an Ecoboost F-150. Now tell me how many ****ing Raptor owners are actually using this truck for THAT? Probably less than 1%… the rest just fell for it, as I almost did for its looks. It looks cool… its got a nice N/A engine which is fine if your a sea level driver, however for the most common use cases, you don't need all the expensive suspension components, I would personally rather see this money spent on a better engine with forced induction, therefore in my opinion, its overpriced for what your getting.

I'm done… go ahead and keep wasting your time writing… I feel bad for you people that fell for Ford's bullshit with the Raptor… I'm just writing to warn those that haven't made the mistake yet, not to fall for it like some of the other idiots on here did.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Im glad you're done. You keep mentioning how over priced raptors are. Guess what. A platinum ecoboost was the more expensive truck then my raptor when i bought it. And no the raptor is not single purpose either. Here is mine in a forest.

Raptor Flyby: http://youtu.be/fLAbooPjgIo

Crazy! It can be driven in more then just socal deserts!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The point of the raptor is for high speed wide open off road desert racing… that is what it was built for, that is the ONLY thing that makes it better than an Ecoboost F-150. Now tell me how many ****ing Raptor owners are actually using this truck for THAT? Probably less than 1%… the rest just fell for it, as I almost did for its looks.

It was built for Baja, but is great for far more than just baja.

Also would love to hear where you got that statistic about less than 1% of raptor owners take their trucks off road.

Users who are viewing this thread