15mph over ticket while transporting prisoner?

J15BIG

Established Member
I was dropping a friend off tonight around 4 this morning. I see a city cop car on the the freeway. I didnt recognize the car which is weird because I know most of the cars around my area(im in the reserve academy). The guy is goin probly about 70. The speed limit is 65. So im in the fast lane and he is two lanes over. I get over, passing in front of the cop, because my exit is coming up and im doin about 80. Well he desides at that point to pull me over. So he hits his lights and I pull into a gas station right off the exit. He comes up and asks if I know why he pulled me over. I said probably because I was goin a little fast. He said yea, do you I know how fast. I said about 80. He said yea, not too smart to go that fast in front of a cop. So I give him my lic, reg, insurance, he does a sobriety test, and then he goes back to his car. At this point i still dont know where he is from. He takes a while writing the ticket, then comes back and says i got a couple questions for you. He said did you recognize where I was from? I said no. Then he asked if I saw that he had a prisoner in the back? I said no. He said ok, just curious, I was wondering if you thought I wouldnt pull you over because of that. Anyway he gives me a ticket for 80 in a 65 and lets me go on my way. The guy was really nice and he assured me that a speeding ticket is nothing when you go apply for a job(as a cop or reserve).

When I got the ticket I saw that he was from a city about 15 miles away.

So basically my question is: If you were transporting a prisoner and you were 15 miles away from your city, would you pull someone over for 15 over the limit and cite them??

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In CA, we do not have jurisdictional bounderies, so he is within his rights to issue the citation. Generally when we transport prisoners to the county lockups, we ignore minor infractions, focusing on the task at hand. However if you choose to break the speed limit right in front of an officer you put him in a tough spot.

jshen

Established Member
Just a thought

Maybe the prisoner commented on your speed or asked the officer to stop you.. I have had that happen and prisoners love to see others get ticketed or arrested..

J15BIG

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. So I guess my next question is how much do you think this is going to cost me? Also, I am assuming I can take traffic school to get it off my record. Is there any reason why I wouldnt be able to?

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
You'll want to contact the court (addy & ph# should be on the citation) and ask one of the clerks how much the fine will cost. They may also be able to answer your traffic school question.

J15BIG

Established Member
i can check online but i have to wait for the "citation to get processed" which, accodring to the web site, could take up to 20 days. guess ill just wait. I asked my brother in law (a cop) if i should i even bother goin to court. he said the only benifet would be if the cop didnt show, which he probably will show so theres no point. oh well, guess i just wont speed next time. :D

Users who are viewing this thread