15t

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Any 15T's here or aviation mechanics period? I'm coming from MI and what to know what to expect. Do you like the job, what are your work days like? The more info the better, thanks!

89armygt

Established Member
There is a few here from what Ive seen. I love the job. Been at if for almost 14 years now. IF you like turning a wrench then youll enjoy working on the birds. Now just keep in mind that if your NEW to the MOS everyone is gonna treat you like a noob. Ill admit that AIT doesnt really teach you crap about the job. It just teaches you a foundation to build your knowledge base from. Trust me Ive taught there at Ft Eustis and I know whats in the lesson plans. lol. Now after AIT your work hours will depend on the type of unit that you go to and what the work load is that day. Some days you may sit with nothing to do and some days your working till 6 or 7pm. Most of the time its not bad at all and you can be heading home between 4-5 everyday. Just get out there and learn everything that you can and constantly look for things to do. They tend to only take the hardest working mechanics into the flight companies and trust me thats where you wanna be. I loved flying. Im in the TI shop now. Career progression thing. Id be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Good luck.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Thanks for the info! Do you know how they treat non MOS qualified trainees vs how I would be treated? I really hate to go back to AIT lol. But I'm only a little over 3 hrs from Ft Eustis, so I'll be able to see my family on the weekends. One of the reasons I considered this job was because I do love working on things. It's gonna be a change from my cushy desk job lol. My retention NCO told me that they aren't accepting MOS changes into this MOS for SGT so I'll probably be turning town the promo board for this as well.

89armygt

Established Member
Oh so your gonna be a re-class? Things would be a lil different. The instructors would lean on you a lil more because youve already been in the army and know whats going on. You will more then likely be the class leader. You wont get treated like a "private" if you know what i mean. Your privleages will be different then new trainees. Yea they dont want NCO's coming into the job because how are you supposed to lead and teach soldiers how to do this job if you dont know yourself. Know what I mean. Its a technical job. Heed their warnings and stay away from the IET students (initial entry). That will get you in a world of hurt if you get caught. Just a bit of advice there. Let me be the first to call you a retread. lol. just a lil inside humor we have for the reclassers into this field.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Haha! I know all about staying away from them. I went to DLI when I was an IETer and it sucked because we couldn't hang out with classmates that were reclassers. Just got back from talking to my retention NCO to change my stabilization code, so hopefully I'll be signing some paperwork soon.

einehund

Established Member
I reclassed from 12B to 14J and for my second AIT I got treated like permanent party. AR 350-6 governs IET and AIT soldiers and has a section in there about reclass. Basically you are to have nothing to do with the privates and they shouldn't have anything to do with you. You are there to learn your new job and nothing else. I did PT and class with the privates and that was it. I had to fend for myself for every meal (no ration card) and because I had my car, i just went off post. It has been a couple of years since I reclassed so it's a little foggy in my mind, but if i remember more I'll post up. Good luck on the new job.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I reclassed from 12B to 14J and for my second AIT I got treated like permanent party. AR 350-6 governs IET and AIT soldiers and has a section in there about reclass. Basically you are to have nothing to do with the privates and they shouldn't have anything to do with you. You are there to learn your new job and nothing else. I did PT and class with the privates and that was it. I had to fend for myself for every meal (no ration card) and because I had my car, i just went off post. It has been a couple of years since I reclassed so it's a little foggy in my mind, but if i remember more I'll post up. Good luck on the new job.

Thanks! Training is only a little over 3 hrs away, so at least I'll have my car lol!

einehund

Established Member
It makes it really nice. I was stationed at Hood and my AIT was at Bliss, so on 3 and 4 day weekends (of which TRADOC has alot) I just put in a milage pass and went home and spent time with the family.

Nukem1040

Established Member
I went from 13B to 15J at Ft. Eustis. You will go to E or H co, whatever they call it these days. Your Company is simple. Show up to formations for PT and maybe 1 at COB after class. You don't deal with any private except for in the school house. Your treated with respect from Cadre that you are prior service/reclass.
You will love 15T. You made the right choice. That's the MOS I wanted,but only had 15J. I love aviation. One of the best jobs/communities in the Army. You will probably go to a D company to do phase maintenance. Then the Line Companies hear about your name, scout you out and get you in their Company and then you start flying and crew chiefing. You made the right choice and you'll love it.
I'm on my 3rd reclass to 15E now(UAV) and headed back to Huachuca for the second time for the Gray Eagle. Aviation is the best!!
Good luck on your new adventure.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I went from 13B to 15J at Ft. Eustis. You will go to E or H co, whatever they call it these days. Your Company is simple. Show up to formations for PT and maybe 1 at COB after class. You don't deal with any private except for in the school house. Your treated with respect from Cadre that you are prior service/reclass.
You will love 15T. You made the right choice. That's the MOS I wanted,but only had 15J. I love aviation. One of the best jobs/communities in the Army. You will probably go to a D company to do phase maintenance. Then the Line Companies hear about your name, scout you out and get you in their Company and then you start flying and crew chiefing. You made the right choice and you'll love it.
I'm on my 3rd reclass to 15E now(UAV) and headed back to Huachuca for the second time for the Gray Eagle. Aviation is the best!!
Good luck on your new adventure.

Thanks! Glad to hear good things lol!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Well, just found out today that my branch chief authorized my reclass request into aviation, but not for 15T. Kind of bummed out. My other options as of now are 15W or 15Q. If anybody is currently in any of these MOS please let me know how you like them!

Nukem1040

Established Member
And a 15Q is a air traffic controller. Not many options here. 15W/E is the future aviation

Nukem1040

Established Member
Lol, my buddy whole im having a beer with right now is a 15W PSG with 10 years of service. You breathe as a W and your promoted fast!! You want this job buddy, no more questions

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Saw my retention NCO today and it looks like all that is left is for me to get a flight physical done...then I'll be reclassing into 15W! Still can't figure out why I need one

Users who are viewing this thread