16" slicks on stock gt wheels?

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Ive got a set of stock 16" mustang gt wheels laying around. they are 16x7.5 and im wanting to put some 26" slicks on the back. My question is would you need to drill and tap the rims for slick screws? i dont have the money for drag rims right now but want slicks to preserve my IRS at the track...anyone done this before with/without slick screws?

ITS STOCK

Established Member
I have the 16" pony rims with 26/9.5/16 LT hoosire QTP.

Only been to the track once with them and they seemed fine.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
I have the 16" pony rims with 26/9.5/16 LT hoosire QTP.

Only been to the track once with them and they seemed fine.

so thats without rim screws? ive just heard that the slick will spin in the rim and possibley walk out of the tire if you dont run screws.... maybe a M/T Et street would be better? also you arent coming out of the hole very hard with only a 1.89 60 on slicks...what rpm you launching at? ive went 1.64 60 on nitto drag radials.

Last edited:

ITS STOCK

Established Member
so thats without rim screws? ive just heard that the slick will spin in the rim and possibley walk out of the tire if you dont run screws.... maybe a M/T Et street would be better? also you arent coming out of the hole very hard with only a 1.89 60 on slicks...what rpm you launching at? ive went 1.64 60 on nitto drag radials.

That was my first time ever racing at the track and with slicks on the car.

I took it real ez, and it was my first time ever. I think I was coming out at 3k or so. Friday night street night at Temple Academy Dragway, not the best track in the world.

I really dont now if they spun n the rim, next time I will shoe polish the rim and tire.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member

I took it real ez, and it was my first time ever. I think I was coming out at 3k or so. Friday night street night at Temple Academy Dragway, not the best track in the world.

I really dont now if they spun n the rim, next time I will shoe polish the rim and tire.

Ahh ok got ya...thats a good idea on the shoe polish, let me know how that turns out.

Black Sex

Established Member

Friday nights around here at the track suck. they dont prep

iceracer

Meco Power
Established Member
I'm running 26x 10.5x16 ET streets on 16x7.5 gt wheels w/out screws and w/out tubes. I've had no problems, high 1.5 60's at about 11lbs pressure. I checked last time at track and tires don't appear to be slipping on the rims.

Jon

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
I'm running 26x 10.5x16 ET streets on 16x7.5 gt wheels w/out screws and w/out tubes. I've had no problems, high 1.5 60's at about 11lbs pressure. I checked last time at track and tires don't appear to be slipping on the rims.

Jon

cool, im going to give them a try....thanks for the replies guys

Users who are viewing this thread