'16 Tacoma or ?...

96 cobra

Established Member
Hey guys,

Looking to get a new tacoma (access cab/manual/4x4/utility pack)
$24k msrp including delivery/process/handling fees.

Intended use:
- Aprox 9k jobsite miles/yr. 25k total miles/yr.
- Very light use (e.g. <200lbs of equip) on jobsites.
- Beach/trails/camping use on weekends.

Pros:
- Excellent resale w/ the cheaper 'utility package'
- Reliable
- A full-size pickup would not fit on trails and parking on jobsites

Cons:
- Very slow/poor mpg
- Rear drums, same old toyota frame, 4,000+lbs and 159hp, etc...

Comments/thoughts? :rolling:

Last edited:

starnsey

Established Member
I got a 2015 Canyon, granted its a crew cab All-Terrain and I really love it. Super comfortable, discs all around, solid suspension feel and in my opinion substantially better looking than the strange shape of the new Tacomas.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I've spent a good bit of time driving the truck you want. It gets around well, good low end and mid range power. MPG in the low 20's. Fun to drive stick shift. With the light weight and manual trans it's more interesting than any V8 Silverado or F150 I've driven.

96 cobra

Established Member
I got a 2015 Canyon, granted its a crew cab All-Terrain and I really love it. Super comfortable, discs all around, solid suspension feel and in my opinion substantially better looking than the strange shape of the new Tacomas.

I totally agree, the tacoma is far from nice looking! The canyon/colorado is a few thousand more, but I have a feeling chevy/GM might be able to take a little more off of their price than toyota.

I've spent a good bit of time driving the truck you want. It gets around well, good low end and mid range power. MPG in the low 20's. Fun to drive stick shift. With the light weight and manual trans it's more interesting than any V8 Silverado or F150 I've driven.

Thanks for the info Mike. You use one for work?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I totally agree, the tacoma is far from nice looking! The canyon/colorado is a few thousand more, but I have a feeling chevy/GM might be able to take a little more off of their price than toyota.

Not really too much actual work being done with it. I occasionally work for someone in New England that consults for banks and they bought a 2015 Access Cab/4cyl/5 speed for their business. Sometimes I'm there for 7-10 days or so and use it as needed. I probably put 1000 miles on it.

starnsey

Established Member

Interesting. I figured the WT Colorado should cost less than a similarly equipped new Tacoma.

96 cobra

Established Member
Interesting. I figured the WT Colorado should cost less than a similarly equipped new Tacoma.

A little over $28k, but the toyota is a true stripper model in 'utility' form:

None of the following: back seats/belts, cruise control, keyless entry locks, rear sliding window, rear speakers, painted bumpers/mirrors, etc.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I lease a 2015 Tacoma 4 door. Its a nice truck, comfortable, good tech, nice ground clearance, etc. Only thing i dont like is the interior seems cheap and plasticy to me.

As another person stated i would look into the Canyon/Colorado as that truck got motortrends truck of the year.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

None of the following: back seats/belts, cruise control, keyless entry locks, rear sliding window, rear speakers, painted bumpers/mirrors, etc.

Just FYI, for very little money you can get blue tooth, power windows/locks in some package. My friend paid the base MSRP for one with this little extra.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I was intending to buy a new midsized truck specifically a Colorado but after pricing them and looking for deals I settled on a 2011 f150 xlt super crew 5.0 with low miles. The room inside the cab alone sold me on the truck compared to the midsized ones. Picked it up for around 27k with a 75k mile warranty added on by the dealer. I'm sure the market is flooded with used trucks now that the 15's are out now.

bglf83

Established Member
I have a 16 Canyon on order as well. If the manual transmission is a must the Taco may be better for you. GM only offers a manual with the 4 cylinder base model Colorado.

starnsey

Established Member

That's crazy. I see that though building it on chevrolet.com. My 2015 Canyon All Terrain was only $4k more than that which is essentially a fully-loaded truck. Granted, I didn't get 4x4. When I bought mine, there were no deals to be had because GM couldn't keep production up with the demand for the trucks so it was basically just my company discount and USAA and pretty much no more negotiating beyond that. But it looks like there are more trucks on the lot now when I go to the dealer as opposed to last year.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I lease a 2015 Tacoma 4 door. Its a nice truck, comfortable, good tech, nice ground clearance, etc. Only thing i dont like is the interior seems cheap and plasticy to me.

As another person stated i would look into the Canyon/Colorado as that truck got motortrends truck of the year.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I've sat in a GM small truck and those interiors are just as cheap as in the Toyota. So what I'm saying is test drive all trucks and find the one that works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread