17 X 10.5" AFS w/315 BFG/KD...No Go

Fred G

Established Member
Definately bummed out. Tried to install my new wheels and tires today. After taking the time to machine-down a brand new pair of factory IRS upper cradle bolts for clearance, I install the rear wheels only to find that the left rear tire sidewall jambs itself into the left side upper cradle bracket...turns out the bolt is the least of my problems!! This is jacking the car up from under the lower control arm, too. Forget trying to jack the car from the torque box. On the ground, the tire is into the bracket. The right tire cleared the bracket (and bolt) by about 1/4".

I'm really pissed about this, considering how many guys claim they never even changed the upper bushing bolts and had no fitment problems.

Anyway, like it or not, unless anyone has any other suggestions, it looks like a call to Fred Goeske at wheeladapter.com for some custom machined concentric wheel spacers is in order. I hate the thought of having to use spacers, though. Figures, my figgin' luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Fred

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Sorry to hear that, that really is a bummer. I was actually contemplating doing the exact same thing, but now i'll think twice.

Sounds like wheel spacers would be your best bet.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I've got the same problem. But I knew I would. Hubcentric 3/8" Undy spacers are on the way. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. AFS 10.5" Chrome with GY Eagle F1 GS-D3 315/35/17.....freakin' HUGE tire. We shall see.

Fred G

Established Member
Snakeyes and Jempson,
Thanks for the heads up, I just e-mailed Undy. Jempson, how did you determine 3/8" would be correct for your application.
Fred

Brad

Banned
Whats the issue here? I have BFG 315's on my 18" wheel with no isses at all. Maybe less wall on my ties??:shrug: Best of luck

Fred G

Established Member
Brad,
Maybe it is a 17" vs 18" issue...I don't know, but if you follow the links to Undy's photos, he went though a lot time and effort to come up with a fix for this. At least it's good to know that it appears that I don't have the one oddball car that this wheel and tire combo won't fit on.

Bingo13

Established Member
Fred,

Is your car lowered? Have you had the rear alignment checked? I did not have any fitting issues with the KD, GS, or AVS tires on the car with the button head bolt or shaved stock bolt and lowered to 27".

Rwick7

Established Member
I thought it was a known fact that 315 BFG don't fit? Did I miss something?

Fred G

Established Member
Bingo,
Good morning. As far as I can tell, the car runs straight as an arrow...stops just as straight, too. But, I don't think this problem wouldn't be an alignment problem anyway, the actual bracket for the L/S upper IRS bushing is what is into the tire's sidewall. As far as I can see, the bracket can only bolt to the rear unirail in one place. For the heck of it, I'm gonna drop a plumb line down frm the top of each wheel opening and measure the distance from the rear hub to the line, to see if the cradle is sitting squarely under the body, but to be perfectly honest, if it isn't, there's not much that I'm gonna do (or want to do) about it. The right side is fine, it's only a left side issue. Anyway, I don't want to beat on the bkt since it might cause a bind condition in the bushing (which are now MM's).
BTW, car is at stock ride height, and measures just under 28 3/8" from the center of the wheel opening to the ground.
Fred

Fred G

Established Member
Cito,
Well, to a degree, they may not be bad, but depending on the thickness, you also have to consider stud length, possibly different wheel lugs, etc.
Fred

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by Fred G
Jempson, how did you determine 3/8" would be correct for your application.
Fred

Combination of things. The GS-D3 is the widest tire I know of in a 315/35/17. There are other tires in that size, but it seems to run the widest. There are a few people I've talked to(one on this board) that have that combo. Both needed 3/8" spacers. The guy that actually machines the "Undy" spacers is named Marvin and I talked to him directly and he recommended the 3/8" for my car. I have extended length lugnuts here and some longer wheel studs en route that I may modify for peace of mind. You could just buy the H&R 25mm (1 inch = 25.4mm) spacers and not deal with the bolt mod and the "Undy" spacers, but IN MY OPINION they make the tire stick out just a little too far. I would rather modify some things and get the exact look I want than go the easy route and not like it as much. My advice is not to rush, research, and go with what YOU think you'll like the best.

Fred G

Established Member
Jempson.
I'm with you. No way would I put on 1" H & R's..no ricer look for me, thanks. I believe Moser sells a "midlength" stud which might be the way to go. I do know that I just now played around with some cheapo 3/16" spacers. With one spacer on, the tire still hit the bracket. Stacking both spacers the tire clears the bracket, but I couldn't even get the factory lugnut to start to thread onto the stud.
I'm sure Dave (Undy) has this sorted, so whatever he recommends, I'll go with.
Fred

jtfx6552

Established Member
I though there were places that would widen wheels, even cast ones. To do that they must have been able to increase back spacing right? I wonder if I am actually remembering this right, if it was true, mustn't they have been welding a concentric spacer to the back of the wheel and spotfacing the lugnut holes? I'm, not sure how they were welding cast, but anyway, it seems like that would be the way to go if possible.

JT

davidmax

Established Member
Are these wheels custom offset?If so you may want to contact the wheel mfr. and see if the offsets are right.Any good tire shop can measure clearances,Dave Smilovic

Fred G

Established Member
Dave (S) an JT....Hi...it's been a while. Well, I just finished playing for today. Here's the latest. I decided to "massage" the upper bracket some. Now, with the car jacked-up from under the the lower control arm, the tire still hits the bkt, but when I let it down, there is daylight between the sidewall and the bkt, only about 1/16" though, which means when I hit a dip i the road and the suspensions moves up and down, full travel, the bkt will hit the tire. However, with one 3/16" spacer, the tire just clears the bkt jacked up and on the ground has a good 1/4" clearance. Equally as important, though, is that I measured the exposed threaded surface of the lug out from the flat part of the rim, not inculding the threads running past the taper into the rims, and there is still 5/8" of thread for the lug to grab, not including the taper. I believe Dave (Undy) has or had 3/16" concentrics, which will probably be perfect, now that I fixed the bracket situation.
Fred

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Check out AFS's ET style lug nuts (link), they should give you the extra threading that you need, I got em just for additional security, and they look great. Here is a pic of how much extra threading you will get with them. Just a reminder if you do go with those lugs, the locks they have do not have the extended tip, I don't know why.

Good luck,

Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread