17 yo takes gun and shoots carjacker

theraapster

Established Member
Link

METAIRIE, La. (AP) -- A man with a gun was trying to force a woman out of her car at a fast-food drive-through when the woman's 17-year-old son wrestled the gun away from him and shot him.

Carl Chestnut, 44, of Kenner, is expected to survive wounds to his head and body, and will face armed robbery charges once he is released from East Jefferson General Hospital, Col. John Fortunato, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Monday.

It would have been safer to hand over the keys and let the gunman drive off, Sheriff Harry Lee said Monday.

Fortunato said the 53-year-old woman was in line at an Arby's Roast Beef Restaurant about 1:30 a.m. Monday when Chestnut walked up and pointed a gun at her, demanding their money and the car.

When he leaned inside, aiming the gun with one hand and trying to yank her out with the other, the 17-year-old grabbed the gun, Fortunato said. He said it went off once as they strugged, but did not hit anyone. Once the youth got the gun, he shot Chestnut several times, Fortunato said.

Sylena Rhodes, a corporate officer for Arby's, said, "He saved his mother's life. He's a hero. He's an absolute hero."

Lee acknowledged that the gamble succeeded, but said it was one that could have cost lives. He repeated advice that the best way to survive a holdup is to cooperate.

"Give them the money and give them the keys. You make an insurance payment on your car, and nobody gets shot," he said.

Pretty bad ass (and lucky) kid for doing that.

assasyn

Established Member
How about charge him with attempted murder?

I guess not all the trash came to Houston during the storm, some are still there.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
assasyn said:

I guess not all the trash came to Houston during the storm, some are still there.

some South Shore people are good people, just maybe not the ones you have seen....

Anyways, thats good that he did that, teaches that dumba** a good lesson about trying to steal a car.

DocHolliday01

Established Member
assasyn said:

i hope you are joking, stories like these need to happen more often maybe next time that piece of shit will think twice about robbing someone if he has to wonder if he he will get shot or not.:kaboom:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
sixt5 said:
im surprised the kid didnt get charged....

good job tho!

It's Texas ... In Texas you don't get charged when you are using deadly force to protect life AND/or property .... Thats why I live there. Mess with me and/or my shit you will pay the ultimate price if I am anywhere near my weapon.

Last edited:

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
assasyn said:

One of the main reasons I moved to San Antonio from Kenner - the New Orleans mayor bussed a bunch of them back to help vote him back into office and with no place to stay, they settled into Metarie and Kenner - crime there has steadily increased ever since.

Bird

RedfireSVT

Established Member
02MineralGrayGt said:
i hope you are joking, stories like these need to happen more often maybe next time that piece of shit will think twice about robbing someone if he has to wonder if he he will get shot or not.:kaboom:
i think he meant charge the car jacker with attempted murder.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
That's great! A brave and lucky (no, not stupid) kid. :thumbsup: Sure he and his mom could have gotten out and done what the robber asked... :nono: ...it seems that more often people are shot whether they cooperate or not.

The guy got what he deserved. It's to bad he will survive. :loser:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Incredibly brave, and incredibly stupid.

If a carjacker wants my car at gunpoint he's getting it for sure.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
the best way to survive a holdup is to cooperate.

yeah...we should all become victims. Whats to stop the person conducting the holdup from shooting you just to get rid of a witness? Or for those that live somewhere with a 3 strike law and that person was on the their 3rd...they can just say "**** it" and kill everyone in the room.

sixt5 said:
im surprised the kid didnt get charged....

Sorry but if you shot someone who was robbing you...you should go free, especially if that person is armed. Thank god our Castle Doctrine goes into effect in September.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
i had someone try to steal my car at gunpoint(that only has liability insurance) and i ran him over and hauled ass, ive now got a badass inch scar between my eyebrows from the butt of his gun, but i still have a car and hes in jail, if i could have wrestled the gun away i woulda shot his ass a few times too.

assasyn

Established Member
mineralgrey01gt said:
some South Shore people are good people, just maybe not the ones you have seen....

Anyways, thats good that he did that, teaches that dumba** a good lesson about trying to steal a car.
No, your right. The hard working ones went back and rebuilt. The shitty, lazy, murderous, and thiefs stayed here.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
02MineralGrayGt said:

+1 The government thinks that putting someone in prison for a year is going to change their ways. Chances are that they're going to get out of prison and soon be back in the same place for doing the same thing. Now when this piece of trash gets out of prison, I'll bet he'll think twice before pulling this shit again.

Users who are viewing this thread