170 thermostat swap

gqneon

Established Member
I'm going to be swapping my thermostat to a 170 unit from Reische, and was curious about other Mustang owners' experience with bleeding out air on the Coyote motors, particularly the S550 if anyone's been through it yet. I was going to reuse the almost new coolant, but might drop it down to 30 or 40% antifreeze with distilled water and water wetter instead.

What I'm wondering about is to refill and purge the air, I watched a video on using a vacuum pump. Is the air entrapment a huge issue on these cars? I would have to buy a vacuum pump and a compressor, so circa $200 to get parts good enough to do that right. Otherwise it would be fill, run, cool. Fill, run , cool. The vacuum looks really appealing. What would you do?

gqneon

Established Member
That's the one I was looking at, although I was toying with a cheaper version that looks like it would do the same thing. I'm wondering how much air compressor I need to use a tool like that. It says 90 psi but I wonder what kind of cfm.

gqneon

Established Member
I ordered a used one online and I'm hoping for the best, probably should have bought new but its just not a lot of moving parts to break. I'm debating on a small oiless 125psi pancake deal from harbor freight or a bigger one that could run air tools too down the road. I guess the right answer is obvious, but I'm wondering if the small one will do the trick for now

Gamble13GT

Established Member
I'm going to be swapping my thermostat to a 170 unit from Reische, and was curious about other Mustang owners' experience with bleeding out air on the Coyote motors, particularly the S550 if anyone's been through it yet. I was going to reuse the almost new coolant, but might drop it down to 30 or 40% antifreeze with distilled water and water wetter instead.

What I'm wondering about is to refill and purge the air, I watched a video on using a vacuum pump. Is the air entrapment a huge issue on these cars? I would have to buy a vacuum pump and a compressor, so circa $200 to get parts good enough to do that right. Otherwise it would be fill, run, cool. Fill, run , cool. The vacuum looks really appealing. What would you do?

I had the Reische one installed on mine. Got it from Lethal Performance. It's the same instal as the 11-14s too. I drained the coolant out of mine and swapped to distilled water and a bottle of Redline Watter Wetter. Noticed a difference right away.Average temps are around 175-181* -NOTE... YOU HAVE TO BE TUNED FOR IT

When you replace the fluids, All you have to do is burp the system but squeeze the hose to the tank getting thr air pockets out. I waited till the fans kicked on (turn AC on MAX) Double check then do it again. Watch the temps too.

gqneon

Established Member
Thanks that helps a lot. When you say tuned for it, you mean having someone set up a handheld tuner like my X4 to adjust fan tables or something at the dealership level?

RSKtakR

Established Member
No. you need to have an aftermarket tune or have your aftermarket tune adjusted for the 170 degree thermostat.

gqneon

Established Member
Cool, I sent over a message to the Lund team to see if they would and could do it with my tune. With backlog I'm thinking it might be a few working days before I see the starting tune though, but it gives me time to get everything else ready. Thanks for the info!

908ssp

Established Member
The stock Thermostat is a 180f so dropping to a 170f really should not be an issue. I saw a 10 degree drop maybe a touch more in cylinder head temperature from 205f to 191f to 195f. The water temperature gauge seems to read bit lower but it is pretty useless. I'll probably get the fans programed to come on a little earlier after my dyno session and data logging with Lund Racing. As is I run a fan in front of the radiator all the time for the heat exchanger. The lower cylinder head temperature just gave me a bit more peace of mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread