17x10.5" rims: A few questions

OverToad

Established Member
First off, Damn whatever happened to the server, since I REALLY hate not having the use of the Search function :nonono:

With 17x10.5's on the rears of our cars, what's the widest tire we can run, do we need the button-head bolt mod, and are there any other issues that I should be made aware of?

Sorry for posting something that's been discussed, but with no search........:shrug:

Thanks in advance.

-Ribbit

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Hey Toad - I have been following all the threads on this topic and just ordered my AFS 17x10.5's last week. Personally, I'm going with the Nitto DR 315/35's. They have a section width of 12.13", according to the Nitto web site, which is the narrowest 315 I came across. I am going to try them initially w/o the button head bolt. I think they might work. I also considered the Dunlop SP8000 (section width 12.4") that Randy was running without changing the bolt. He eventually installed a buttonhead just to be safe, however. There's another guy running Yoko AVS Sports w/o any spacers or the button head. (Sorry, I don't remember his name.) He also lowered his car. They looked awesome on his car. The widest I've heard people using are the BFG K/D's. They have a section width of 12.6" and required both the button head and spacer according to the guy that was running those. Interesting though, the Yoko AVS also have a 12.6" section width. So it depends on what you are willing to do. If you want to run spacers or not, or mess with that bolt. (The concern over the bolt is the strength of the button head bolts that some have used as a replacement.)

Oh yeah, and toofast is running Nitto 315's on the stock rims, w/o any clearance issues. Which is also why I think they should work with these rims (even though the offset is 1mm bigger than stock on the AFS wheels). Bingo13 was the guy running the Yoko's.

Jerryk is running the Nittos but went ahead and put in the button head cause that's what most guys recommended. Uncle meat is also running them (AFS 17x10.5 w/ Nitto 315s) w/ the button head.

Here one place to look,

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34067

And here's the Yoko's on Bingo13's car

http://www.garykey.net/photo.htm

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
First off, Damn whatever happened to the server, since I REALLY hate not having the use of the Search function :nonono:

I miss the search bigtime, but I gotta say (again) that we owe Steve a lot of thanks and respect for the work he's put into salvaging the damaged database.....we have over 113,000 posts in the '03 forum alone and everything is still here, albeit a little unmanageable at the moment, but at least it'll all be waiting for us when things get back to normal.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
On that note, don't take my lamentations as a bash towards Steve.
I'm just crying over spilt milk ;-)

the thought never even entered my mind, El Sapo :beer:

snakeyes

Established Member
Did anyone ever find more button head bolts? Does anyone know of a better wheel spacer to use than the general purpose Mr. Gasket type? There was a thread started about a hubcentric spacer but stud length became an issue.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
OverToad,

The 315 Nitto's with the button head bolt mod work great. I did notice there was minimal (Less than 3/8 inch) between the button head and the tire sidewall with the suspension unloaded. I also installed the AR Stage I shocks while I was at it. I have a set of MM poly bushings for the IRS but haven't installed them yet. Overall I'm very happy with the combo though. Now with all this new traction I'm concerned about my half-shafts. It's only a matter of time....

U.M.

profile1.jpg

wheel1.jpg

nittos.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread