18" on your fox..

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Coming up with a backspacing to fit wheels of different widths should be no secret by now. Probably the easiest way to figure out your backspacing is to look at sites like the Pony R website for wheel widths/backspacing and look at photos of them mounted to the many foxes that run them. This will get you very close, if not dead on to the right backspacing. My brake setup is similar to yours, and my specs are almost identical to Pony Rs.

Last edited:

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
Understood, the problem is that everyone that I know and read about that has gone with staggered wheels seems to be using 94 & up axels, there in lies the problem. I have stock length 5 lug axels on mine. The Pony R's are great looking wheels and the fact that you can run a Nitto 315 is great, but they are somewhat flat faced and not deep dish, which is the look I m going for, hence, that will change the offset/backspacing. I am planning on getting a set of True Forged wheels for my car, as you probably know they are not cheap so I have to get it right the first time. If anything goes wrong I am going to have to get a new set made because they are going off of the measurements that I provide. If I am off for whatever reason then I cannot expect them to fix my mistake, plus I am only in the military so I cannot afford to get it wrong. Thanks for your input though.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
I get that. I run fox length axles and True Forged wheels on my car. Fox length axles are preferred if you want a bigger dish because you don't have to run as much backspacing. You want to fit a 10" wheel on the rear, you need to figure out how much you can backspace the wheel (axle face to inside lip of the rim). You want a deep dish, order the max pad cut. TF will machine down the mounting pad on the wheel to give you the deepest lip.

With that being said, look up my old posts. I run an 8" front and 9" wide rear, andhave listed my specs. You can take those and compare to the specs of 95 Cobra R's or Pony R's...they're very similar. You can modify my numbers to fit your 10" rears, if you want.

If you are looking for specific info, ask for it here. Some of us have it. There is TONS of info out there on wheel sizing, but one can get overloaded with too much info all at once.

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
Blu50Stang thanks for all the info I didn't know that the guy from True Forged himself (Steve) posted on here. Wonder if he'd give me the discount for being a member here plus the military discount, haha!
I've spent the last hour and a half looking through all the posts and didn't see the specs on the wheels, I did see the ones for your Cobra but not the GT. Anyhow I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. One more, does anybody know the guy with the white coupe posted on here I would really like to know the specs on his wheels, that is exactly the tuck and look I am looking for on my GT. I noticed on another post that he took the car apart to work on a Beige coupe and the pics of the rear end showed he still had the drums and all. This may be what I'm looking for cause he probably had the stock rear track. I'll also try and pm him and see if he'll reply. Thanks again!

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
I believe Steve still offers the SVTP member and military discounts.

For referrence, here are the specs on my wheels/tires:

Front - 18x8, 5.25" backspacing, and what True Forged calls the "big brake cut" which offers the most positive offset/smallest lip on the face of the wheel, tires are 245/40/18 Nitto NT05's. I'm also running a 94/95 spindle/13" Cobra brake setup.

Rear - 18x9, 6.25" backspacing, and what True Forged calls the "max pad cut" which means the mounting surface on the wheel is machined down to a minimum which offers the most lip on the face of the wheel, tires are 275/35/18 Nitto NT01's. I'm also running Fox length axles, NRC brackets, and V6/GT brakes so I can throw some 15" wheels and sticky tires at the track.

If my car wasn't so low, I would have definitely ordered 10" wide rears, probably (off the top of my head), with an additional 1/2" of backspacing.

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
Dude that is awesome, exactly what I needed to know, thanks a million. I pm'd the guy with the coupe earlier today (I'm in Japan so our time) and haven't gotten a reply from him yet, but at least I've got a starting point. That is pretty much exactly the same brake set up I have except that I have the Cobra rears too. Thanks again, I'll try and contact Steve to start at least on the front wheel build so that I can get a little ahead. I will try and post picks as I go. As with everyone else, the car is a work in progress and I'm hoping to have it painted and at least assembled by the time summer comes around. I've done a ton of work on it this winter so it should look really nice to drive around Tokyo. I'm thinking that I'm going to leave any major engine mods for when I return state side cause although there are a few shops here that specialize in American cars, most of what you see here are classic Mopars and Corvettes. Ford and Chevy musscle cars are far and few in between. Anyhow I've rambled enough, thanks again for all the help answering my questions.

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
rhino1 thanks for the reply. Funny I actually just received it in the mail and it looks like a pretty cool and useful tool, the only thing they don't tell you is that you have to have the tire readily available to figure out what you need for wheel measurements. I think I'm just going to go ahead and order the tires and then go from there. The only part that sucks is that it seems Nitto doesn't make the 555R in a 18" 315 so I may have to go with a 285 or a 305 : ( I really wanted to see 315 back there! They do make it the 17" so I guess that could be an option but I'd hate to regress since I had 18" Cobra R's on there when it was a 4 lug. Wonder what the price difference is on a set of 17" True Forged vs 18's? Gonna have to call Steve again, haha! Thanks again!

puttputt

Established Member
102_0130.jpg

102_0113.jpg

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
By the way the look on the white coupe is what I'm looking for, but I am considering the True Forged Chicanes for my car. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is the info. Sorry I haven't responded yet. I get about 15 PM's a month asking the same questions. Here is a serious of some info I have obtained about my wheels and my suspension set up.

Ive been getting a lot of PM about my wheels. I also Still want to try and work out something on some 18" Victorys I just haven't had the time to dismount the tires from the wheels and get the BS measured.

Here is the original Specs I give you.

18x9, 6 5/16" b.s.(255/40-18)
18x10, 6 3/8" b.s.(295/35-18)

The below link shows where the guy who previously had them posted up the bs on the wheels.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/whee...-91-coupe.html

If you notice on my white car they set about fender flush on the front (UPR Tubular A Arm and K-Member) and don't tuck like on the red car. That is from a shorter A-Arm (AJE Tubular A Arms and K Member) on the red car.

But the rears on the white car actually set in just a tad and it has a Stock length 8.8 in it, opposed to the red car with a SN length rear end.

I think if I could I would go just a tad bit less BS on each of the wheels. (Front and Rear)

On the red car I have about 1/4 or less room to go before it would hit the inner fender. Now keep in mind I have 5lb hammer the inner rear fender wells and I have rolled the lips.

Up front on the Red car Im only running a Half of a Inner fender, Top to the back. If I had a complete one they would rub on it bad. Another things is that on the red car with the extreme tuck I am running some neg camber, Top leaning in. This will as you know eventually wear out the tires, but I don't drive the car a lot. And on both cars the front coil overs are 300lbs so it rides like a skateboard.

My suspensoin set up on the White Car:
FRONT
UPR Tubular K Member
UPR Tubular A Arms
Strange Adjustable Struts
300lb Qa1 Coil Over springs 12" or 14"
QA1 Coil over sleeves
2" Race Craft Drop Spindles *94-95 (Also Allows the 9.5" wide CCW on the Front with Coil Overs) Geometry changes when using the Drop Spindle
ARP Wheel Studs
03 Cobra Brakes, Crossed Drilled Rotors
MM CC Plates

Rear:
MM Rear Lower Adjustable Weight Jacker Control Arms
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Hotchkis Upper Adjustable Controls Arms
Strange Adjustable Shocks
Hammer inner fenders and Rolled Lips

Red Car Suspesion:
Front:
AJE Tubular K member
AJE Tubular A arms
Strange Adjustable Struts
QA1 350lb Coil Over springs 8"
QA1 Coil over sleeves
Spindles *94-95
ARP Wheel Studs
03 Cobra Brakes, Crossed Drilled Rotors
MM CC Plates

Rear:
MM Rear Lower Adjustable Weight Jacker Control Arms
H & R Super Sport Springs (These work Best)
HPM Upper Adjustable Controls Arms
Strange Adjustable Shocks
Hammer inner fenders and Rolled Lips

Here is some new info I got after doing some more searching.

Previous owner's PM
Steve told me to talk to 04sleeper over on svtperformance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinator6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinator6
Steve at TF told me to talk to you about my wheels. I have a set of 18x10.5 3 piece TF mach 5's(speedofsound's old wheels). They have a 6 7/8 bs. I need to know what I need to do to make them fit my fox with stock length 5 lug axles. Steve said I might be able to get away with just replacing the inner wheel hoop. Will I be able to keep my 285's on my fox?

here is my for sale thread when I planned on selling them. True Forged Mach 5's. 18x9/10.5. Black and chrome with BFG tires.

thanks, mike
I am checking with Steve right now on available sizes of hoops.

I will let you know something as soon as I find out.

Kevin
thanks
Almost forgot to get back to you.

Steve said he should be able to change the rear hoops and they should work on your Fox.

With the 6.875 BS now, you take off .5 inches from the rear hoop size and that will make it 6.375 backspacing and will make the wheel a 10 inch wide wheel.

This should work about perfect with the 285 tire on a Fox.

Hope this helps, Kevin

Thanks alot for all the comments and maybe this will help with some questions I have been getting regarding my wheels.

See ya around
Rob

Eddie Z

Established Member
I love my 18s. I get compliments all the time...

2011-10-04_14-13-02_535.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread