18" Wheel. Help with speedo correction (SCT)

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Any of you guys running 18" wheels change the setting on the SCT tuner to correct the speedo. Im looking for the right setting. I believe it has it in rev/minute or something along those lines. Thanks.

03mgtermi

Established Member
i was told with the tire sizes on the 17 and 18 inch rims, the total diameter of the tire/wheel combo is the same and you don't need to recalibrate the speedometer. ie, the sidewall of the tire on the 17" rim (stockers) is taller than the sidewall of the tire on the 18" rim. the lower profile tire on the 18" rim supposedly compensates for the 1" increase on the wheel. i haven't measured anything so i could be wrong but im running 18's and my speedo is accurate with no calibration.

unless you are running some weird tire size it should be fine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My 18inch wheels didn't mess with my speedometer at all, seems accurate.

moonltgold

It's diameter of wheel that counts. Stocker is 25.7" so if you are close, (within 1/4") you won't see the difference. But if you have a 26.5" or 25" tire, you'll be off a few mph, maybe like 4-5 at 75 mph.

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
I just read the tire guide on Americanmuscle.com and it say 305/35/18 will be off 2.8% That is reading 60mph and actual 61.7 mph so now i have to figure out what to do. Thanks for all the replys

Teej281

Established Member
Go to nitto's site, get the revolutions/mile and then get into your tuner and set rev/mile to the closest number, but dont go over the number. that will get you your most accurate speedo setting. It will read a little faster than youre actually going, like maybe .00002mph faster than youre going but that way its not showing that youre going slower than you actually are. you catch my drift?

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Go to nitto's site, get the revolutions/mile and then get into your tuner and set rev/mile to the closest number, but dont go over the number. that will get you your most accurate speedo setting. It will read a little faster than youre actually going, like maybe .00002mph faster than youre going but that way its not showing that youre going slower than you actually are. you catch my drift?

Yup. Im in my garage as we speak Going through the options. Also switching my fan speeds a little.:beer:

Teej281

Established Member
I wouldnt bother messing with those really. But yea, put it at 785 revolutions/mile and you'll be golden.

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
I set it to 765 because to tuner goes I increments of 5. That only one Rev/mile more than nitto's site says. It was set to stock which is 786 and was only 2.8% off so I think I'm good to go now. Thanks everyone.

Teej281

Established Member
Your speedo is going to be off still. 305 35 18's from nitto are 786 revolutions/mile so stock is 811. I dont know where you are getting your stock sizing from but stock is over 800. So set it to 785 and go with that. That is going to be your most accurate number.

Teej281

Established Member
PaladinMicro

Use this and put your tire size into the prompts and it will come out to 787 revolutions/mile so 785 would be your closest bet. 275 40 17 tires are 810 according to that calculator. The guy is a regular on Mustang Forums and is some sort of engineer genius.

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
PaladinMicro

Use this and put your tire size into the prompts and it will come out to 787 revolutions/mile so 785 would be your closest bet. 275 40 17 tires are 810 according to that calculator. The guy is a regular on Mustang Forums and is some sort of engineer genius.

You were 100% correct. Americanmuscle.com sheet wasnt even close. Thanks for the info and sorry for even thinking I was doing it right. :beer: I confirmed the speedo reading next to my GPS app on my phone.

Teej281

Established Member
Cool. just trying to help ya out mang. I think I'm going to call AM today and tell them that they need to revise their tire size menu to make it more accurate.

Teej281

Established Member
Called AM and informed them of the issue and they said that this issue will be taken care of as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Called AM and informed them of the issue and they said that this issue will be taken care of as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

Good job. :beer: You will have saved alot of people time and maybe money on getting a ticket with them thinking their speedo is correct. :rockon:

Teej281

Established Member
^My thoughts exactly. Trying to save everyone a little bit of time, effort, and money...and maybe a couple points on their license. lol

Teej281

Established Member
Just an update, AM took the link down that the OP posted with wheel sizes and revs/mile and are probably currently fixing it. Gotta love AM and their awesome customer service!!! :thumbsup:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I have the same size nitto 305/35/18 can I change this with a predator programmer?

Users who are viewing this thread