1972 mustang suspension

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
hey guys i can't remember for the life of me if the 72 mustangs came with leaf springs out back...also i know you can't just cut the spings like you could coils..but how would you go about lowering the car with the same money saving mentality if it has leaf's? i cut the coils on my 86 and that dropped the car a good 2 inches at least. I'm asking cause i'm about to start work on a 72 mustang for a friend of mine and would like to lower it before i get it back to him. i'm doin the body work and painting it. any help or suggestions welcomed...also what color would be best...it's red now...well crappy red. It's a 72 Mach 1. sorry for the long read

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I believe you can have a spot 'arch' the springs to get the ride height higher or lower. I've never messed with leaf springs, but I have heard of people having their springs arched to either raise or lower the stock ride height. I'm not sure where you could go for this...but maybe some other folks can chime in.

Good Luck.

jfsram

Established Member
Re arching is exactly that. They remove the leaf springs. Force more or less bend in each leaf. Restrap them and put them back in the car.

Considering the car is 35 years old. Consider having a place like Eaton spring make a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread