1986 Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed

Racingrob

Established Member
Just ran my car for the first time last weekend. Its an 86 LX 5.0 with a 5 speed and stock 2.73 rear gear. ALL STOCK and the rear needs rebuilt. Ran a 15.17. Checked the timing on the motor yesterday and it was at 8 degrees. So i put it at 12 degrees and started running 93 octane so I'm excited to see what is picks up at the track next time. It feels a lot faster from the seat of my pants!

Racingrob

Established Member
When I find the time slip somewhere in the center console, I'll post it for the 60 ft and mph. 60 ft was around 2.28 if i remember correctly

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Love reading these post. Kids these days will never know what it was like for us back in the day to try and squeeze out a 14 with a completely stock fox on radials! My completely stock 1990 5-speed ran 15.13@91mph. The struggle was real :)

Racingrob

Established Member
Yeah I'm 23 now and I've only had this 86 for 3 months. I had an 01 GT that i had running 13.20s from ages 17 to 22, but being broke and in college with a lead foot made me have to sell it to avoid breaking parts and not being able to fix it. Now I'm graduated with a job and I can finally afford to build another Mustang. Can't wait to see the improvement in times with future mods. Next step: subframe connectors and 3.55 gears with a new clutch!

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I love the 4-eye cars. Gears and clutch are a good start, but some good heads and cam will really wake her up. I'm assuming it still has the bad '86-only factory heads?

Users who are viewing this thread