1992 ford diesel ambulance.

Established Member
The local boy scout troop has a 1992 IDI ambulance with about 90K on it. It sits a lot so they seem to have to jump the battery, but other than that, its a good driver, new tires, exhaust repair, etc. They are looking to get a 15 passenger van from enterprise and are wondering how to unload the ambulance. Local craigslist was all over with nothing really comparable, , so I'm hoping someone on here knows the best way to dispose of it if the troop gets the van. I don't want to get roped into the craigslist route either, if I can avoid it, because i don't even know what would be fair to all parties.

Thanks

Established Member
7.3 It is the box van style and there is no non ambulance mods that I know of. Scouts have been using it to haul gear since the fire dept donated it to them, but they need a capacity for kids

MastaAce03

Established Member
Those things just keep running. That thing is barely broken in at 90k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Good lord I used to work on those things. Nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Established Member
With an IDI, I would think around $2,000-3,000 for a clean one.
That was kind of the range I was thinking as well. Enterprise has a no haggle 2017 15 passenger low mileage for 25,900 and the guy thought their wholesaler would take it in trade at Kelly blue book plus 500, which would be like 2600 if you use a 350 cube van for reference. I'm thinking that is the way to go. Anything I need to know about buying used from Enterprise? Sounds like they keep the best stuff for them to sell and wholesale anything that worries them.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Good lord I used to work on those things. Nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

We used to replace the transmissions on ambulances daily. The truck would go out with a brand new reman and come back the next day. Those drivers really put a hurting on an E4OD/4R100. Always smelled like burnt trans fluid.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We used to replace the transmissions on ambulances daily. The truck would go out with a brand new reman and come back the next day. Those drivers really put a hurting on an E4OD/4R100. Always smelled like burnt trans fluid.

Did they have any kind of cooler on them? Heat seems to tank a those old 4-speed in a hurry.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Did they have any kind of cooler on them? Heat seems to tank a those old 4-speed in a hurry.

FWIR, they had the regular "tow" package cooler. The diesel cooler was thicker than the gas version. Both would overheat though. I dont think they designed the E4OD with that much weight strapped to its back let alone the constant idling, back and forth shifting and cop stopping(slamming it into park while coming to a stop).
The 4R100 was beefy as hell in the regular trucks but i think all the weight with the rear section was the real killer. I cant imagine what a fully loaded ambulance weighs.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
FWIR, they had the regular "tow" package cooler. The diesel cooler was thicker than the gas version. Both would overheat though. I dont think they designed the E4OD with that much weight strapped to its back let alone the constant idling, back and forth shifting and cop stopping(slamming it into park while coming to a stop).
The 4R100 was beefy as hell in the regular trucks but i think all the weight with the rear section was the real killer. I cant imagine what a fully loaded ambulance weighs.

I would imagine around 12,000 pounds.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Knowing what I know about friends who worked at car rental places, I would never buy a rental car

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That was kind of the range I was thinking as well. Enterprise has a no haggle 2017 15 passenger low mileage for 25,900 and the guy thought their wholesaler would take it in trade at Kelly blue book plus 500, which would be like 2600 if you use a 350 cube van for reference. I'm thinking that is the way to go. Anything I need to know about buying used from Enterprise? Sounds like they keep the best stuff for them to sell and wholesale anything that worries them.

About 80% of the cars we fix are Enterprise fleet so I know the ins and outs of their operations pretty well. Im pushing out about 130 cars a month for them at the moment and at our last shop it was as high as 400/mo. If they are looking for a 15 passenger Transit then anything ERAC (Enterprise) has will probably have roughly 30-40k miles as that is the usually where they transfer their passenger vehicles out to either back to their respective dealer lots or to their own used lots. They are the largest used car sales company in the nation by the way. Aside from that, chances are it has been repaired a few times during its time in service. The vans are big and anyone can pretty much get behind the wheel so it was either hit in the front or back or swiped the quarter panels at one point. I can assure you though that any damages done were repaired by reputable shops. On top of that, ERAC doesn't Repair with used or reman'd parts and their are no aftermarket parts for Transits so every repair performed with new parts will be brand new Ford parts. ERAC is the strictest and most organized of any other rental company by leaps and bounds as I do work for Avis and have done Hertz as well. For us here specifically, when they transfer a vehicle out of service it goes to a place called the PLOT. There they look the vehicles over with a full inspection and then issue them out to a shop like ours to have repairs done before they send it out to a sales lot or auction it if repairs exceed their threshold and they decline and total. They pretty much take care of anything that is major damage within reason, and as of now I have to do pre and post scans of all service codes to ensure none of their vehicles leave our shop without being addressed if their is a code. They will usually pass on say a panel that has a single dent smaller than a golf ball.

More and more ERAC is pushing the shops to have certified manufacturer standards, and quite honestly, it is getting ridiculous for us because they want us to employ mastertechs basically without giving them mastertech pay, but it is good for a customer like you.

So the passenger vans are all probably going to be in good working order and condition just because they dont typically get abused as much as the regular vehicles in the fleet do. Now, if they are looking for a Transit cargo van then I can say that those get abused pretty bad. Here they are mostly issued out on lease to Amazon and their drivers abuse and destroy them and Amazon just pays because Amazon. Doors get hyper-extended, come off the tracks and get twisted, backed into things, etc. But they still ensure that they get repaired back to 90% essentially.

I didn't look where you are located, but if you find one you like ask them if they will give you the vehicle's unit number. It starts with a 7 and will have 5 following characters, Like 7PM24G for example. If you give me that I can contact my buddies in their admin and let you know the history of the vehicle while in service.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Knowing what I know about friends who worked at car rental places, I would never buy a rental car

Do they repair them often? I dont think ive ever had a bad rental car. I would think that the get abused to hell but at least they are serviced regularly and for the most part they are under warranty before they leave?

I gotta think some of the rental agency employees have done some burnouts in those Mustang and Camaros. I know i would.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Do they repair them often? I dont think ive ever had a bad rental car. I would think that the get abused to hell but at least they are serviced regularly and for the most part they are under warranty before they leave?

I gotta think some of the rental agency employees have done some burnouts in those Mustang and Camaros. I know i would.
No, they dont get to drive them like that. We do lol j/k. Hopefully there are no Enterprise highers on here, but I haven't daily driven my own car in over a year. I get to drive a new car every day and sometimes we get the newest Camaro SS, or Mustang GT but usually they are the entry models. New Infinitis, Navigators and Expeditions, Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, you name it. Their regional heads know we drive them and dont care, but it's one of those things they will deny knowing if you screw up one of their cars.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey now, a safety road test is a safety road test. So you test it to your house overnight and back. Its still making sure the cars are SAFE. :D

Users who are viewing this thread