1992 LX 5.0 Hatch, unmolested, 33,000 miles

1992-LX-HATCH

Established Member
Up for sale is my 1992 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback, 5-speed, with 33,300 original miles. The car is pictured with Cobra-R wheels but it will be sold with its’ factory pony wheels and new, 245/50ZR16 tires. The pictures show the car without the windshield wipers because I take them off all my cars. Naturally, they will be on the car at the time of sale. The car is numbers matching with all body panel VIN tags in place (vehicle history below). Clean CARFAX as well. It’s long, but please read all the comments below. It might help answer your questions.

I’ve owned several Fox Mustangs so I’m familiar with them. This car was already in amazing shape when I got it and it would have been fine as-is. Nevertheless, I went ahead and spent considerable time and money taking it to the next level. Right now, it’s totally dialed in both mechanically and cosmetically. I’ve never entered this car in any car shows, but it would be an easy winner at local Ford shows and would probably do well in MCA shows in the “Occasionally Driven” class. I’m only selling it to make room for my next one which will probably be a coupe. I’m not a car “flipper” who tries to make money on these cars. I just like tinkering with them and owning different ones. Once I run out of stuff to do to it, I get another one. I lose money on them but I have fun.

The engine and drive train on this car are stock and unmolested. This is an early 1992 and has one of the forged piston 5.0’s versus the cast piston 5.0 found in late 92 and all of 93. Below are some of the things I’ve done.

1 – Full exhaust to include BBK ceramic coated unequal length shorty headers, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Flowmaster 44 series mufflers. This is the same exhaust setup I’ve had on all my Fox cars. It sounds great. The EGR system is 100% intact so a catted H-Pipe can be put back on if needed.

2 – Ford Racing C-Springs front and rear. The C-Springs are a lowering spring but they’re a very mild lowering spring. It’s just enough to get rid of the factory 4x4 look without having to deal with tire clearance issues, suspension geometry issues, rolling the fenders, etc. (been there, done that). This car has no tire clearance issues and the fenders are NOT rolled. The ride height is even and level at all 4 corners.

3 - Steeda full length subframe connectors.

4 – UPR billet caster/camber plates. The C-Springs on this car don’t really require aftermarket CC plates but I put them on just because I think the spherical bearings improve the steering response versus the factory rubber bushings. Plus I like the look. Fresh alignment was done.

5 – The driver’s side rear quarter window has been replaced with a factory style, OEM Carlite window. The moldings on the original one were starting to show very early signs of pitting. The passenger side quarter window looks brand new so I left it as-is.

6 – All seat upholstery has just been replaced with TMI factory style seat covers installed by a local upholstery shop. The original driver’s side was starting to show early signs of wear on the bolsters closest to the door. The rest of the seats looked mint but unfortunately you have to replace all of them in order for the color to match exactly. The driver’s side also got new TMI seat foam.

7 – New steering rack bushings, new Prothane sway bar end links, and new urethane sway bar bushings.

8 – New alternator. The original one was working fine but it just looked old and nasty.

9 – New shocks, struts, and front brakes.

10 – Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro plug wires.

11 – New front oil seal. When I got the car, it had a small oil leak at the front oil seal. I had the seal replaced at my local Ford dealership. The car is now 100% dry and leak free. This means no leaking at the front oil seal, the oil pan gasket, or the rear main seal. These are the 3 most common areas for oil leaks on these cars.

12 – On the sides of the car, I had the body side moldings and the body panels below the moldings sanded and repainted to remove any stone chips. All the lower sections of the body panels are now chip free and look new. I applied 3M clear paint protection film to the lower panels behind the wheels to prevent new chips. The rest of the car is original and looks fine as-is.

13 – Done by the previous owner - new starter motor and new starter relay solenoid.

14 – The windows are tinted from a previous owner. It’s not totally blacked out limo tint, but it’s still pretty dark – looks great against the white body. I had new tint installed to match on the new quarter window before I installed it.

Here is what I know about the vehicle history. This history is based on what the previous owner told me along with what I’ve gleaned from documentation and the Internet. The car was originally purchased by a 62 year old man in St. Louis in November 1991 from Sunset Ford. He owned the car up until his death in 2002 (the car had 21,xxx miles at the time of his death). His nephew, who lived about a mile away, took ownership of the car in June 2002. The nephew owned the car until Nov 2008 when it was sold to a family friend. In May 2009, a classic car dealership named Cedar Line Automotive in Spout Spring, Va. obtained the car. They sold it to a man in South Carolina in June 2009. In May 2011, he sold it to the man I bought it from. The car comes with lots of the original documentation including the bill or sale, the complete owner’s manual packet, original warranty info, copies of the original title, original factory brochure, etc. However, I don’t have the original window sticker.

There are a lot of other little things that I’ve done to the car that are just too much to list. The pictures show a BBK air cleaner on the engine but I have the factory air box and it will be included. I think the car is in amazing shape and needs nothing. It drives smooth and straight. It feels more solid, and handles better than my 3,000 mile, 1993 GT that I sold a few months ago. The A/C works great. In fact, I get a headache it’s so cold.

TIME PERMITTING, I'LL ADD MORE PICTURE BECAUSE I HAVE A BUNCH.

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

18.jpg

23.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

1992-LX-HATCH

Established Member
Here's some more pictures. One of the pics shows the car with black Saleen wheels. I have lots of Fox wheels and change from time to time. Car also has Steeda full length sub frames connectors now. In another month or so I'll be doing H/C/I upgrade unless someone walks up with dead presidents before then.

25.jpg

6.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

1992-LX-HATCH

Established Member
Car is absolutely beautiful. You have really taken good care and beyond. Would you sell the car with the black Saleen wheels?

I stated above that I would sell the car with the stock pony wheels but I found out a while back that the 245/50 tires rub on the front because of the C-springs (245/50's are a very tall tire). Since I can't sell a car with tires that rub, I would sell the car with the silver painted Cobra-R wheels pictured here on my 1993 GT. These are 17x9 and 17x8 with 285's and 235's. The black Saleen wheels I'll be keeping.

SANY0012.jpg

04Red-Snake

Established Member
I stated above that I would sell the car with the stock pony wheels but I found out a while back that the 245/50 tires rub on the front because of the C-springs (245/50's are a very tall tire). Since I can't sell a car with tires that rub, I would sell the car with the silver painted Cobra-R wheels pictured here on my 1993 GT. These are 17x9 and 17x8 with 285's and 235's. The black Saleen wheels I'll be keeping.

SANY0012.jpg

Sorry for my miss, and thank you for your explanation and picture - much appreciated. The silver painted Cobra-R wheels are very nice too. I am trying to determine exactly what I want to do as I am looking at a couple of options, I have always wanted a Fox Mustang, but also want a 1970 Mach1, and I am looking at a couple of really nice vehicles. Wish had the money for all. I will contact you asap if I decide to pursue your vehicle. In the mean time, good luck.

Thank you again and regards,
RBJ

1992-LX-HATCH

Established Member
Thanks for the interest but it looks like I might have a deal pending. To answer the questions about price, $10K is what it took to have this car. Would have liked $11K but Fox prices as down right now. Car like this would have been $12K about 3-4 years ago.

1992-LX-HATCH

Established Member
Thanks for the interest, but I think I'm just going to keep this car and do H/C/I upgrades next month since I've already done all the supporting mods.

Nice hardtops are just getting harder and harder to find and there's nothing else out there right now calling my name. I would have taken $10,000 for this car, but I would need to have a nice coupe lined up to replace it.

I had my eye on Willy's Cobra, but you have to keep a car like that all stock and that's just no fun IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread