1993 Cobra Engine Questions

mystical

Established Member
Hi folks, I'm in the process of doing a 4-cyl conversion on a '90 coupe. I've got a line on a brand new, zero-mile 1993 Cobra motor minus the intake which isn't a problem since I plan on installing a tubular gt40 anyway. I'm wondering do the 1993 Cobras have hypereutectic pistons? I'm under the impression that they do but would like to make sure. Also, I would want to put in an aftermarket cam. I'm wondering what would be a good choice cam in a basically stock motor with a tubular gt40 intake? Finally, what is a fair price to pay for a new motor sans intake? I don't imagine many of them exist. Thanks in advance folks any input is appreciated as I'm a mod motor guy myself and this is all new to me.:beer:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Yes the pistons are hypers.
Nothing bigger than an FMS F-cam, Trick Flow Stg 1 cam or something along those grinds with stock pistons. You will also need springs, retainers etc.
No clue on the $.

mystical

Established Member
I was thinking B or E-303 but was hoping nothing else would need to be changed. Do I need springs, retainers etc? I will leave the stock cam in if so. I'm trying to keep costs down and it is a brand new motor after all.

Last edited:

sled

Established Member
I did have a b303 cam in my car but I figured those things were way out dated by now. My car ran 12s with that cam, exhaust, and 4:11s.

mystical

Established Member
I did have a b303 cam in my car but I figured those things were way out dated by now. My car ran 12s with that cam, exhaust, and 4:11s.

12's are fine with me, it's going to be a cruiser I'm not building a race car by any means.

What is the difference between the B and the E?

sled

Established Member
I believe the e cam has more lift and less duration, but with 1.7 rockers it's not gonna matter. it'll pull hard to 6k with a b cam and about 5300 with a e cam.

buddha93

Established Member
I'm assuming this is a long block.

I don't know that I would pay any extra for it being a 93 Cobra setup, as the block is nothing special, nor or it's internals. The heads are decent, but they a plenty out there that are better. I'm guessing whoever has is it looking for somewhere around $3k for it. A shortblock would be about a grand cheaper.

mystical

Established Member
I'm assuming this is a long block.

I don't know that I would pay any extra for it being a 93 Cobra setup, as the block is nothing special, nor or it's internals. The heads are decent, but they a plenty out there that are better. I'm guessing whoever has is it looking for somewhere around $3k for it. A shortblock would be about a grand cheaper.

Yes it is a complete motor without an intake. I will be putting a tubular gt40 on it. To be honest I was looking for a pre '93 motor because of the forged pistons but came across this instead. I understand that the Cobras had a different cam in them. I'm still on the fence whether or not to change it. I wouldn't mind some lope but at the same time I don't know if I want to mess with a virgin, untouched motor. Any recommendations?

He hasn't given me a price yet but I'm thinking $3K is a bit high no?

buddha93

Established Member
Well, I've not done much engine parts pricing in some time, but I know the stuff hasn't gotten any cheaper. If this thing is still on the pallet and never been fired, $3k isn't completely insane, though not worth it my book considering the cast parts and iron heads with todays offerings.

I would try and compare it to what Ford is currently offering:

Ford Racing M-6007-X302 - Ford Racing 306 C.I.D. 340 HP Crate Engines - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If $4k will get you forged parts and aluminum heads, what is this guys Cobra engine worth? I'd consider it for $2500, but not a cent more. Just my 2 cents.

I've seen low mileage ones (around 30k) from pan to intake in the $2k range.

mystical

Established Member
I would have to agree. I'm wondering what are your thoughts regarding my cam dilemma?

bossman302

Banned
I run a B-Cam with mine, and run consistant 12's all day, to say the B-cam is outdated is just crazy, LOL. It is a very good cam with Cast Iron GT-40's and the gt40-X heads, makes good power and torque, I put down 325 at the wheels witha B can in a stock Cobra short block.

mystical

Established Member
I run a B-Cam with mine, and run consistant 12's all day, to say the B-cam is outdated is just crazy, LOL. It is a very good cam with Cast Iron GT-40's and the gt40-X heads, makes good power and torque, I put down 325 at the wheels witha B can in a stock Cobra short block.

Nice #'s. What other mods do you have?

mystical

Established Member
So it's a stock Cobra motor with a B-cam and longtubes? How is the driveability with the cam? I hear the B-cam is pretty lumpy and even more so with the 1.7 rockers.

bossman302

Banned
Not really, I Installed a IAC adjuster in my car, and it starts and runs great, yes it's choppy but not radical. Proper tuning is a must after a cam install.

sled

Established Member
the B cam came out in the 1990s. Not saying its a bad cam but, their are better cams out there these days. Anderson ford motorsports has some good ones.

bossman302

Banned
The B-Cam is still one of the Best Mild Street cams on the market. Even if it is way old. And I do agree their are some better cams, but for the money, and that it has proven it's self to work great in street cars is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread