1993 Cobra R upper intake differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asperformance

Banned
I was putiing my 93R motor Back together yeaterday and noticed that the intake is Slightly differnet than my 93 Cobra, The Drivers side edge is Completely flat, My car is #19 and used as the Ford Press car, I looked at my Cobra Book I got from SVT when I bought my 03 Cobra, it has a nice article on the R cars, and the 93R Shown has the same intake as mine, but all the others I have looked at have had the regular 93 Cobra upper, Now mind you it is slightly Different, on the Drivers side it is flat on the side, where most have a 2 step sort of look, if you have an early car could you see if yours is like mine or did Ford install it for maybe more Air FLow, it also has had the Upper and lower ported as well as the Heads, and they look like they where professionaly done, Any suggestions.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
asperformance said:
I was putiing my 93R motor Back together yeaterday and noticed that the intake is Slightly differnet than my 93 Cobra, The Drivers side edge is Completely flat, My car is #19 and used as the Ford Press car, I looked at my Cobra Book I got from SVT when I bought my 03 Cobra, it has a nice article on the R cars, and the 93R Shown has the same intake as mine, but all the others I have looked at have had the regular 93 Cobra upper, Now mind you it is slightly Different, on the Drivers side it is flat on the side, where most have a 2 step sort of look, if you have an early car could you see if yours is like mine or did Ford install it for maybe more Air FLow, it also has had the Upper and lower ported as well as the Heads, and they look like they where professionaly done, Any suggestions.

How do these two variations compare with the Cobra intake that is readily available on eBay?, the one that looks like the 93 Cobra replacement?

This one.....................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...tegoryZ36474QQihZ018QQitemZ280133129084QQrdZ1

R

Last edited:

Speedfreek

Established Member
Yes all early # cars have the flat intake I think up to #2-300 or so on regualr production Cobras. Kind of strange yours would have that intake. Even tho it is a low # R it was still built well into the 93 Production run around middle of the run when the other intakes were being installed.

asperformance

Banned
Like I said this being the Ford press car, I think the early intake made a little more power. I have talked to a few people with Low # 93R and they have the same intake as I do, Thanks for the response.

asperformance

Banned
Rob, My intake is not one of the New one's they make, It is the Original one I got with the car, was told By Chris Kauffman it was the ont that was on it when he purchased it from Ford when they where done with the car on the west coast. Can't wait to Drive it this week, going to take it to mustang weel. Should have it running today.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
asperformance said:
Rob, My intake is not one of the New one's they make, It is the Original one I got with the car, was told By Chris Kauffman it was the ont that was on it when he purchased it from Ford when they where done with the car on the west coast. Can't wait to Drive it this week, going to take it to mustang weel. Should have it running today.

As verified above, the early intakes were not like the later intakes in the 93 Cobra production. Maybe it is a vendor difference?

Glad your R is almost ready to drive. Let us know how it goes!!

R

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The ridge was added to stiffen up the intake and remove some type of intake noise. There is no power difference between the two intakes. My guess would be that Ford replaced the intake with an extrude honed piece to get more power out of the press car which was pretty common back then.

93R #8 was a race car and has an upper like yours.

93R's #11 & # 22 are wrapper cars and both have intakes with the ridge.

My money would be that cars that came from the factory with the ridged intakes as the R engines are really not any different than the street Cobra engines and the extrude honed intake was added after the fact. A simple look at the date code on your lower intake should clear that up.

What early number cars are you referring to which have the same intakes as you?

I have seen cars up into the 400 range with the flat intake. I've heard that the break was around car 500 somewhere but haven't confirmed it. There is also a suffix bump in the part number on the underside of the intake.

Last edited:

drkhrse

Established Member
My 93 cobra (#112) had the flat intake (changed it out yet still have it) , 93 cobra R #58 has the ridge.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Since the 93R models were built consecutively in April (except the last 7) they would all have the intake with a ridge.

The flat intake was only on car built in the first month or so of production ( i.e. Feb. time frame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread