1993 Fox Body Coyote Whipple Track Car Project

Grayden39

Established Member
Man that is a bad ass build right there!

I run AER endurance racing in an 87' Cougar with stock 15' Mustang GT engine and tranny. Where did you source your hydro boost setup from? We're running a Wilwood pedal setup but just can't seem to get the balance we need with pedal travel and effort. We've considerd going the hydro boost route. I ran that on my AS Mustang when I ran SCCA and loved the consistency of the pedal.

Please keep updating photos and info during your build.

We have not done anything with the hydro boost set up yet. The one I have is a Ford Mustang factory piece, out of a later model car. I can find out the year. With the coyote engine being so big, there is no room for a booster. So its either manual brakes or hydroboost. I hate manual brakes. My other fox body mustang that was a track only car made 500 rwhp, had SN 95 brakes with Hawk blue pads in the front, and Porterfield R1 pads in the rear. That was the best set up.

03'Darin

Established Member
I like a car with very light pedal effort so dealing with the manual brakes is rough for me. The initial master cylinders we went with had short pedal throw but required a lot of pedal effort. We've changed those around now but the pedal travel is now so long it won't work. We went manual for ease of installation, price and two of the other drivers have dirt track back round so they are used to/like the harder pedal effort.

We are running somewhat of a hodge podge brake setup. Up front we're running late 60's Lincoln fixed 4 piston calipers on 14" GT500 rotors and stock Mustang GT brakes out back. Brakes are CHEAP and work well. But we need to sort the pedal travel/effort out.

Grayden39

Established Member
Pedal feel and difficulty to push are two things that I am very anal about. You have to not worry about that when road racing. The brakes just need to be there when you want them. The hydro boost set up is off a 98 to 04 mustang.

Grayden39

Established Member
Made some progress on the suspension. I am going to build the complete K member, suspension, and tranny cross member on the pallet. Then drop the engine, headers, x pipe, blower, front dress, clutch, and tranny on the K member and tranny cross member. Then lower the car down and bolt it in. There will be some clearance issues with A/c compressor that we will have to notch the frame. But it should slide right in, I hope.

Grayden39

Established Member
image000000 (98).jpg
image000000 (100).jpg
image000000 (102).jpg
image000000 (104).jpg
image000000 (106).jpg

Grayden39

Established Member
Made some progress on the Griggs frame kit. The passenger side had some issues to manage so I did it first. The sub frame was rolled over to the inside of the car a little and the floor was smashed up. I think the car was dropped onto a jack stand or dropped of a curb at one point in its life. Then someone tried to smash the floor down and put some weird bondo coating on the inside of the floor. I have the frame rail straightened and the floor flattened out. I will flatten the floor and make it better once I get the final fitment of the new rail done and welded in. The driver side will be getting done tomorrow. it should be a little easier as it is normal. It does not even have the normal floor rips from the drivers seat. The only issue there is for some reason someone cut off the front seat studs at one point. So I will have to fix that as well. They held the front seat in the front with Unistrut and screws. LOL. Some people should not work on cars.

Grayden39

Established Member
Rebuilding the whole air box. Little bit of a pain. Could not split the top from the bottom as the plastic has gotten brittle over the years. So I cut a hole in the top to get the A/c part out. I will have to bend a new cap piece out of sheet ABS to close it back up.
image000000 (114).jpg

Grayden39

Established Member
This is my old road race car. At this point it was full Griggs car with a 320 RWHP 306 with Brodix heads.
image000000 (110).jpg
image000000 (112).jpg
It had a G-force T-5 in to as well. I later put a super charger on it and made 500RWHP. Mustang 5.0 magazine came out to Buttonwillow to take pictures. And the car was in the October 2004 edition.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is my old road race car. At this point it was full Griggs car with a 320 RWHP 306 with Brodix heads. View attachment 1508014 View attachment 1508015 It had a G-force T-5 in to as well. I later put a super charger on it and made 500RWHP. Mustang 5.0 magazine came out to Buttonwillow to take pictures. And the car was in the October 2004 edition.

I remember (and probably still own) that issue!

Grayden39

Established Member
Thanks everybody. Hopefully a few months and it is all together. Got the other Griggs frame kit rail in on Saturday.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
This is my old road race car. At this point it was full Griggs car with a 320 RWHP 306 with Brodix heads. View attachment 1508014 View attachment 1508015 It had a G-force T-5 in to as well. I later put a super charger on it and made 500RWHP. Mustang 5.0 magazine came out to Buttonwillow to take pictures. And the car was in the October 2004 edition.

Is it sad that I remember that one from the car on the cover? Mags have gone to shit these days. I guess I'm just getting old :(
Haha

smitty2919

Established Member
Dedicated road race car + whipple has me confused...seems like a high potential for heat and scorching IAT's.

Users who are viewing this thread