1995 poor idle

wr450

Established Member
idles decent at 10 to 13 14 degrees of timing anything past that and it surges up and down at idle ive only moved it past that point a little at a time to see if i could find any pinging and didnt all yhe way to 20 degrees and yes i run 93 premium all the tune items have been replaced plugs wires coil tfi couldntnt find the pcv. along with that what other tune items should i replace. also i ran a can of seafoam thru the brake booster line

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
PCV is at the back on the lower intake.
You can clean the throttle body and the IAC valve.

Find where your car likes its base timing the best and leave it there.

wr450

Established Member
thanks buddy allready cleaned the throttle body and mass air when i put the cai on what side of lower intake is the pcv on and what and where is the IAC valve. set the timing at 12 degrees seems to be good car has orx and 2.5 flowmasters and tailpipes was thinkin 70mm throttle body for the kid for x mas, what else can i do to get the most outta the car, tune and if so any recomendations

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
thanks buddy allready cleaned the throttle body and mass air when i put the cai on what side of lower intake is the pcv on and what and where is the IAC valve.

Hope this picture helps, this shows the back of the lower intake, in the middle. The hole there is where the PCV goes.
$_1.JPG

set the timing at 12 degrees seems to be good car has orx and 2.5 flowmasters and tailpipes was thinkin 70mm throttle body for the kid for x mas, what else can i do to get the most outta the car, tune and if so any recomendations

For a tune, since youre in Michigan, you could check out Alternative Performance.

Few guys that can help over the internet (that are good with the 94-95 computers) are, in no particular order:
Decipha (screen name on Corral) http://www.efidynotuning.com/
Don Lasota : http://www.lasotaracing.com/
Willie @ Dirtydirtyracing.com : http://www.dirtydirtyracing.com/zc/
64 bit tuning https://www.facebook.com/64bittuning/

Besides your typical bolt ons, you're then getting into heads/cam/intake packages or power adders.

wr450

Established Member
what about the IAC what is it and where is it. as far as tune if i do anything ill use lidio just dont know if there is much to be had on that car i know the new ones it can be significant. if i rememember right back in the day when these cars were new the fast guys just advanced the base timing to around 14 degrees i dont recall anybody putting chips in their cars. kid loves this thing cruising around the small towns where we live pipeing everything in sight

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
IAC (Idle Air Control)on a 94-95 5.0L
a. is 8mm bolts
b. the actual IAC
c. connector for the IAC.
iac1.jpg

At its current state a chip (not one of those bullshit hypertech one either) is probably not worth it. Some gains can be had though even with an "email tune". Cheapest Ive seen and used personally is about $199 using a moates chip, however my car is not stock.

wr450

Established Member
take the IAC off and clean it or replace it. kids birthday is next sat you talked me into the pro kit and str,s what do u think about a throttle body i hear that car has a 70mm intake opening so you gotta think a 70mm body wouldnt hurt ive heard different things about the stock body size looks like its 65mm

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
take the IAC off and clean it or replace it. kids birthday is next sat you talked me into the pro kit and str,s what do u think about a throttle body i hear that car has a 70mm intake opening so you gotta think a 70mm body wouldnt hurt ive heard different things about the stock body size looks like its 65mm

I would clean it with a throttle body & air intake cleaner and put it back on, if it looks gunked up.

Stock throttle body size was actually 60mm, on both the GT and Cobra. A 70mm throttle body will help gain some power. Buy a good brand, dont buy Professional Products throttle bodies or any offshore made one.

wr450

Established Member
was looking at the bbk dont want to spend accufab money ran across the sr brand from american muscle for 75 less than bbk the reviews were all good hate to rub nickels on quality but mama ran off few years back and left me with two kids so anywhere i can save i do. all the reviews i went thru this morn most people say larger throttle bodys are a waste and that might be true with a gt but the cobras larger injectors and intake and upper end and the fact the car has exhaust i cant imagine it wont add hp, exhaust lets more out so bring a little more in right. anyway what brand ill take your advise thanks pal

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
was looking at the bbk dont want to spend accufab money ran across the sr brand from american muscle for 75 less than bbk the reviews were all good hate to rub nickels on quality but mama ran off few years back and left me with two kids so anywhere i can save i do. all the reviews i went thru this morn most people say larger throttle bodys are a waste and that might be true with a gt but the cobras larger injectors and intake and upper end and the fact the car has exhaust i cant imagine it wont add hp, exhaust lets more out so bring a little more in right. anyway what brand ill take your advise thanks pal

SR is a "house brand" for American Muscle, as is SVE for Latemodel Resto.

BBK or Edelbrock seem to be the viable choices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread