1995 R Computer code reader

b4409

Established Member
Guys, I've tried every which way to get my Actron CP9145 to interface with the R. It has the OBD II type port, but I can't get it to read anything other than a "connection error" no matter what vehicle I select (i.e. - V8 mustang 94, 95, 96, 5.8L HO F150 etc.) Of course, the 5.8 does not show by VIN when selecting the vehicle, it passes the wiggle test, etc. It goes through its processes but won't communicate with the vehicle.

I'm sure there is a simple way or OBD I way to read the codes using my scanner? Or maybe not?

I'm thinking the computer is fine as the car seems to run pretty well, nice A/F ratio, etc. but I was curious to read the codes and have seen the check engine light flash before.

bruce

Philcsag1

Established Member
No OBD II port in a 95 R ????

The 95 R does not have an OBD II port.

What are you plugging the device into.?

The 95 R computer is diagnostic port is from a EEC connector on Passenger side near the fire wall.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^ That is what I was thinking. Being able to plug into an OBD port for programming and code reading did not start untill '96.

b4409

Established Member
The 95 R does not have an OBD II port.

What are you plugging the device into.?

The 95 R computer is diagnostic port is from a EEC connector on Passenger side near the fire wall.

Well, it has the same port in the same location as my 00R's did. It's factory as far as I can tell but must be something else - maybe just be a tease. There is an "EEC test" port near the firewall like you say. Maybe there is a splicing harness for OBD I to my Actron.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Does your check engine light flash or is it just on constant?

Ruslow

Established Member
the 95s' have the obd port what it does I don't know maybe abs?but you need to access the computer interface thru the eec connector on the fender well.Stan

b4409

Established Member
Does your check engine light flash or is it just on constant?

It has flashed at me before - once it did it three times after start up. Of course, I'm always disconnecting the battery via the kill switch, so that might freak it out too. I just started the car and let it idle. No light as usual. What I did notice is it takes FOREVER for the electric fan to come on!

the 95s' have the obd port what it does I don't know maybe abs?but you need to access the computer interface thru the eec connector on the fender well.Stan

Ah, well at least someone agrees that it has the port!

I just ordered an EEC cable interface for the Actron unit from vatozone for $37 delivered with tax. :banana: Fortunately, the tax no longer goes to the honest IL politicians :bash:

95R#177

Established Member
Bruce,
I have a custom chip plugged into my engine computer. My electric cooling fan takes a long time to come on too, but the engine warms up slowly. Since I put in the 180 deg thermostat, and un-cluttered the engine bay, it has never gotten hot enough to kick on the electric fan during driving. Even with on-track ambient outside temps over 95 deg F. I also occasionally get a check engine light. The check engine light may be due to how I have the EGR valve wiring capped off.

Ruslow

Established Member
On mine I run the J4J1 computer and reflash the chip so that I do not do harm to an unobtainable computer.[have seen a few flashes wipe out the memory of the computer].By doing that I can turn off the air and the egr and tune for what I do.Have a 90 maf and bigger injectors plus other stuff and great idle and runs cool in 100+ heat,which is more than I can say for the driver!Stan

Philcsag1

Established Member
Well, it has the same port in the same location as my 00R's did. It's factory as far as I can tell but must be something else - maybe just be a tease. There is an "EEC test" port near the firewall like you say. Maybe there is a splicing harness for OBD I to my Actron.

I am very sure it is a stand alone Air Bag diagnostic port

Philcsag1

Established Member
Bruce,
I have a custom chip plugged into my engine computer. My electric cooling fan takes a long time to come on too, but the engine warms up slowly. Since I put in the 180 deg thermostat, and un-cluttered the engine bay, it has never gotten hot enough to kick on the electric fan during driving. Even with on-track ambient outside temps over 95 deg F. I also occasionally get a check engine light. The check engine light may be due to how I have the EGR valve wiring capped off.

the factory Settings for the J4J computer (which is a NON Cobra R ECU) ( ZAO is 95 R computer)

The fan has 2 speeds.

Coolant temperature controls set point

Low Speed when coolant reaches 221 Degree Fahrenheit fan cuts in

if coolant continues to climb it will trigger High Speed

High Speed when coolant reaches 228 Degree Fahrenheit the fan runs on high

When Coolant temp drops to 200 Degree Fahrenheit fan will cut out.

If Vehicle is moving faster the 45 MPH fan will not run.

95R#177

Established Member
the factory Settings for the J4J computer (which is a NON Cobra R ECU) ( ZAO is 95 R computer)

The fan has 2 speeds.

Coolant temperature controls set point

Low Speed when coolant reaches 221 Degree Fahrenheit fan cuts in

if coolant continues to climb it will trigger High Speed

High Speed when coolant reaches 228 Degree Fahrenheit the fan runs on high

When Coolant temp drops to 200 Degree Fahrenheit fan will cut out.

If Vehicle is moving faster the 45 MPH fan will not run.

thanks! this explains alot of my observations

Users who are viewing this thread