1996-98 Cobra or 1999-00 SS???

2000wrx

Established Member
I am looking to put together a driveable 10 second car. I have been sitting in the LS1 camp for a lil while now as they seem to give so much bang for the buck.

My budget should be 12-14K to purchase the car, then more for mods over time. With an LS1 I can get a nice lower mile 1999-00 SS 6MT car, then do the basics, and H/C/NOS my way inot the 10's

Though I have a very warm spot for stangs, missing the sound of my old LX and loving the sound of the 4.6 dohc I was considering taking a second look at the 1996-98 Cobras, as I like the look of that body.

Though I after a lil research it seems I would need to spend a considerable amount more to reach my goal in the stang.

Please chime in and help me on my journey.

Thanks

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
I would agree with going with the SS, although a Z would be even cheaper that an SS. Then again, there's nothing wrong with another fast Stang in Detroit.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
Cobra. plain and simple. sure itll probably be cheaper to get an SS into the 10s but you want a driver right? Better visibility, drivability, gas mileage, plus chicks like Cobras better than Camaros. its a proven fact

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
SS purely for your goal. There's a silver one around here and he clicks off low-mid 10's on some spray. Looks innocent as hell, totally streetable. I really like Cobras and f-bods aren't my cup of tea, but for this they would be easier and cheaper to get there. However, I do like the idea of a sleeper 10sec Cobra:D

2000wrx

Established Member
I would love to do a Cobra but the cost would be sick I think:

5.0 forged stroker
Vortech or the like
all bolt ons
fuel
suspension
tuning

thats what 15-17K over the cost of the Cobra... which also seem to be a lil more expensive than a 2 year newer SS.

The SS isn't my first choice, as I like the Cobra better. But it is a nice car, looks good, is very mod friendly, and GM has a nice parts bid from which to shop. Doesn't take much to turn a 5.7 into a nice 6.0L :) LS6 goods swap on nice to.

Oh well... I just thought I would check in see if anyone could prove me worng so I could see the sense in getting a Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread