1996 Mustang Cobra SVT Vortech Blown

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
Sup guys,
it's been a very long time since I've been on this website but about a month ago the Cobra crapped out on me on the freeway. So I figured I'd ask you for some help since I'm about out of options with zero results. I was cruising doing 80 with the top down and heater on full blast when I lost all throttle input. No matter how far the peddle went, it didn't accelerate. Car sits with 11k OG miles and I always top it off trying not to pass half a tank with Chevron. Right now, and the night I was driving around I had about a quarter of a tank left. I also started it up with the kill switch on but I quickly killed the car and disabled the kill switch. All the fuses are good, lines are good as far as I can see. Can't look under the hood as the Cobra sits 21/2 inches off the ground but visually there's nothing wrong. When it started to die out/stall there's a lot of popping coming from the exhaust (air pockets) so I presume there's a lack of fuel going into the chambers. The fuel pump also sounds like shit and only primes about half as long as it used to. The fuel pump is an in line unit by Vortech, 155 LPH I believe. I don't have the part number on hand atm but they want over 350 bucks from me for a new one if I need it. And the chances of it turning over a very slim to dangerous. I blame the fuel pump, fuel filter and possibly CCRM. Mainly the fuel pump is my culprit, but I haven't done a fuel pressure test yet (Don't have the tools:nonono:)
Car passes smog always, has a Vortech V2 package (Fuel pump, Fuel Reg., Intake, Supercharger)
I can go into more details if asked, but I have literally no cash, just quit my job and both my liter bike and Cobra went out on me in the same month. It's been quite the wild ride. I need to get one of my babies up and running to get to college otherwise I'm ****ed. Any ideas or thoughts on my situation? I would post some pictures but I don't know how on this website.
Names Tracy, #949-973-5654

smashedheadcat

Established Member
It seems like a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pumps make some weird sounds when the fuel filter needs replaced. That's a quick and cheap way to possibly fix your problem. You can check flow with a bucket if you don't have the $4 or whatever it costs to replace it.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
Not possible (nckissfan) from what I've learned in college. I got the car to turn over and drive 8 miles before the popping commenced. Then it died out and it won't turn over after that.
(smashedheadcat) You know I've been thinking about the filter going bad but I come up with this way of trying to explain everything to myself. Why would my filter go back with only 11k miles and I run good gas. I forgot my Cobra sat in the garage for 7 years straight. I'll look into finding a good replacement filter and figure out what I need to take off to change it out. Does anyone know if the in line fuel pump has a shrader valve in it? Perhaps while I'm taking things apart I should try to clean up some parts that may be clogged? Or just throw in some chevron cleaning additive which is really hardcore and does the job well.

Last edited:

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I forgot my Cobra sat in the garage for 7 years straight. I'll look into finding a good replacement filter and figure out what I need to take off to change it out. Does anyone know if the in line fuel pump has a shrader valve in it? Perhaps while I'm taking things apart I should try to clean up some parts that may be clogged? Or just throw in some chevron cleaning additive which is really hardcore and does the job well.

Have you done maintance or just drove it as is? Just because you have low miles does not mean your engine is "new." As a matter of fact, considering its almost 20 years old after sitting for 7 years your lucky you didn't brake anything important (hopefully). I would take a 96 cobra with 120k miles and a fully rebuilt motor with 11k miles on build over a 96 cobra with 11 k miles that sat for 7 years. Rule of thumb is to start it up and use it at least every other week or things are bound to go wrong. It sounds like you should start with the routine maintance, spark plugs fuel filter etc. fuel system next if that fails. 7 years of gas sitting damages the fuel lines. Normally it is customary to drain ALL fluids including gas and coolant and oil If you plan on letting the car sit. Good luck let us know how it turns out

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Sitting for years with fuel is most certainly part of your problems. I've never really advocated draining the fluids for sitting cars, I prefer them to be full. Anyway, you say your car doesn't turn-over? Meaning when you turn the key the engine does not rotate? Or does it crank and just not fire? Fuel will start to break down after 60 days or so and certainly comes suspect by 90 days without any stabilizer. When fuel breaks down it'll ends up being rather "gel-like". This crap will certainly clog a fuel filter or fuel injectors quite easily. I would recommend going to rockauto.com and picking up their cheapest fuel filter (if you're broke) and starting with that (if your car cranks when you turn the key). A fuel system cleaner won't do anything for a clogged fuel filter. After changing the filter, you could a fuel cleaner/treatment of some kind, but I figure there's plenty of cleaning additives in fuel these days. If you have old fuel in the tank, get rid of it. Drain it, syphon it, or at the very least fill up with new fuel. That should dillute it enough to rid you of these issues. Odds are, you fuel pump(s) are fine. They do wierd things when they are starved for fuel (clogged filter).

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
Have you done maintance or just drove it as is? Just because you have low miles does not mean your engine is "new." As a matter of fact, considering its almost 20 years old after sitting for 7 years your lucky you didn't brake anything important (hopefully). I would take a 96 cobra with 120k miles and a fully rebuilt motor with 11k miles on build over a 96 cobra with 11 k miles that sat for 7 years. Rule of thumb is to start it up and use it at least every other week or things are bound to go wrong. It sounds like you should start with the routine maintance, spark plugs fuel filter etc. fuel system next if that fails. 7 years of gas sitting damages the fuel lines. Normally it is customary to drain ALL fluids including gas and coolant and oil If you plan on letting the car sit. Good luck let us know how it turns out

I took the vehicle out of the garage 2011 and started using it as my DD. It got very little to no attention while sitting for several years. It went through three batteries as well. Once in awhile we ran it but not enough. Since 2011 he hasn't sat for more than 60 days under my roof. The only problem I've had is the car dying on me randomly which I could not explain nor anyone else. I know this isn't relevant right now but I'll explain it in fine and short detail. Cruising down the road coming to a turn/stop I'd throw it into neutral still braking and it would just die. RPMs at idle are 550 but it does have a super attached. I checked the MAF sensor and everything else and can't explain why it just shuts off. Other than that I've changed the plugs (at the time they were 50 cents each (COPPER CORE)conductor wires, oil, cleaned the air filter) Only thing I haven't done was change the brake fluid and coolant. Even has new tires which I'm not too happy with (NITTO NT555s) So this incident is very absurd and scary to me. It's only failed smog once and that was when it sat for a long time and I was a child at the time.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
Sitting for years with fuel is most certainly part of your problems. I've never really advocated draining the fluids for sitting cars, I prefer them to be full. Anyway, you say your car doesn't turn-over? Meaning when you turn the key the engine does not rotate? Or does it crank and just not fire? Fuel will start to break down after 60 days or so and certainly comes suspect by 90 days without any stabilizer. When fuel breaks down it'll ends up being rather "gel-like". This crap will certainly clog a fuel filter or fuel injectors quite easily. I would recommend going to rockauto.com and picking up their cheapest fuel filter (if you're broke) and starting with that (if your car cranks when you turn the key). A fuel system cleaner won't do anything for a clogged fuel filter. After changing the filter, you could a fuel cleaner/treatment of some kind, but I figure there's plenty of cleaning additives in fuel these days. If you have old fuel in the tank, get rid of it. Drain it, syphon it, or at the very least fill up with new fuel. That should dillute it enough to rid you of these issues. Odds are, you fuel pump(s) are fine. They do wierd things when they are starved for fuel (clogged filter).

It's a shot in the dark how it'll turn out. Last time I tried to start it I played with my ignition till the Vortech fuel pump sounded like its normal self and I got to drive 8 miles trying to get it home to fix it before it started acting up. And when you try to start it after the problem occurs it shakes the whole powertrain and pops vigorously. You may get it started if you floor the gas pedal but I wouldn't recommend doing that. It'll only damage the engine I'm sure. So smashedheadcat, that's why I'm so confused that I'm having problems now when I've been doing maintenance on the car and filling it with high tier gas and never running it under half a tank. I also run it once a week (Thursday (Race Night) just to get the fluids moving. I was able to drive it 40 miles after it sat for a week the night I took it out, only ended up giving me problems on the freeway home doing 80 MPH.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
The best course of action is to go after the problem one item at a time. It definitely seems fuel delivery related. Jack the rear of the car up and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter (on the fuel rail side). Grab a friend and a bucket or oil drain pan. Point the open end of the fuel filter into the bucket and have your friend hit turn the key to the run position. The pump will kick on and it should move a healthy stream of fuel into the drain pan. If it doesn't, disconnect the line at fuel filter on the tank side and repeat the process. If you get a healthy stream into the pan then you have a clogged fuel filter. If you get a weak stream you probably have a fuel pump issue (which I doubt). You can do that for free.

Another free thing to do is to use (if you have one) or borrow a SCT or diablo programmer. Do what you have to do and log the short term fuel trims.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I took the vehicle out of the garage 2011 and started using it as my DD. It got very little to no attention while sitting for several years. It went through three batteries as well. Once in awhile we ran it but not enough. Since 2011 he hasn't sat for more than 60 days under my roof. The only problem I've had is the car dying on me randomly which I could not explain nor anyone else. I know this isn't relevant right now but I'll explain it in fine and short detail. Cruising down the road coming to a turn/stop I'd throw it into neutral still braking and it would just die. RPMs at idle are 550 but it does have a super attached. I checked the MAF sensor and everything else and can't explain why it just shuts off. Other than that I've changed the plugs (at the time they were 50 cents each (COPPER CORE)conductor wires, oil, cleaned the air filter) Only thing I haven't done was change the brake fluid and coolant. Even has new tires which I'm not too happy with (NITTO NT555s) So this incident is very absurd and scary to me. It's only failed smog once and that was when it sat for a long time and I was a child at the time.

Three batteries!? wow thats alot lol did spark plugs fix the battery problem? I have a very good feeling your shut off problem is fuel related just as smashheadcat and i have said. Your car is shutting off because it cannot deliver the fuel properly

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
The best course of action is to go after the problem one item at a time. It definitely seems fuel delivery related. Jack the rear of the car up and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter (on the fuel rail side). Grab a friend and a bucket or oil drain pan. Point the open end of the fuel filter into the bucket and have your friend hit turn the key to the run position. The pump will kick on and it should move a healthy stream of fuel into the drain pan. If it doesn't, disconnect the line at fuel filter on the tank side and repeat the process. If you get a healthy stream into the pan then you have a clogged fuel filter. If you get a weak stream you probably have a fuel pump issue (which I doubt). You can do that for free.

Another free thing to do is to use (if you have one) or borrow a SCT or diablo programmer. Do what you have to do and log the short term fuel trims.

+1

I've never really advocated draining the fluids for sitting cars, I prefer them to be full.

I agree, with the only exception being if you plan on parking your car for an extended period of time. My buddy in the military is stationed over seas right now and he had the same thoughts i did and drained all his mach 1's fluids before leaving town.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member

"Fuel rail side" not sure what you mean by that hah. There's several filters on rockauto, I was looking at picking up the FG800A from motorcraft for 10 bucks. I don't know anyone that has a programmer, at least not anymore. But I'll do what you have instructed me to do tomorrow since I don't have school then.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
What don't you like about NITTO NT555s?

Changing the plugs did nothing. Just went from old plugs to new is all. I went from having 10/10 tires in wet/dry to 6/10 ish wet/dry. I was running EAGLE GSC 245 front 255 rear but they stopped making them and I couldn't find another tire of equal value at the time (2011) Granted those GSCs were old as shit so changing them was needed. I was going to pick up some Toyos but I did get a great deal on the Nittos. 400 bucks out the door.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
I ordered an FG800A from O'reillys and it'll come in tomorrow. So I'll let you know how tomorrow goes guys. Would be nice if I had your cell phones to communicate faster but I posted mine. Hopefully this is it!

Last edited:

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member

So I disconnected the fuel rail side first and a lot of gas came out. Why the contents were under pressure is unknown. I played with the pump several days ago but perhaps that is why. Anyways, I drained the filter and waited a few minutes. Did the test and a high stream came out. Did this 4 times and it got worse and worse. I removed the filter and just ran it and dribbles came out. It got worse and worse till a couple drops was all that came out. Pump still primes like it's half ass self that I don't know it for. Surely it doesn't prime as long as it used to.

So I am out of ideas in regards to this. I don't want to go buy another pump unless one of you thinks that's my issue. Obviously troubleshoots some more would help me instead of throwing parts at it. I will def. change the filter anyway. What I do know that I need is a schematic from Ford for my fuel system. I cannot find a downloadable technical service manual for the life of me for a 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra. Perhaps someone has this on file or a website that I can't seem to search? I'd DL it off piratebay but I don't trust those torrents. If I had a better understand of how my fuel system worked that may help me indeed. The configuration I have is very different from stock because of the inline pump.

So, I am all ears again guys. Thank you very much for your help so far though, I've made some good progress in the course of 3 days just from your input.

96stangCobraSVT

390 rwhp
Established Member
I got it running!!!! Added 5 gallons of gas and tested the old filter and nothing came out. Took it off and I had a solid stream of fuel. Slapped on the new filter and went roarin down OC for a few hours burning up a shit ton of carbon and gas while I was at it. Hit 110 easily whew

Thanks for the help guys couldn't have done it without your help =)

Users who are viewing this thread