1996 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6L & 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 | Retro Review

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
I have no regrets going from the 01 Cobra to the firehawk. I remember selling the 01 Cobra and I would get phone calls and people would ask is it supercharged ? I would say NO and I would just hear a dial tone. Lol you have to love how the LS motor responds to mods and how cheap it is to make them go fast compared to 4v na. I do love my terminator more since it's so smooth to drive compared to the fbody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
305HP for '96-98 Cobras, 320 for '99-01 (sans whatever intake manifold debacle Ford had going on at the time). Between 305 and 335HP on the '98-02 Camaro/Trans Am cars, depending on year and trim. For instance, late '01 and all '02 SS and WS6 cars made good power, but a stock '98 Z like mine would have made 305HP. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Gearing was really the difference maker with these cars.

While that seems to be on the upper end of stock Cobra times if memory serves me right, plenty of LS1 cars were making those times. Either way, stock for stock and mod for mod, it would be hard to bet against an LS1 versus an NA Cobra.

My 01 ran 13.5 @ 105 stock. However i had a string of 13.6-13.7’s as well. I always found it was a drivers race between 01 Cobra’s and LS1’s. All bets are off when modding though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Some more in period retro goodness

And

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is pure automotive video gold.

;)......I had a 94 GT and still love that body style. Especially that Cobra. ******Cues the Memories song*********

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
94 GT you say????

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That post is Platinum. That is the very one I had....spec wise. I had the Rio Red down to the optional 17 inch rims. It was very slow but still had a lot of fun in it.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
That takes me back. I love the WS6's and the old 96-98 Cobras. I just wished they put the "crab claw" spoiler that came on the 94/95 Cobras on the 96-98 Cobras too.
I could not agree more with you about the spoiler. I had both a 95 and 97 cobra. I loved the 94/95 spoiler but Ford got cheap so they wouldn't have to have a different die for the trunk lid and just put the same spoiler on the GT's and Cobra in 96. 94/95 had the third brake light in the spoiler and the trunk lid hole wasn't there. I ended up buying a 95 style spoiler, minus the 3rd brake light, and installed it on my 97.

Users who are viewing this thread