1997 Cobra Help With Exhaust

Jrs7686

Established Member
Hi All,

Been viewing the forums from a distant for a while now, but ready to ask for help.

Long story short, I took my father's 1997 Cobra off of him summer of 2021 as he can't drive it anymore .The car needs some TLC. He bought the car from ebay back in 2007, it car came with some after market parts on it and the exhaust I assume is one of them. It has H-pipe configuration with one CAT each side, and a muffler that has no name brand on it.

Currently the muffle baffle is rattling around makes lots of noise and sometimes gets in the way of the exhaust flow and changes the tone. I want to replace them with a like for like muffle but have no clue who makes theses. My guess was some older Pypes or Flow Masters, but I can't confirm. see links below

-JRS

Jrs7686

Established Member
The closest looking muffler I saw was the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler. That’s a strange shape, not too many are that boxy.
Yeah this is a good point, could be the old Cherry Bomb, did not even think of that. Exhaust tone come thru just a bit in the video, anything that has similar sound?

Jrs7686

Established Member
I'll give this a week or so, see if anyone else has input. Might go with American Thunder from Flow Master, Ik there was an exhaust thread, but almost all the links are dead. Any input on these?

BlackStang00

Established Member
Most people don’t like them because they drone a lot. Watch as many YouTube videos as you can to see what you like. Personally, I like an x pipe with either pypes m80s or borla stingers.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll give this a week or so, see if anyone else has input. Might go with American Thunder from Flow Master, Ik there was an exhaust thread, but almost all the links are dead. Any input on these?

YouTube would be your best bet for hearing exhaust combos.
If you are looking for the same muffler so it fits back in there, pretty much any 79-04 mustang muffler will fit in the void.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh that drone is the stuff of nightmares! I would concur that they look like cherry bomb mufflers.

I'll include what an off-road H-pipe and Flowmaster 40's sound like on mine. I never noticed a drone as bad as what you have there, but I think it give it a very nice 'classic' sort-of tone. Borla's can get a little too obnoxious for my tastes. Hope you settle on something nice though. Good luck!

General Jack

Established Member

I just installed the Flowmaster 2 chamber catback on my '98 a couple months ago. Sounds great but I still plan to add a bassani catted x-pipe soon.

jbr03cobra

Established Member
The mufflers look like flow masters to me. I love the old school sounds of them! The drone is your friend!

Cobra Jet

Established Member
MAC mufflers look like that as I recall....maybe?? :unsure:

Yes, MAC mufflers for sure, most likely their “Flowpath” type, no doubt. MAC mufflers didn’t have branding, always saw the spot welds on top/bottom of the exterior casing, and were always very “square” along the edges.

The MAC “H” was also very ugly, not branded and with only (2) cats on it.

Flowmasters don’t look like that, not new or old.

rzimmerl

Established Member
That's a MAC catback as I have the same on my 98. I'm going to be pulling the MAC cat back off soon in favor of Borla's to go with my ORX.

Jrs7686

Established Member
Yes, MAC mufflers for sure, most likely their “Flowpath” type, no doubt. MAC mufflers didn’t have branding, always saw the spot welds on top/bottom of the exterior casing, and were always very “square” along the edges.

The MAC “H” was also very ugly, not branded and with only (2) cats on it.

Flowmasters don’t look like that, not new or old.
Thanks for the information. I feared that this is what they where once I find out they are out of bussiness

mltnb3

Hi All,

Been viewing the forums from a distant for a while now, but ready to ask for help.

Long story short, I took my father's 1997 Cobra off of him summer of 2021 as he can't drive it anymore .The car needs some TLC. He bought the car from ebay back in 2007, it car came with some after market parts on it and the exhaust I assume is one of them. It has H-pipe configuration with one CAT each side, and a muffler that has no name brand on it.

Currently the muffle baffle is rattling around makes lots of noise and sometimes gets in the way of the exhaust flow and changes the tone. I want to replace them with a like for like muffle but have no clue who makes theses. My guess was some older Pypes or Flow Masters, but I can't confirm. see links below

-JRS

I believe those are flowmaster 40-44

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Old images from online.

MAC (always cheap metal that rusted on seams and welds, spot welds for baffles visible on shell, no markings and very square or rectangular with sloppy welds around flanges):
1646158951590.jpeg

1646159576067.jpeg

---

Flowmasters (40/44, silver or black) are very distinct with seam on shell, stamped name, oval can, clean flanges, and in many instances the circular "bump" on end of can:

1646159273338.jpeg

1646159357140.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread