97-svt-cobra

Established Member
Hi everyone, i have a 97 cobra with a vortech supercharger. When i have it floored it lags at 6,000 rpm, but this only happens when the car is warmed up. when the cars cold it runs great. i have heard it could be the tensioner or the belt but i don't wanna spend money on something i don't need. i have also replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley but not the tensioner it self.

thanks for the help.

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
Do you have a boost gauge? Cause it could be a couple different things.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Need for info.. It could be belt slip, could be spark blow out, could be fuel related etc..

97-svt-cobra

Established Member
Its on a vortech tune. yes i have a boost guage. the boost falls when it lags. plugs gapped to 40. You can kinda smell the belt burning a little bit but after i replace the two pullies it didnt smell as bad.

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
Double check the boost clamps and make sure there tight.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
You should start at the beginning by telling us what you have for a s/c setup and all of your mods. It could be simple belt slip or you may have a larger problem that could get expensive if left undiagnosed.

Here are some of the problems I had with mine.

When I had my Vortech installed it also had the Vortech tune and the car would fall on its face between 5500-6000 rpm's. I blamed it on two things. 1. The tune and 2. Lack of fuel with the BAP. I only ran the car for a couple of months before putting it away for the winter.

In the spring I pulled the BAP, installed #42 injectors, bigger in tank pump (255lph comes to mind but its been awhile) SCT Xcal and a tune from one of the vendors on here. There car was running pig rich and a complete lack of support from the vendor after they took my money left me no choice but to find another tuner. I got it tuned and was making around 400hp ad the car would pull right up to the redline with no hesitation.

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
mine started falling apart near the end of the life of my shortblock at 6500rpm. you need to have a tuner check it out if you're still having problems after the belt issue is ruled out

97-svt-cobra

Established Member
Alright i have a V-3 Internally Lubricated Supercharger with a 3 inch h-pipe and flowmaster cat back. new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley. new ngk plugs and ford racing wires.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Alright i have a V-3 Internally Lubricated Supercharger with a 3 inch h-pipe and flowmaster cat back. new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley. new ngk plugs and ford racing wires.

hmm.. I think they were referring to mods as far as the blower goes.. Like are what injectors are you running, what MAF, what fuel pump, boost a pump? fuel pressure regulator? Whatever that other hokey thing is that is supposed to a bandaid for too small of injectors? Dyno tuned? Mail order tuned? IMRC's still there? Things like this related to tuning. Did you install this system?

I had to replace my tensioner as well so that would be the first thing. And I put the shortest belt possible on. It needs lot's of tension. What size pulley you running? Might be a belt wrap issue too

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
You should start at the beginning by telling us what you have for a s/c setup and all of your mods. It could be simple belt slip or you may have a larger problem that could get expensive if left undiagnosed.

Here are some of the problems I had with mine.

When I had my Vortech installed it also had the Vortech tune and the car would fall on its face between 5500-6000 rpm's. I blamed it on two things. 1. The tune and 2. Lack of fuel with the BAP. I only ran the car for a couple of months before putting it away for the winter.

In the spring I pulled the BAP, installed #42 injectors, bigger in tank pump (255lph comes to mind but its been awhile) SCT Xcal and a tune from one of the vendors on here. There car was running pig rich and a complete lack of support from the vendor after they took my money left me no choice but to find another tuner. I got it tuned and was making around 400hp ad the car would pull right up to the redline with no hesitation.

Which vendor had the complete lack of support?

MLS

Established Member
I believe he was trying to avoid mentioning the vendor name so he can't be accused of flamming vendors. You know with the whole ban thing. ; )

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I believe he was trying to avoid mentioning the vendor name so he can't be accused of flamming vendors. You know with the whole ban thing. ; )

I figured that was the reason, but if I had a problem I would give my review on them. Gallows could you PM me? I feel the forums should know, but if you don't want to say in public I would still like to know privately!

Users who are viewing this thread