1998 cobra timing

1998jeremy

Established Member
I just bought a 1998 cobra for its has slp x pipe and loudmoths, msd coils and wires, bbk tb, stock cai and just k&n filter. That's the car. I had imrc p1516 code that's common on these cars at 130k I just need to clean them. I used my code reader to clear it tell I fix it. but I was looking at the data on the car while its running at idle it showed it had 33 degrees of timing. That just doesn't seem right? Someone help me I'm new to these cars

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
It sounds like you just got a snapshot of the spark advance at one point in time.

At idle, the PCM uses the IACV to do coarse control of idle and it uses spark advance to do fine control of Idle. If you were to datalog the spark advance at idle you would see it moving all over the map as it should while it is controlling idle.

1998jeremy

Established Member
Ok i just didnt know it somethings is going out or not working right. But I took it out and watched it under normal driving it stayed in 20s at around 2000 2500 rmp then after about 45 minutes of driving at idle stays around 13 does that sound more normal?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Your timing sounds normal.

But the engine is not idling when it is moving. Then it is at part throttle.

If you datalogged your run, you would see that the spark source is at 9 (spark in control of idle) when you are stopped and idling. When you are driving at part throttle, you would probably see it at 7 (low load).

Users who are viewing this thread