1998 Contour, Non SVT question!

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Hey guys. I have an 04 Cobra so I think me asking a question about a non SVT Contour is acceptable :)

I picked up my Grandma's 1998 Contour V6 with 81000 miles, I think it's an SE. It's got the biggest engine whatever it is. I got it for $1000 for a daily driver which I think is a great deal considering she just dumped around $5000 into repairs on it.

The thing that worries me is the transmission. It doesn't slip at all, but when cold it has a really hard shift from 1st to 2nd. It seems to go away once it's warmed up. Also the transmission makes a few minor noises, but nothing that makes me think it's going to die soon. It just makes a few grunts, more of a vibration when taking off.

Lastly, are there any SVT Contour parts I can put on this bad boy?? If the transmission goes south, can I convert it to a manual?

Chris

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
All the engine parts will work, but the easy ones aren't going to gain a whole lot. The non-SVT 2.5L was rated at 170hp, with the SVT rated at 195/200.

You probably could convert it to a manual, but I've been out of the Contour world for a few years know and only remember its a pretty daunting task.

elraido

Established Member
Still is a daunting task. Not really worth it. If you want power convert it to a 2001+ 3.0L Taurus/Escape engine. Direct bolt on. Check out www.contour.org for more information about the car.

elraido

Established Member
No problem. Also register and say hi. there are a few people on there who will answer any and all question tour related if you have them.

Users who are viewing this thread