1998 mustang motor swap to 2008 flex fuel

Turbosnake281

Established Member
Hey guys, my 98 gt blew up a few days ago and I want to just do a salvage motor swap with a low mile 2007 2008 salvage engine assembly. I can get a 2008 flex fuel engine with 32k miles out of a crown vic. What is the difference when it comes to the flex fuel engine as I have no desire to run flex fuel on the car? I would think fuel componets would be made to handle e85 on the motor would be the only physical difference as I'd imagine 02 sensors would indicate the e85 and the ecu would just adjust tune as its programmed to do so. My question is would an 08 crown vic flex fuel engine be the exact same as a pi 4.6 as found in our mustangs, saying there was a mustang pi intake manifold on the motor?

My next questions would be what would I run into doing this swap even if I end up not using a flex fuel motor possiblly a 2007 gasoline motor? I would imagine that I would have to change the front timing cover, but would I have to use a 2002 to 2004 mustang timing cover or could I use my 1998 non pi cover? I plan on not switching to coil on plug and running same wiring harness and ecu. Help me out guys I have a buit 98 cobra and don't want to dump money into he gt!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
the longblock should be the same, just transfer over your components and you will be fine.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You might get a better response in the SN-95 and new edge sub forum. Maybe a mod can move the thread for you. Wish I could help, but I'm not spun up on 2v's.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on what happened when you blew up your 98. Might be cheaper and easier to throw a rotating assembly in yours?

Users who are viewing this thread