1999-2004 modification questions

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
Well first of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Tyler and I am a freshman at Indiana Univeristy! This summer I plan on spending around 9k for either a 99-04 GT, 99-02 LS1, or 96-98 Cobra. Well here are my questions.

1) What will it take for a 99-04 GT to keep up with a stock LS1 or 96-98 Cobra? My guess would be full bolt-ons and 4:10's!

2) What vehicle would you recommend, and why?

3) What would be the biggest/safest shot of nitrous I could run on a bolt-on/stock 99-04 GT?

Thanks for your help:pepper:

Last edited:

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Welcome to the site, and no matter what you pick, atleast your on the right track and getting some badass American performance.

answer 1) Full boltons plus 4.10's and a new edge GT can hang with an LS1 on the street. BUT all that does not guarnatee a win as a 6speed car would still pose a threat. On the track a bone stock 6speed would still probably have the better et, and trap at a higher mph.

answer 2) I would reccomend the LS1. I have had a 2000 GT, and while I loved the car, without MAJOR mods, it could not compete with modded LS1 cars. It is a fantastic platform and responds well to aftermarket parts. If going fast is your main concern, then an LS1 fbody is the way to go. The other choices are still very capable, just not AS capable. My second choice would be an SN95 Cobra. The 32 valve DOHC is also an awesome performer, and IMO the cars look wicked.

answer 3) With a tune, I would personally not go over a 125 shot. Untuned I would not go over a 100 shot. The stock block could PROBABLY handle 150 or so, but if you daily drive the car I wouldn't push it.

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
Well thanks for your help/suggestions silverstang00. Lately I really have been leaning towards the LS1 because of its performance. I still have awhile to decide, but I figured I would get some second opinions!

Any other help/suggestions are more than welcome!

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Silverstang pretty much covered it all. For the best bang for buck I'd get a '96-'98 Cobra, they're pretty cheap and the 4V's have good potential.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I'd go with the 96-98 Cobra b/c i've always loved them. The GT is just to much money to mod for little performance. I know I had one once.

KduncSS

Established Member
^What power.... J/K:loser: . I love 99-04 GT's, but the 2 valve is seriously underpowered compared to a 4v or an LSX based GM. I miss my 00 GT like crazy, the look, feel, and all around fun of those cars is amazing. But I got tired of seeking MASSIVE amounts of cash into the car just to be competitive whether it be on the street or the track. And I had a car that was making 500rwhp on 12psi, probably 550-580 rwhp capable with some more boost and fuel system upgrades. One thing I am going to miss is when someone got that WTF expression:eek: when they saw a 2 valve that fast.

Btown03GT

Banned
I have a stock 03 GT and I love it but I still want to get full bolt ons and gears...then I'll be happy with it for a while but I know I'll eventually get bored with it and get a blower....or just get a terminator

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Btown03GT said:
hey silverstang did you have a video of your car against a corvette and some LS1's....cuz your name was on that video whoever it was he blew his motor
:lol: I rememer that video, didn't the GT also have nitrous though?

KduncSS

Established Member
Btown03GT said:
hey silverstang did you have a video of your car against a corvette and some LS1's....cuz your name was on that video whoever it was he blew his motor
Nope.... wasnt my car. Never raced multiple LS1 cars before, and most definitely never on video.

KduncSS

Established Member
I would be interested in seein it though. Anybody have the vid mentioned above. Was it a local Southern car? If so I might know who it is, or who some of the other cars in the vid might be. Sorry to hijack burn'n'rubber ;)

Btown03GT

Banned
I wouldnt know how to link it but if you have lime wire or somethin like that just search for videos of supercharged GT's and you should come up with that also look for a good vid of a gray S\C GT beating a terminator

01SilverGt

Established Member
my brothers 2000 Trans am is for sale. it has 50k, slp cat back,slp air lid,slp pulleys,hpyertech programmer. He wants 12,500$

Users who are viewing this thread