1999 Cobra Buying Advice

kzite29

Established Member
Hi Everyone!

I signed up for this thread because I'm looking to buy my first SVT vehicle. It's a '99 Cobra Convertible with 70,000 miles listed for $7,300 in Detroit in White with tan interior. Looks rustless, runs well, only non-stock part is aftermarket exhaust. Only issue (so I can see) is a huge tear in the driver seat.

1171.jpg

A little about me: I'm 20, a Mechanical Engineering student at Georgia Tech, currently interning for engineering at Chrysler. Did a few stints at different shops doing the easy stuff, accumulating tools, and getting experience. Looking to get more into working on my own car rather than just fixing everyone else's.

Anyway, I'm a little skeptical of the price of this car, seeing as a lot of cars on here in similar condition are going for 9 or 10 grand. The guy selling it is a cobra fan too (selling the car to fix up an '03 of the same car, can't blame him for wanting the supercharger..), so he must have an idea what it's worth. Getting it inspected tomorrow at a shop because I didn't take all my tools with me to Michigan.

Really my question is... Should I go for it? What should I watch out for? Signs that things are about to go wrong? Is it worth the $7300 even if it has a few issues? What kind of expenses am I looking at soon or over the course of a regular year in maintenance?

Thanks everyone. Hope I can be a solid contributor in the future if I buy this thing!

-Kyle

01yellercobra

Established Member
literally the worst SVT product ever made.

Wow. That was helpful. Have you ever owned a 99/01?

It's just like any other car. If the maintenance is kept up it'll last. You'll probably want to change the fluids, plugs, and fuel filter if you get it. It's just the usual stuff. Listen for odd noises when driving it around. I daily drove an 01 for a few years. Until I went dumb on the mods I had no issues with it. Just the usual oil changes and tune ups.

At 70K I'd at least plan on shocks/struts, but if you plan on lowering it those should be included as well. Also check the bushings in the IRS. They might be showing signs of age by now. Beyond that look for leaks etc.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
LOL don't listen to the troll. I've had mine for a couple years and it's a great car.

Price does seem oddly low. I'd be concerned buying one from Detroit though especially if it's spent any time outdoors... I'd be looking for one that's spent it's life in the South, or a garage queen.

Things to look for are the "cobra clunk", the infamous head tick, the amount of clutch life left, just general noises, leaks, and other type stuff... when I bought mine it was one of the smoothest, quietest V8 engines I've ever heard. Some people say these motors are noisy but mine sure isn't.

IRS bushings are probably mostly worn out at this point so you'll likely be replacing them if you want the car to handle well. If it has the clunk you can fix it at this time too. If it has the head tick, find another one since it's probably been run hard and put away wet... unless you can get it really cheap and want to build the motor.

I did have my fuel pump go out in the first year. You have to drop the tank but it wasn't too bad and cost me around $300 for a new one... but I got the whole assembly so I could eliminate the PPRV. Fuel pumps don't last forever so it's kind of normal after 18 years of operation.

People here really love the Terminator for obvious reasons, but the 99-01 Cobras offer a lot of value for the money. I've been very happy with mine and I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

50stangpower

Established Member
Lol not a troll and other then you guys with blinders on everyone would agree. I would much rather an 01 vs the 99. There's 2 99's local for under 7k for sale fyi. Save the money and buy something better or buy a 2 valve GT as its probably faster anyway.

kzite29

Established Member
Lol not a troll and other then you guys with blinders on everyone would agree. I would much rather an 01 vs the 99. There's 2 99's local for under 7k for sale fyi. Save the money and buy something better or buy a 2 valve GT as its probably faster anyway.
You know, it's always good to have someone around who doesn't like the car. Gets our heads out of the clouds. Your first post could've been a little more constructive, but I get where you're coming from. What would you say is a good price to pay for this "worst SVT product ever" (don't say $0...). He did list it as 7k or best offer.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
He says 2 valve GT is faster LOL.... and he says 01 is better but doesn't give a reason LOL... he's a troll. Don't talk to him and he'll probably go away.

01 has better seats but weaker engine block. Some of them have Teksids but most have WAP. '99 cobra did have the recall but I think every single car has had it performed so it's pretty much a non issue at this point.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol at a 2v being faster than a 99 4v. Assuming both cars are healthy, mod for mod, driver for driver there is a HUGE difference (gap). I have had my 01 since 2002. 99-04 GT with similar mods and a 5-speed was 1 1/2-3 cars depending on if it was 1/8,1/4 or a roll race. 2v make somewhat better torque down low but its not to going to make up a 50rwhp advantage, higher rpm band and much better heads.

He says 2 valve GT is faster LOL.... and he says 01 is better but doesn't give a reason LOL... he's a troll. Don't talk to him and he'll probably go away.

01 has better seats but weaker engine block. Some of them have Teksids but most have WAP. '99 cobra did have the recall but I think every single car has had it performed so it's pretty much a non issue at this point.

WAP vs Teksid is pretty much a pointless talking point. WAP's have been taken well past 800rwhp. And that's just off the top of my head. I would argue that most 99-01 cobra owners will never see that amount of power anyway.

Back to the OP, you have got some pretty good advice in this thread. Also look at the sticky's at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
You're right, I get your point WAP is plenty strong he'll probably never go near its limit but Teksids are supposedly even stronger and can take over 1000hp. Obviously he's got the forged crank too but the weak rods and pistons.

I'd say condition really determines the value IMO... if it's been well taken care of it might be a good deal but if it's ragged out I'd wait for the next one. Have you drove it yet OP?

kzite29

Established Member
You're right, I get your point WAP is plenty strong he'll probably never go near its limit but Teksids are supposedly even stronger and can take over 1000hp. Obviously he's got the forged crank too but the weak rods and pistons.

I'd say condition really determines the value IMO... if it's been well taken care of it might be a good deal but if it's ragged out I'd wait for the next one. Have you drove it yet OP?
First off, thanks for everyone's input.

Yeah I drove it yesterday. Felt tight, little bit of rotor noise but no ticks or other visible/audible issues at all. Steering was heavier than I'm used to and trans was a bit clunky (not choppy, just jerked me around a bit I assume because I didn't have time to get used to it in the 5 minute trip around the block).

My thing is I've never really driven a good comparison car. I don't have access to a 90's or 2000's sports car for a baseline. I've had my time in high powered vehicles and the like, but most have been either brand new race machines or old carbureted muscle cars.

Honestly, the plan prior to checking here was to get it inspected tomorrow.. Idk what exactly this guy is going to inspect, but if there's any specific system I should get checked let me know.. and then tell the guy what I'd like to do to it and offer him 8000 minus cost of the parts I'm putting into it, so probably a little over 6 grand if all goes well.

50stangpower

Established Member

Aren't the reasons well known? How about transmission and rear? I mean I was trying to be nice and give you guys a little credit with saying the 01 was an improvement but I guess that's hard to understand. My point is, and many, many agree that a 99 cobra is not a car worth buying unless you got it for a steal and wanted a simple cruiser. There are plenty of other v8 cars in your price range that I would rather have, including a 3 valve!

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Ford had problems with the 99, that is why theyquit producing them until 01.
There a number of problem areas , and being this old , i am sure some have been addressed .
The rear is weak, 28 spline compared to 01-03-04 that are 31 spline .
Also incorporated a brace system in 03-04 , but it really was not the best .
Never found a head tick with 99-01 .
That was an exhaust seat issue , that was addressed later , as well as the spark plug blowing problem.
The car is essentially a Gt, with the 4.6 4 valve and IRS.
Teksid blocks have been in every one i have had my hands on , aluminum , and certainly lighter then the 03-04 cast iron block .

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
It looks like a nice car. If things check out I say go for it if it's what you want. It's a Cobra, not a GT. To me that means something. It would make a cool college car. Maybe after you graduate keep it and buy something new. Build that car a little and enjoy it on weekends. That car can serve more than one purpose and can stay with you a long time. Trade me tail lights though please :D

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Ford had problems with the 99, that is why theyquit producing them until 01.
There a number of problem areas , and being this old , i am sure some have been addressed .
The rear is weak, 28 spline compared to 01-03-04 that are 31 spline .
Also incorporated a brace system in 03-04 , but it really was not the best .
Never found a head tick with 99-01 .
That was an exhaust seat issue , that was addressed later , as well as the spark plug blowing problem.
The car is essentially a Gt, with the 4.6 4 valve and IRS.
Teksid blocks have been in every one i have had my hands on , aluminum , and certainly lighter then the 03-04 cast iron block .

I had a 99 Cobra and sold it for my 12 GT500.
The 99's were getting lower than expected dyno numbers. Ford stopped production the following year to correct the issues except for the 100 Cobras sent to Australia ( very rare car in Australia). If my memory serves correct, the cars were supposed to dyno around 280, but pre-fix were dynoing around 245-250 rwhp. The fix:
Replace Belt tensioner pulley to steel version.
Replace upper air intake with newer version.
Replace entire cat back exhaust system.
Reflash the computer.

The IRS was terribly weak and the car had severe wheel hop on hard acceleration.

The price is most likely low due to the fix and other issues. I'd try to look at the termi Cobras ( 03/04 Cobras) and skip the 99.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palacios289

Established Member
Nothing wrong with post-fix 99 cobra. I picked up 1999 electric green convertible from the original owner for $9k. Mine had 78k miles. Mine was in pristine condition with no issues. I've slowly done some mods, (mid-pipe, cutback, JLP intake, coilovers). I now have a comfortable dependable Cobra with enough horsepower to get in trouble. I've done full fluid change and spark plugs since I got it last year.

The way I saw it, its better to get something bone stock and solid and than mod it your way and doing the job right. I live in So-Cal and so many cobras for sale here are utter junk with so much half-assed mods and upkeep. I went out of state to get mine. I take my time to work on my car and make sure it's done right.

My advice? If you like the car and it's in good shape, jump on it for that price. There is so much utter junk for sale that it makes your head spin. You can slowly upgrade the car to your liking.

kzite29

Established Member
Update: BOUGHT THE COBRA!

Going to put probably $500 into the suspension right away with rear bushings and front ball joints right away. Then time to make the engine look as good as it runs. Anyone have recommendations for where to get misc stock engine parts like hoses, pipes, etc.? How about that suspension? I'm going to have it all apart anyway, so if anyone has advice for anything else I should do/add while I'm under there, let me know!

(P.s. Should I make a new thread for this now? Don't totally know the rules..)

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats man. I use latemodelrestoration.com and americanmuscle.com for most parts. Either will have most of what you're looking for. Hope that car brings you joy and lots of women ha.

svt_cobra01

Established Member

i have a 2001 cobra and you say a 2v is probaly faster LOL? bro what are you on? do you just hate the cobra's that arent terminators or what. it would take quite a bit of money for a 2v to keep up with a 4v without boost especially when the difference is 60hp. you probaly never have driven a 99/01.

Users who are viewing this thread