1999 Cobra sterring wheel "issue"

seu318

Established Member
I bought a 1999 Cobra recently – very nice car – completely un-modded. I have a question however – I know I can’t rely 100% on the carfax or DMV report that said the car was never in an accident – but I have seen no evidence to suggest the car was ever hit – and I have spent a lot of time underneath looking for the telltale signs. However – the problem I have is that the steering wheel is crooked – not in an “off center” way – but more side to side – ie: the distance from the wheel to the dashboard is less on the
left side of the wheel than the right side. Maybe a half inch or more – I’ve not measured it yet – but it’s definitely “off”. The car tracks straight as an arrow and there’s no pull when driving. If I take my hands of the wheel – there’s no drift either way. I’m really not sure what to do about this – or should I even be concerned. Previous owner did not have any clue if anything was done (he was the second owner as it was) Does anybody have any ideas if this is something to be concerned about ?

Thanks in advance –

urbs4I

BlueVenom01

Established Member
First, welcome to SVTP man!!!!

Second - Are you sure it's the steering wheel? Maybe your dash is crooked...and are you measuring from the top of dash to the top of the wheel or the side of the wheel?

Third - Wow man you gave this car a surgical inspection - most don't people to measure that kind of stuff!!! :-D

My opinion is that it's nothing to worry about...if your steering is good to go, it could be the dash. Or take it to a bodyshop to see if has been in an accident for your own piece of mind.

my .02....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
dude, its a ford built with tooling that has been used for ages.

Nothing lines up.

rearends are offset by 3/4 of an inch, so I wouldn't worry about a mildly crooked wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread