1st 1/4 mile run - ever.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I've never been on a 1/4 track in my life, but the peer pressure was just too much, plus, $hit, I was dying to do it anyway. I obviously have no clue how to launch or shift for that matter. Without the CAI in my sig on street tires, 84 degrees with about 85% humidity. My reaction time was .942, I ended up with 13.8
@ 104. Its probably the slowest time I've seen posted on here for an 03 Cobra. I'm sure with practice it'll get better. I know I suck but I'm hooked. It was just too F***ing fun. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Well you need to start somewhere..Congrats..Now you have a baseline..I'll bet you run a 12 next time out..
With my 96 Cobra in 96 i ran 14's the first time..First pass was a 15.....
Within 4 months i ran a 12..added blower 11's modified my 99GT and went low 10's,,,9's soon with new setup..ETC<ETC<ETC
Welcome to Booost it's addictive..

Jim V.

Cat Breath

Established Member
Hell, that's faster than my first run, a 2.4/14.4/102.5. Course this was stock and at bandimere speedway CO, one mile above sea level, abs barom at 23.3 and temp ~90 F giving a density altitude of close to 10,000 feet! There's alot of pressure running this car at the track cause everyone wants to see if it lives up to expectations.

BTW, reaction times don't mean anything unless you are bracket racing. What was your 60 ft? I pulled a 2.4, so that contributed to my ET being out of the 13s. Altitude sucks. Is there something particular about the air at the strip you are running? I would think all of Hawaii would be pretty close to sea level. Also, don't feel bad if it's your first time at the strip. The best ET & mph require excellent launches and superbly fast power shifting, not things a first timer is expected to pull off. AND even if we're slow, it's still fun running down the 1/4! :burnout:

haskett

Established Member
Don't feel too bad. I probably have 40 drags under my belt between three different cars, and my first run in the 03 Cobra was a 13.9, and my best so far is 13.2. There's more skill to dragging an 03 Cobra than a low-powered automatic plowing 16's...

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Don't feel bad. I went to the track friday night for the first time ever and made 3 runs. My best run was 13.649 @ 105.25 (missed 4th). My best mph was 109.68. My best 60' was 2.38 (thanks wheel hop). I dropped it at 3k once, 2500 once, and 2000 once. 2500 yielded me the best result. Next time I am going to feather the clutch. The wheel hop from dropping the clutch was insane. I though I was going to break some shit.

I talked to Jim from JDM, and he said when they ran 12.1 with their 03, he was working the clutch and gas all the way through 1st.

I wish I had talked to him before I made the runs though. Oh well. It was a learning experience. I had fun. There is no question this thing will run 12s on street tires when properly driven.

Here are my slips.. (no bashing please)
slips_sm.jpg

46stang

Established Member
it could have been worse! you could have did what i did the 1st time to the track! I had a 67 VW GHIA I did a fat burnout right past the staging lights, backed up and proceeded to stage my Ghia with the rear tires:) I needed a car length head start, it was a VW;) oh well! still fun! more practice and you'll be in the 12's! good luck!
Leon

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
Just have to rag on your driving! Sorry!

Bassin247

Just be happy it is your lousy driving and not your car. 109.XX is damn good considering 2.5 60 times.

Heck, Let me have a crack at your car. I figure 13.0-13.2 @ 110 anyway. I would like to drive a car that is putting out what it is supposed to.

Seriously your driving will get better.

My best runs have been 13.4X @ 106.xx with 2.1 60 ft times at greasy old NEDW. My Blue coupe is down on power. Even an 03 Convertible pulled away from me. I'm down about 30 hp at 5200 RPM. See my dyno chart on:
http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?threadid=17103

Mike

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Re: Just have to rag on your driving! Sorry!

Originally posted by mike69440
Bassin247

Just be happy it is your lousy driving and not your car. 109.XX is damn good considering 2.5 60 times.

Heck, Let me have a crack at your car. I figure 13.0-13.2 @ 110 anyway. I would like to drive a car that is putting out what it is supposed to.

Seriously your driving will get better.

My best runs have been 13.4X @ 106.xx with 2.1 60 ft times at greasy old NEDW. My Blue coupe is down on power. Even an 03 Convertible pulled away from me. I'm down about 30 hp at 5200 RPM. See my dyno chart on:
http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?threadid=17103

Mike

Hey Mike,

I've been following your cobra through email and the forums. I'm planning on going to ACS next Saturday and NED the Friday night after that (I should have my exhaust by then). If you want to meet up at NED let me know.

I might have to work on Friday. If it's the case, I will have the 25th-30th off. So any time in there would be fine.

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
hey mike, your car isn't down on power that bad. A few people have posted 350hp. Isn't the average so far around 365? What do you plan to do about the power? Are you going to call the dealer?

03DOHC

Established Member
Practice practice practice.

I hadn't been to the strip in over 11 years. My first two passes in my '97 Cobra was in the 14's and my 3rd and last pass was a 13.8. Don't worry about it. Your times will come down with practice. Don't forget to have fun. The fun is in getting there.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I used to run at Hawaii Raceway Park in the early 80's and the track sucked then, hopefully it's a little better by now :).

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I used to run at Hawaii Raceway Park in the early 80's and the track sucked then, hopefully it's a little better by now :).

Actually I dont think it is. I hear alot of people that run here, conplain all the time. But as the old saying goes, "its the only game in town". I'm sure with practice I could get my times down. Thanks for all the encouraging posts. I'll keep all informed.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Also, I forgot to cut "Traction Control" off. Guys in my Mustang club were wondering why I didn't even chirp tires on launch!

mike69440

Established Member
A good 350 hp curve would not be bad.

To KevinJKD,

The peak number is not particularly what I am complaining about.

Look at my dyno graph earlier in this post.

See the ripple at 5500 RPM. Another 30 or 40 hp here and I would not be complaining

The car is only 300-325 in the meat of the powerband.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
ok I see what you mean. Are you going to take it back to Ford or anything?

david smilovic

Established Member
A motor claiming 390 bhp is within Ford spec at 350 rrwhp,technically the car should Dyno331-340.The motor is obviously under rated and the blower has a weak intercooler so heat sink is evident on all the 03's we have Dynoed at XTREME here in AZ.in a 90 degree shop with evap cooler shooting ay the intercooler along with 2 side fans.
With silencer and no air filter did I believe 376rrwhp with Holley conical in place and Borla cat back that was free for testing the system it dinoed 8 or 9 ponnies less.
Come 9/4/02 lots of bolt ons hoping to see 450+ JDM says 475+ but my Dyno Jet 248 is calibrated for real life #'s.Also at 1250 ft above sea level verified by building plans and GPS at what altitude did you hit 350 and was the silencer out,what was the all roun temp and humidity,mileage on car and what was your operating temp?
I would look at a wide band o2 setup Dyno and see if your falling off due to fuel trims these motors are not consistent IMHO but then again my 01 z06 stocked at 309 and 314 tqe on a 385 bhp motor.
I dont believe a Ford dealer is the answer look at fuel trims mine is so rich at 5500 it runs off the chart but I assume my Super Chip from JDM will cure all that.
GOOD LUCK Dave S.

mike69440

Established Member
332-340rwhp = 390 SAE net @ crank

This is true.

If the 03 Cobra made only the claimed 390 net hp, then that 390 net hp would only be capable of moveing a 3850 lb carw/ fuel and driver down the quarter mile at about 13.4 106 MPH.

All those 110 mph trap speeds are coming from 425 hp cars.

Even my car has a peaky peak hp over a few hundred RPM of 350 rwhp which is 410 HP.

Users who are viewing this thread