1st Gen gas mileage

griffined

SVT driver
I was just wondering what other folks with 1st generation SHOs are getting for gas mileage.

My 90 has 77k miles and in city driving, mostly short trips from being cold, and little extended hiway driving, I'm getting on average 15 MPG.

I recently had the K&N air cleaner cleaned which added about .5 MPG. I've not had the valve adjustments that are part of the 60k service done.

My 01 Cobra Vert is driven in same manner, and it's getting 17 MPG on average.

Do the SHO's have O2 sensors that go bad over time and affect MPG?

Ed

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ed:

I get mid 20's driving on the highway with mine. When driving at the speed limit (which is very rare by the way) I can get high 20's and close to 30 MPG. I have a K&N air filter and high flow "Y" and cats and Dyno-Max cat back. Doug at Performance Plus did my 60k service. I have about 85k on the car now. The speedo shows 110k but about 25k were miles racked up from pulling behind my motorhome.

My 93 ATX (juice box) I recently sold, got considerably worse mileage, around 20.

I rarely check the mileage because my company always paid the fuel bill. (these were both company cars at one time)

Hope this helps!!
:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Ive been getting 15-17 mpg in town driving through lots of construction and 5,000 RPM shifts

When I drove it home from KC last fall I got around 30 mpg one tank I got like 420 miles out of it. now Im averaging 220-240 miles a tank tearing up the streets.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I get 250 miles per tank in the city and about 420 on the highway

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by sohowcome
Damn thats almost identical there. So I guess Im not the only one with LeadFootCitis

I think it's hard NOT to have leadfootitis driving a SHO. Those engines rev soooo freely. There are lots of people that just don't understand why we're so fanatical about SHO's!!:shrug:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by ac427cobra
I think it's hard NOT to have leadfootitis driving a SHO. Those engines rev soooo freely. There are lots of people that just don't understand why we're so fanatical about SHO's!!:shrug:

Yes indeedy! Course Im in desperate need of exhaust work so I sould like a herd of lawnmowers racing down the street. :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by sohowcome
Yes indeedy! Course Im in desperate need of exhaust work so I sould like a herd of lawnmowers racing down the street. :D

Somehow, I get the feeling it doesn't sound good?!?! :eek:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
any aftermarket exhaust on the SHO sounds different and needs getting used to. The Yamahammer has a sound of its own.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
I have a gen II(same motor), on the freeway I get 30+ mpg. I have not calculated for city of mixed driving yet. Your milage does seem a little low though.

Users who are viewing this thread