1st gen lightning help

Bill L.

Established Member
ok well im looking into getting a 1st gen lightning but i am going to be useing it for offroading and i was just wondering if it would hold up extreme off roading or i should swap out the main drivetrain parts that would not hold up. nd i herd that you cant run more than 8 psi of boost in a gen 1 lightning or you will be looking for a new block im not sure if its the same for the gen2 cause they are compleatly diff motors cause i most likely will supercharge it and some other stuff and the suspension would be replaced with a pre runner style suspension from camburg and all the fenders and bed sides will be replaced with fiberglass flares and i hope it will look something like this when im done dose any1 know how to put an image into the post thanks -bill

Matt95L

Established Member
I'd say the tranny can handle between 450 and 550hp.Gregg Evans of factory Tech transmissions makes a upgrade kit that makes it much stronger.The rear is an 8.8 with 31 spline axels and crappy posi(I'd suggest upgading to a Detroit locker if your going to be off road racing).I don't know where you heard that 8psi crap but its not true there are guys running around 20psi on the stock longblock.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
off roading? like baja? the way i understand it, the prototypes were tested in baja racing. and i think i saw some pics of one somewhere, maybe on the nloc about a year ago...

Bill L.

Established Member
ok but can the stock longblock safely take 20 psi of boost and whats the differnce between a regular 95 f-150 and the 1st gen lightning drivetrain cause i see no sence in just tearing apart a good lightning when i can just build up a 95 150 and put some hp parts on it and save some money cause the suspension is gonna run me about 4500$ easily so i would like to save some money

Matt95L

Established Member
Yeah lots of lightnings run 10 psi on the stock longblock.Should be fine just make sure your a/f ratio is good.

Users who are viewing this thread