1st time hauling the car..tips?

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I'd just like get any tips from you guys with towing experience before I put the car on the trailer. Its a 3 hour ride, and I'll be using a flatbed hauler from uHaul.

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
I use Uhaul trailers to tow my car all the time. Real easy! If your car is lowered, you might want to run to lowes or whatever and get some 2x8 by like 12 feet. Cut off 2 one foot sections, you are going to put those under the front tires, to raise the car a bit, so that you can open the door and not hit the trailer's wheel well. You will understand when you see it. Then cut the rest of the board in half, so that you have 2, 4-5 foot sections. use those as ramps so you don't drag your front end. Then just make sure the car is all the way at the front of the trailer and strap her down tight, and you are ready to go!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
take the tow vehicle OUT of overdrive. Don't go over 55mph. Avoid sudden braking and lane changes. STAY IN THE SLOW LANE!

Make sure the car is strapped down well. Two straps on the rear axle, one strap on each front control arm.

Check air pressure in the tires of the trailer. Uhaul (at least around here) is bad about having different pressures in tires on their trailers.

if the trailer starts swaying bad - tap the trailer brakes switch. if its a hydraulic inertia braking system - then speed up until it calms down.

I tow two four wheelers and a trailer (~2300lbs) plus 3-5 on a frequent basis. Once, i towed both wheelers, and 7 people on a 5 hour trip to North Carolina in my 4.6L Expedition :)

Towing is difficult, just give yourself lots of room. Don't let traffic hassle you, and don't get in a rush to get there and you'll be fine. Also, remember to anticipate stuff.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
SVTmojo said:
Then cut the rest of the board in half, so that you have 2, 4-5 foot sections. use those as ramps so you don't drag your front end. Then just make sure the car is all the way at the front of the trailer and strap her down tight, and you are ready to go!

i usually put a floor jack under the trailer hitch and jack it up, but that works, too :)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Doug said:
take the tow vehicle OUT of overdrive. Don't go over 55mph. . STAY IN THE SLOW LANE!

While everything else you said is great I have a problem with this.:poke:

But yes he is a newb at it so follow this advice also.

Users who are viewing this thread