1st time to track w/GT500, 11s possible?

09knightrider

It's just a V6 I swear...
Established Member
Hey all, I'm taking my new GT500 to the track for the first time next weekend. Going to Bristol to run the 1/4. I've drag raced before with my old mustang, but I'm sure this car will be quite different. My mods are a JLT Cold Air with Evolution Performance Tune, SLP Axle Back, and Nitto 305/40/18 Drag Radials. Are 11s possible with this setup or will I need more? Thanks

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Yea. As Long as you can run mid 12's stock, You'll be able to run 11's with that setup. The capability of the car on just drag radials alone can get it into the high 11's...the potential of this kit with drag radials is mid 11's I'd think...If you upgrade from the Evo Stage 1 kit to the Stage 2 kit you'll be seeing low 11's and maybe...just maybe break the 10's but IDK about that..you should seriously think about putting on the smaller pulley since you already got the rest of the kit...

Last edited:

SpdPilot

Established Member
Well, it may be possible, but it won't be easy. Racing lots Mustangs myself, the first "few" times I took my GT500 to the track, I didn't do so well.

The suspension in stock form has some major flaws which prevent it from running times it should. It is mandatory to have rear upper and lower control arms and a good aftermarket shifter. Drag radials.

Stock engine, that will put near or in the very high 11's are possible.

You may have those parts already. Nitto Drag radials won't hold the power of the car even stock. BFG's are better and most of the faster ones I see running MT's (what I run). With a CAI, Tune, Gears (3.73). Line locks will also help you alot. Low 11's or if have mad driving skills and a freak car high 10's.

I have run a 7.26 1/8 (equal to at 11.1 1/4) with stock gears. My best run ever and if I had gears I would be in the 10's. No I do not have a pulley. I have won first place in my class at a previous event, so I can drive.

This is tough car to get down the track. It took me about 15 runs to learn to drive it. And I am an ex-pro drag racer. Don't be flustrated if you don't hit the times the first few times out. I still have a hard time with it even now. Just make sure you let it cool between runs and even ice it down.

Last edited:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Hey all, I'm taking my new GT500 to the track for the first time next weekend. Going to Bristol to run the 1/4. I've drag raced before with my old mustang, but I'm sure this car will be quite different. My mods are a JLT Cold Air with Evolution Performance Tune, SLP Axle Back, and Nitto 305/40/18 Drag Radials. Are 11s possible with this setup or will I need more? Thanks

Yes run 25 to 30 psi and you should get there easily. You can lower the tire pressure to 17 or 18 but the side walls won't flex to grip like a 15 or 16" tire with more sidewall & your drag radials will feel like ice skates.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I went 12.0@ 117 w/ a JLT and a Predator flash, you should have no issues going 11's w/the EVo tune as long as you drive it right! Goodluck!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I went 12.0@ 117 w/ a JLT and a Predator flash, you should have no issues going 11's w/the EVo tune as long as you drive it right! Goodluck!

We went 11.90 bone stock with drag radials with our 08'. 11's should be no prob for the 2010 even without a tune.

You going to the track tomorrow?

rdsnk46

Established Member
We went 11.90 bone stock with drag radials with our 08'. 11's should be no prob for the 2010 even without a tune.

You going to the track tomorrow?
Sick as a dog man................ it's my B-day too!

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Start out no more than 2500rpms, maybe even roll out first run.
I would heat the s--- out of the Nittos and go < 20psi.
Tricky car to get moving.
11s def possible. :coolman:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member

That same basic set up got me a 11.98 on the 2nd run of the day. Temps were about the same as well.

Have fun and try rolling it out before stomping it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It has always been my opinion that all it takes for a GT500 to run 11's is tires and a tune!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
It has always been my opinion that all it takes for a GT500 to run 11's is tires and a tune!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

It was for me. A cool day, a Lund tune & JLT and some BFG DRs. 11.9s @117-118. Different Lund tune....2.6" Metco and about 12-13lbs boost on 305/35/18 Mickeys @ 18psi = <11.5@123-125. Mmmmmammy.

Anyone have a nice set of slicks they want to rent to this old fart before the season goes to hell?

bj

Users who are viewing this thread