1st to 2nd gear clunk???

blowby

Established Member
Hello all, new to the forums and just bought an 03 cobra and when shifting from 1st to 2nd there is a clunk if i try to shift normally, easy. Sounds like slop in the drivetrain but havent found any. Ive seen that alot of people have the same clunk problem but it was from 2nd to 1st not 1st to 2nd. I have read some posts looking for an answer before asking but did not find any similar problems. Any ideas??? thanks

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
The drivetrain is not perfect in these cars. But also not all that bad. I would start with ensuring your U-joint bolts are tight. Then look into replacing the front and rear differential bushings. Next look into replacing the IRS subframe bushings and if necessary replace the front mounting bolts with 14mm. Many have 12mm bolts in there. Read a bit more info regarding the rear suspension bushings (IRS delrin bushings) and clunk, thunk, as well as backlash adjustment. "Search this forum" will bring up tons of info for you. I am not an expert on the gears and backlash adjustment.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
it's just slop in your diff. The Trac-Loc's have uber-loose tolerances from the factory. Mine does the same thing on the 1-2 shift, but only when i don't let the synchroes (sp?) do their job completely (i.e. speed/powershifting).

GOUX

Established Member
The clunk is normally produced by the front differential bushings being worn out by normal use and hard launches. Check by getting under the car and wiggling the front of the diff up and down. Replace with some aftermarket aluminum washers.

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
I have a clunk sound as well but mine is all gears and sometimes when I give it gas. Is it just bushings or what?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
It's a buildup of "loose" tolerances throughout the entire driveline. You just have to be smoother with your feet.

crunkstang1214

Established Member
I had the same 1st to 2nd clunk and I changed out the 12mm bolts to 9/16 bolts (slightly bigger than 14mm) and that fixed it for me. My 12mm bolts were in bad shape from the IRS rocking back and forth.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I have the same problem. Didn't realize it was actually a problem as once I learned the car and match the rev's I don't hear the clunk. Does this mean that if I am driving and shift from 1-2 without giving some gas to match the revs I SHOULD NOT hear the clunk? Now I'm confused.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Don't think about it too much, these cars are stout. Besides, if there was something really detrimental about this issue, there would be tons of threads about failure with preventative recommendations instead of tons of threads that look just like this one.

2face

Established Member
check the rear diff mount i had mine loosen up and cluncked all the time took it to the dealership,they couldn't figure it out, finally i couldn't take it any more got under there myself and tightened it it was the bolts that go into the back of the cover...good luck

Users who are viewing this thread