1st to 2nd shift??

tec7426

Established Member
My '03 Cobra seems to shift pretty good, but I seem to have a problem when trying to hit 2nd (from 1st) when trying to shift fast. Seems like the higher the RPMs, the more difficult it is, going into 2nd gear. Normal shifting is no problem.
I find that if I jerk it really hard, it will go into gear better, but I have grinded the gears a couple times with it not going completely in gear. I now have a MGW shifter, but with basically the same problem. I don't make a habit of this, nor do I practice.
Any ideas or experience?
Thanks. :(

jcobra

Established Member
Is it all the time or just when the car is cold. You could try putting the GM synchromesh tranny fluid to see if that will smooth it out.

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
tec7426 said:
My '03 Cobra seems to shift pretty good, but I seem to have a problem when trying to hit 2nd (from 1st) when trying to shift fast. Seems like the higher the RPMs, the more difficult it is, going into 2nd gear. Normal shifting is no problem.
I find that if I jerk it really hard, it will go into gear better, but I have grinded the gears a couple times with it not going completely in gear. I now have a MGW shifter, but with basically the same problem. I don't make a habit of this, nor do I practice.
Any ideas or experience?
Thanks. :(

Seems as though I had a similar experince. Had a few misses with the stock shifter. Changed to the MGW, and it improved but I still had a few issues. During my practicing, I realized two things:

1. I was trying too hard and while pulling back to second, actually pulled the shift back AND to the left. Seems as though it got hung up in the gate. So, I changed the approach to a more "calm" action.

2. I also noted that if I didn't puch the clutch ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR, I would have that same problem. As the pedals are small for my size 12D shoe and my foot not centered on the pedal, I found my foot movement being stopped by the floor pan bump on the left. Now, I pay close attention to be sure my foot is better centered on the pedal.

These days, I never miss a shift. I slam my foot to the floor and when the tach hits 6k -- I never lift my foot, I press the clutch and slam 2nd, 3rd, etc. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread