$2,000 for forged 2v?

coposrv

Established Member
If you are not planning on making over 600 at the crank then ditch the idea of a completely forged SB. I say this because the cast crank is plenty capable of handling that kind of HP as long as you dont try and shift at 7k rpms.

Simply get a quality set of rods, pistons, rings and bearings. Have the block machined and enjoy.

Exactly this. The cast cranks are not junk. They have their limits but for a mild build with 600-700 to the tire they will work. Just keep the rpms moderate and dont try and turn a cogged F1A with it and it will live.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Eh, I picked up a teksid/forged crank out of a 98 Cobra for $200 locally, I've seen them go for cheap all over, not sure why one would not want the extra insurance but w/e. Terminator rods with ARP2000 studs, forged pistons and maybe a cleaning/bore of the block if it needs bored. I would say $2k is about right if you do all the work yourself and only get rods/pistons and re-use most of everything else. Hardware/gaskets/new water pump, oil pump/random things that break, bearings etc...

And then after the $2k you spend you'll need to spend probably another $4k for the supercharger setup when all is said and done with the fuel system, trans/clutch to hold it, beef up the rear, suspension, very likely a transmission build among other things. I'd budget $10k-$12k to get it over 500whp and have it be reliable.

coposrv

Established Member
^ extra insurance sure. Extra weight yup. If you're building it for 600 and don't want more it's not needed.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
^ extra insurance sure. Extra weight yup. If you're building it for 600 and don't want more it's not needed.

i agree with this. part of me says buy a kb and make 400ish and save up for forging it later on down the road and heads. sound like a good idea?

any of you guys know what kind of top speed i can make bone stock with 3.73?

auto btw

Stanger00

Established Member
3rd gear at 6k rpms with a 26" tire is good for 120-122 IIRC. That is with 3.73 gears. FWIW my car went 118 in the quarter with 400hp, 3.73, 3300 stall converter and 26" tire.

4th or overdrive you shouldn't go WOT or let it shift into OD when WOT. Too much of a load will be put on the motor. I'm lucky my car didn't break when I did it.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
3rd gear at 6k rpms with a 26" tire is good for 120-122 IIRC. That is with 3.73 gears. FWIW my car went 118 in the quarter with 400hp, 3.73, 3300 stall converter and 26" tire.

4th or overdrive you shouldn't go WOT or let it shift into OD when WOT. Too much of a load will be put on the motor. I'm lucky my car didn't break when I did it.

Ok cool thanks what was your time in the quarter?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread