2,000 RPM at 80 MPH ok for a 1994 GT?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I was wondering if 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH was ok for a 1994 Mustang GT with the stock gears? How much horsepower should the 94 5.0 have at the rear wheels? What is the timing recommended? I get alot of fuel fumes in the passenger compartment especially when I rev it up....and I changed the fuel pump and the fuel evap canister and still same problem :burn: ....what do you guys think it is?

Here are the ENGINE Mods:
UPR Cold Air with Modded stock MAF (removed center pillar from tube sampler)
CraneCams High Performance Coil
Flowmaster Mufflers with 2.5 tubing/H-Pipe, stock cats-front are empty rear are functional and
Boss Platinum 4 Spark Plugs
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Mobil 1 SuperSynthetic Oil
Mobil 1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid
Mileage is 93,000

jam2u

Established Member
I have a 94 5.0 and it turns 2000 at 80 mph...which i really appreciate on long highway trips. About the fumes, when I put a K&N FIPK on i began getting fumes all the time and after about 300 miles the fumes only where there with the a/c on...and it took almost 1000 miles for that to disappear. So, if your mods are all recent just give the fumes some time. Now, the Bosch Plat 4 plugs probably are not helping you develop any additional power...these plugs are designed for longetivity not performance. I would stick with the regular Bosch plugs for immediate results even though they won't last as long. I noticed your mileage is 93000...has this engine always had synthetic oil? If not, i would stick with organic b/c of the high miles. I'm still using the stock fuel pump on mine, did your 255lph change anything? Later.

My Mods:
FRPP Underdrive Pulleys
Borla Cat-Back
BBK Shorty Headers and OffRoad H
K&N FIPK

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I've used synthetics for about 4 of the 6 years I've owned the beast. So adding synthetics at this point in the engine's life would be of no use? Regular Pennzoil would do my engine better? I've gone trough 2 fuel pumps & had this gas odor problem. I took down the whole gas tank and inspected it and found no residue or corrosion, it was clean. Some guy at a dealer asked me if I had changed the gas cap, which I have. I switched it whit a STANT replacement from Kragen Auto Parts because the stock has no KEY LOCK in it. I've known a lot of stangers that have gotten their fuel lines dirty with salt, sand or dirt being poured in the gas tank (didn't want to take that risk). Maybe I should try replacing the stock gas cap. The fuel pump I currently have installed is a Walbro "High Pressure" fuel pump 255lph. Maybe I'm running too much gas to the engine and getting too much return back to the gas tank and causing the vapors? Thanks for the replies.... `8)

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
The fuel pump is large for your setup right now. With heads, cam, intake, injectors, and other mods on mine I'm only running a 190lph. 255's are only made for larger motors, or blown applications I think. just think, you're sending nearly 3 times as much fuel as your stock one.

jam2u

Established Member
Adding synthetics after an engine has been run without for 50000+ miles would be pointless and a waste of money...via my dad who has a masters in automotive engineering. I concur...too much of a pump, but i think your smell is coming from the intake not the tank.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Yeah you are right PoopNut2 I am flowing way too much gas. Well, Pennzoil here I come! No more synthetics till I get my new engine in Dec. This is my daily driver so I might replace the gas pump with a stock for now and cut back on those nasty fumes. I've gone trough probably 1 whole gallon of Visine and not to mention the headaches. Thanks All. `8)

Users who are viewing this thread