(2.3, 2.9 or ->)3.4L Whipple Questions

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
If you ever plan to run e85 or want over 700 hp or even mid 600's on pump gas and you're buying new, might as well get the 2.9 imo. 2.3 is a very capable blower but if I had to buy both new I would pony up $400 more for the 2.9. Resale value would be better down the road if you decided to change the setup anyway.

Id like to buy as many used parts as possible, but what ever is recommended to buy new, I will.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Parts aren't as common for "going big" as they are for ported eaton components or smaller TS items. Most guys go larger blowers or turbos and need "more" and have things for sale for a good price, more about timing.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
On a 2.3l Whipple whats the smallest pulley that would be safe to run? Heres my list so far.

Whipple, Billet flow throttle body, 60lb injectors, SCT 3000, EGR delete, Lethal return triple pump system, Killer chiller, Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes and another tune at RET.

Anything I'm missing or should add?

Emwun Garand

Established Member
On a 2.3l Whipple whats the smallest pulley that would be safe to run? Heres my list so far.

Whipple, Billet flow throttle body, 60lb injectors, SCT 3000, EGR delete, Lethal return triple pump system, Killer chiller, Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes and another tune at RET.

Anything I'm missing or should add?

I have almost identical setups going in, with the exception of I bought 80lb injectors b/c I'm going to run E85. The pulley I'm going to run is a 2.5" Reichard Racing pulley. It's very small and should produce loads of boost, but I'm not sure how much you'd want to push it with pump gas.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I have almost identical setups going in, with the exception of I bought 80lb injectors b/c I'm going to run E85. The pulley I'm going to run is a 2.5" Reichard Racing pulley. It's very small and should produce loads of boost, but I'm not sure how much you'd want to push it with pump gas.

I was most curious about the 2.7" pulley. And yeah I wasn't sure with the 91 gas (thanks California :bored:)

Is there a huge difference between the Kenne Bell BAP and the Lethal Return system? Anyone with input running these setups?

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I was most curious about the 2.7" pulley. And yeah I wasn't sure with the 91 gas (thanks California :bored:)

Is there a huge difference between the Kenne Bell BAP and the Lethal Return system? Anyone with input running these setups?

With the return setup and multiple pumps, you won't need the BAP anymore except for voltage regulation to the pumps, which isn't a necessity as much as it is a safety cushion.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
With the return setup and multiple pumps, you won't need the BAP anymore except for voltage regulation to the pumps, which isn't a necessity as much as it is a safety cushion.

Alright cool. Whats the best voltage regulator? Just a gauge to make sure Im getting sufficient power?

Emwun Garand

Established Member
The BAP has a built in regulator that stabilizes voltage regardless of battery voltage (down to 11V).

I don't know that you'd need to have an aftermarket regulator as a necessity, but I like mine just for the insurance factor. I got the BAP when all I was doing was porting the Eaton. I have since changed build plans but I'm keeping the BAP for that added safety.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
The BAP has a built in regulator that stabilizes voltage regardless of battery voltage (down to 11V).

I don't know that you'd need to have an aftermarket regulator as a necessity, but I like mine just for the insurance factor. I got the BAP when all I was doing was porting the Eaton. I have since changed build plans but I'm keeping the BAP for that added safety.

What amp BAP did you go with?

Last edited:

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I guess thats the only thing I really haven't decided on. My buddy that did a 2.3 whipple build also used the KB BAP and recommended it to me. I just figured the lethal return system was a good route. Was there any other things you needed with the KB BAP for the fuel setup besides bigger injectors or was that it for your build?

For a 2.3 on pump gas?
I had originally planned
KB BAP, injectors, dual FPDMs, PPRV delete, Twin GT40 pumps.

Believe me when I say this, you WILL want the PPRV deleted. Right now I'm running the Eaton with a 2.76" pulley, BAP, and injectors. The PPRV is the single most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with in this car. It completely ruins the experience of the vehicle.

I am dealing with it for the time being because I changed my entire build and am going with a return style system, which will eliminate the PPRV all together. It's a lot more expensive than doing the mods to the returnless though. I just know that I can't make the power I want on E85 without the return setup.

I went with the 40A BAP, don't settle for less. And I bought it directly from Mike @ Kenne Bell.

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
For a 2.3 on pump gas?
I had originally planned
KB BAP, injectors, dual FPDMs, PPRV delete, Twin GT40 pumps.

Believe me when I say this, you WILL want the PPRV deleted. Right now I'm running the Eaton with a 2.76" pulley, BAP, and injectors. The PPRV is the single most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with in this car. It completely ruins the experience of the vehicle.

I am dealing with it for the time being because I changed my entire build and am going with a return style system, which will eliminate the PPRV all together. It's a lot more expensive than doing the mods to the returnless though. I just know that I can't make the power I want on E85 without the return setup.

I went with the 40A BAP, don't settle for less. And I bought it directly from Mike @ Kenne Bell.

I really appreciate all the info. :beer: I think I might actually go with the KB BAP. And I was talking with Greg at RET while I was getting my car tuned and he was recommending not to go with the Gt40 pumps. He was telling me they were a PITA and that there was this other company that he recommended more. Ill have to call him to ask which pumps he was telling me about (brain farted). What is the dual FPDMs? And the previous owner I bought the car from thankfully already did the PPRV delete. But I read alot about this issue before I picked my Cobra up and it sounds horrible. It was actually one of the first things I asked the previous owner before I bought the car.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
3.4 Whipple gives you more room to grow with in the future. Just as streetable as a 2.3 whipple and can do alot more. I love mine, i run a 4.0 upper and mine does just what it need to do in every aspect. However, when the 3.5 upper is on, it might be a 140mph car in 1/4 which will kill almost everything on the street.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I'm guna run a 2.3 or 2.9, all depends on what I can find a used one for. Got my parts list. Just saving now. I'm curious though. For you guys running E85 what kind of fuel setups are you running? I wanna eventually go E85. Just waiting for it to become available locally.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Is that list of supporting mods the same for a 2.9l Whipple vs 2.3l Whipple?

Last edited:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
3.4 Whipple gives you more room to grow with in the future. Just as streetable as a 2.3 whipple and can do alot more. I love mine, i run a 4.0 upper and mine does just what it need to do in every aspect. However, when the 3.5 upper is on, it might be a 140mph car in 1/4 which will kill almost everything on the street.

What tires are you running to hook up ON THE STREET with that power? It's nice to have a 140mph 1/4 mile car on the track, but getting it off the line and down the street is a different ball game!

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
What tires are you running to hook up ON THE STREET with that power? It's nice to have a 140mph 1/4 mile car on the track, but getting it off the line and down the street is a different ball game!
M&H 28'' tall drag radials. hook up pretty good on a concrete streets around here.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
it depends what power level your at..both around 580-600 it shouldnt make much difference. with the 2.9 u have to use a mono blade tb

I've seen a few threads lateley that are talking about different SBTB. Besides Accufab who makes good tb's?

Users who are viewing this thread