2.3 TVS to On3 turbo

WaffleMan

Established Member
Hi guys, looking for advice from those that have come before me. I am going on 5yrs with my cobra now, started out bone stock, went through a ported eaton, 2.3 whipple, and now on a 2.3 tvs. My id1000s are close to maxed out on e85, and I don't really have the desire to spend the money on bigger injectors and the new 2.65 tvs to make another 100hp with the same ol powerband. I have thought about going turbo many times but always read how expensive it would be. Well I have done some research and have decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

My car is stock longblock, with the goal of 850whp (e85) between 20-25psi through the t56. I just started getting into drag racing last year and want to be able to run 9s (t56, IRS), it will be on the street more than at the track though. I am planning on getting the On3 FF single turbo kit and running an 01 cobra intake manifold and its stock throttle body.

Now on to the questions!
On3 wastegates, blowoff valve, v-bands, and their 4" race intercooler. All junk and need replaced with name brand components?

Stock On3 3" downpipe and exhaust setup, way too restrictive? Thinking of running 4" downpipe driver's side fender exit, loud and smelly or not too bad?

On to the heart of the beast. The TURBSKI:
I have been looking at the Borg Warner S400-SXE 72/82 and 76/82, although I do not know what A/R turbine housing to pair with them. I really like that borg offers up compressor maps and those two I listed seem to really match well with my estimated lb/min of airflow. I do not know if they will fit though, seems the compressor and turbine housings are much larger than some other T4 turbos with similar compressor wheel sizes, I know I can move the radiator forward a little and switch to pusher fans if needed. The On3 manifold is non-divided and I can't seem to find a turbine housing that isn't divided for borgs, will this be an issue?

I am completely open to advice and opinions with turbo choice and the rest of my build, if there is an On3 cheapo turbo that will get me to my goals or another brand/size I will be happy to entertain opinions, although I will not be spending the money for say a precision with billet wheel AND ceramic ball bearing.

Thanks in advance!

98-svt-stang

Established Member
Im looking to do a eaton swap on my cobra. If you do decide to go turbo I have all of the intake manifold and related parts you will need. If you ever want to make a deal let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The on3 BOV and Wastegate will work for now, I'd honestly replace them at some point. The V-bands almost always leak horribly. Their intercooler is ok, a treadstone works better but for your goals their intercooler is fine.

If you want to run as large of a turbo as you have listed I would want a larger downpipe, it will also help with spool.

I love BW and use them on my cars. Those are very large turbos for your goals though and will put down well over 1krwhp. If you want room to grow they are a decent option.

You will need to move your radiator and fan in to fit them. The borgs are physically very large turbos.

You will still need coil over suspension, and your ID1000's will still be stressed. You need the 01 throttle cable (which I may have one and I'm in Kansas as well) crossover and alt.

Whatever you think it will cost add 2-3k more for little random bullcrap that will add up.

WaffleMan

Established Member
Im looking to do a eaton swap on my cobra. If you do decide to go turbo I have all of the intake manifold and related parts you will need. If you ever want to make a deal let me know.

Thanks 98-svt-stang, but I already have a 01 intake/tb, alternator and already have someone lined up local for my blower swap parts. If it falls through I'll let you know.

The on3 BOV and Wastegate will work for now, I'd honestly replace them at some point. The V-bands almost always leak horribly. Their intercooler is ok, a treadstone works better but for your goals their intercooler is fine.

If you want to run as large of a turbo as you have listed I would want a larger downpipe, it will also help with spool.

I love BW and use them on my cars. Those are very large turbos for your goals though and will put down well over 1krwhp. If you want room to grow they are a decent option.

You will need to move your radiator and fan in to fit them. The borgs are physically very large turbos.

You will still need coil over suspension, and your ID1000's will still be stressed. You need the 01 throttle cable (which I may have one and I'm in Kansas as well) crossover and alt.

Whatever you think it will cost add 2-3k more for little random bullcrap that will add up.

Should I pick a different turbo with a smaller turbine wheel? I want a turbo that will hit my goal and wont need too much room to grow since I am on stock motor, I was just trying to get my in boost 4krpm-6.5krpm to pass right through the compressor maps top efficiency island. I would like to have a nice balance of low end response/spool and top end power. I thought maybe the 72mm sxe would be good with nice midrange punch but if the large turbine wheel will make it laggy and slow to spool I'll choose something else. Any recommendations?

I'll take you up on the throttle cable if you have it, I didn't realize I would need the 01 cobra cable too. Where are you at in Kansas? I'm in Wichita.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Thanks 98-svt-stang, but I already have a 01 intake/tb, alternator and already have someone lined up local for my blower swap parts. If it falls through I'll let you know.

Should I pick a different turbo with a smaller turbine wheel? I want a turbo that will hit my goal and wont need too much room to grow since I am on stock motor, I was just trying to get my in boost 4krpm-6.5krpm to pass right through the compressor maps top efficiency island. I would like to have a nice balance of low end response/spool and top end power. I thought maybe the 72mm sxe would be good with nice midrange punch but if the large turbine wheel will make it laggy and slow to spool I'll choose something else. Any recommendations?

I'll take you up on the throttle cable if you have it, I didn't realize I would need the 01 cobra cable too. Where are you at in Kansas? I'm in Wichita.
I'm in the Lawrence area. I'm actually from Wichita and used to own the Indian Hills Ace Hardware there on Meridian with my father. I'll check on the cable.

The 72 will make your goals and have bit of extra to go. I wouldn't worry too much about head room as their spool will be similar. Your issue will be spooling a fairly large turbo on stock bottom end with a 6 speed.

Mostly, it's just the borg's are physically much larger units than other brands. The center section on my twin sx-e's is much larger than my previous precisions.

A suggestion would be to call Jose at Forced Inductions and tell him your goals. He can spec you a turbo and even build one to work best for you (these will out perform especially in spool) than an off the shelf borg while retaining the borg reliability.

MG0h3

Established Member
Did you already buy the On3 stuff? I don't know what their rep is now but it was horrible years ago. Seems like the CG fab stuff is very reasonably priced.

paulstang347

Established Member
I just wanted to chime in and leave my review of the on3 kit. My kit was super easy to put on and zero leaks. I did have to upgrade the cold side clamps because they kept breaking at 21psi. Zero issues with waste gates hold perfect. I did upgrade intercooler because it started to choke me. I made 739rwhp 816 tq on 21 psi on there 8475 billet wheel turbo. I just got a precision 7675 im changing this winter along with a sullivan intake. I think On3 gets a bad rap here but to be honest prolly one of the best kits i have put on and would do it again.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I just wanted to chime in and leave my review of the on3 kit. My kit was super easy to put on and zero leaks. I did have to upgrade the cold side clamps because they kept breaking at 21psi. Zero issues with waste gates hold perfect. I did upgrade intercooler because it started to choke me. I made 739rwhp 816 tq on 21 psi on there 8475 billet wheel turbo. I just got a precision 7675 im changing this winter along with a sullivan intake. I think On3 gets a bad rap here but to be honest prolly one of the best kits i have put on and would do it again.
You've not installed many kits if you think an on3 is "one of the best kits". While they get the job done they are not high end. They typically have subpar weld penetration, slag, they almost never line up. The v-bands are the cheapest junk I've ever used and after one removal will strip the t bolt. Their couplers are cheap, their wastegate, intercooler core and BOV's are the same ones you get one ebay for pennies. People have had to notch their frame just to get them to line up.

They are very affordable and work for most people but never would I call them "one of the best kits" unless I was comparing them to an ebay special. Maybe you just got really luck but for the most part on3's require significantly more work to fit than "other" brands.

paulstang347

Established Member
Just giving my opinion. Cost per issues for me was very small. I have put few other kits on that had way more issues. I just dont like the if its not hellion or custom its junk. I put there kit on my car basically to experiment if it was any good. Was impressed and wanted to share.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just giving my opinion. Cost per issues for me was very small. I have put few other kits on that had way more issues. I just dont like the if its not hellion or custom its junk. I put there kit on my car basically to experiment if it was any good. Was impressed and wanted to share.

I don't think anyone is saying that. But I'm telling you, they were freaking hacks when they opened. Stealing other peoples designs, cheap ass SS, etc. This was all over turbomustangs.com 14-15yrs ago. Like I said, maybe its changed but apparently some of it hasn't if you still have to replace parts right off the bat.

badmpg03

Established Member
I don't think anyone is saying that. But I'm telling you, they were freaking hacks when they opened. Stealing other peoples designs, cheap ass SS, etc. This was all over turbomustangs.com 14-15yrs ago. Like I said, maybe its changed but apparently some of it hasn't if you still have to replace parts right off the bat.

Im not really one to chime in but I have followed them closely the past 2 years when I was debating to go TT.
Many of the issues seem to be gone and all recent reports I have read ppl have been pleased with fitment. With that said, several are only using their hot/cold piping and replacing the waste gates/bov's/turbos.

I would like to still go on3 in future. On Instagram They are experimenting with a engine bay TT front mount right now for new edge cars. Looks pretty sweet.

paulstang347

Established Member
I also heard this on early kits. Maybe in the long run it wont hold up ,but going on over a year and multiple passes at strip with no issues. I do agree i had to update parts right away. Time will tell i guess.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

I, for one, and happy to hear a review from someone who actually has the kit, and can give real world info.
Seems most of the people bad mouthing On3 are just going off what they have heard. Those opinions are useless.

With that said, I went with a custom kit as well. I got too good of a deal to pass it up.
My shop has installed about a dozen On3 kits. He said the quality has improved immensely over the years.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I have also heard of On3 being complete garbage years ago, and have heard they are much better now. Followed a few On3 builds on here and they have turned out well with minor issues during the install. I have seen the On3 hotside in person and honestly it looks great. CGfab is $1900 for just stainless steel hotside. I'll be ordering through an On3 dealer and will most likely be deleting the turbo, wastegates, blowoff, and v-bands. I will get name brand of those things I will be deleting, and as paulstang347 mentioned looks like I'll need to get better cold side clamps as well. I'll make the oil lines and oil relocation AN hoses with their respective fittings so to get that rubber hose out of there as well. Should be a pretty clean install/build.

For the On3 coolant crossover delete do I just need to get a GT lower radiator hose and thats it?

Users who are viewing this thread