2.3 VMP TVS w/ GT500 T/B or 2.9 Whipple Crusher

dsm2cobra

Established Member
VMP 2.3 TVS + GT500 T/B + JLT High Boost Intake ...

or

2.9 Whipple Crusher

I can't decide which blower to get. I am ordering one of these Monday. I am going back and forth hourly at this point. Which would you buy if you bought either today?

Engine supporting mods:
- Lethal Budget Return
- SW 3" exhaust
- SW longtubes
- ID1000's
- MAF

2004silvercobra

Established Member
I think it just depends on your goals as the 2.9 will make more power but to me not enough to add the additional cost 2k more and the tvs having a removable intake makes work on your car way easier if you need to pull the passenger valve cover, injectors etc... I just installed a tvs and so far I wouldn't of went a different route even if I got the 2.9 at the same price. .

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

TVS VERT

Established Member
This is a topic thats been debated a few times on here.....it would be great if the input u got on here was from people with real world experience not recycled info they have read......But there are a few cars on here that have both the 2.9 and tvs on there car, those are the peeps you should be listening to my friend.

cdnstang

604 modulars
Established Member
well 2.9 crusher makes mid 600's at wheel on pump, in a full weight coupe with irs was trapping 140 in qtr with no crusher. Whipple will have lower iat2 than the tvs and make more power being a bigger unit.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Tvs if your running 21 psi or lower, 2.9 crusher 21psi or more anything lower on the whipple is a waste

Beffastang

Established Member
If it was me I would hold out and buy a slightly used 2.9 or 3.4 crusher. I bought a used 3.4 crusher off here with air filter mass air, and a set of fore fuel rails for $ 2500. When I received the blower I took it apart and checked everything out and re assembled it. Taking it apart was super simple, I would hold out for a used one if it was me, my vote is go with a whipple w/crusher intake.

stangfreak

Established Member
Its sufficient for people running 21 to 22 pounds or lower.

My car is down 20 hp and 20 tq from all the cobras mustang magic does. Its a under achiever. we suspect it to be the cam timing is off. I still made 710rwhp 650rwtq on 22lbs with a 2.9 stock inlet

Others with the stock inlet same mods as me, made 730-740rwhp. Different day, weather, Iknow plays factor. But my car with every combo hot or cold is always down 20rwhp from every cobra.

Iv seen cobras with a 2.9 crusher on the dyno and not one broke 800rwhp with 25lbs of boost going through it. If I believe everything on the internet, my car should be making a million hp. Until I see a 800+rwhp 2.9 crusher on 22+lbs with my own eyes ill buy it. Until then, Ill keep the 1800 dollars in my pocket. Again, this is what I observed. Nothing else. I have been playing around with my cobra for 10 years. If I felt the crusher was going to helpme big time, it would be on my car.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
The car's that I have seen make 800rwhp with a small blower is the 2.8 mammoth setup. On low boost I have seen them make 690rwhp on pump gas with ease. I know people on here will say, well my 2.3 made that also. Right. I believe you.

My friend aj made 740rwhp through a automatic with a 2.8 mammoth and went 145mph. If it was still a stick car, it would blast 800rwhp. same shop, same tuner. so what does tht say?

If Iv seen mammoth setups make 800rwhp on that dyno, and 2.9 crushers not make 800rwhp on high boost. what does that tell me? That tells me the crusher for the 2.9 doesnt work lol. again this is what I see at the shop. Nothing else. so I am basing my info on that dyno and what I personally see.

Users who are viewing this thread