2.6pulley/10%Crankpulley Owners Chime in.

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
I have a 2.6 VMP pulley along with a 10 percent crank pulley and had to replace the belt twice for slipping/squealing issues. After replacing the belt no slippage or squealing was apparent. After a week the slipping/squealing issue came roaring its head back. Then i bought a steeda adjustable idler to help tighten the belt with the same issues. My guess is my belt is to long to begin with, can you please chime in with the belt size you used without having any problems with squeal/belt slip. Thank you very much.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I had the same issue and ended up replacing the stock tensioner with a Thump Racing tensioner. That was several months ago and I have had no more problems.

rstlaurent

Established Member
This is my experience with the noise....

I have the steeda adjustable idler and it has to be at the very top (not very tight) to make the less noise. After a few minutes and noise stops completely.

When I adjust the Steeda idler very tight, it screams at first when cold and it takes about 5 minutes (a bit longer) to stops making noises.

However, when the engine is hot, it doesn't make noise at all no matter where the steeda idler is adjusted.

chimazo

Established Member
I have a squeak that goes away after 10min. Sounds like one of the idlers but I guess it could be the belt... Maybe the Thump idler is the way to silence it.

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Added a Thump RR tensioner, Steeda idler adjustable pulley with the k100852 belt and still showing massive belt slip on the dyno. Any suggestions on a smaller belt that would probably help this issue?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I have the same setup and mine is squealing too. I have less than 2000 miles on the idler/upper, and about 1000 on the new belt & lower pulley.

I just ordered a replacement on the idler, but if that doesn't fix it I will try the thump unit.

jcthorne

Established Member
Its you aluminum IW lower pulley that is the problem, not the belt.

I am running a stock lower pulley (steel) and a 2.2" upper steel pulley so spinning the blower faster than you, still running the stock belt at 30,000 miles with no belt slip.

Aluminum pullies do not wear well or provide sufficient friction coefficient in high belt load conditions. You need steel pullies. A new belt will be coated in aluminium dust in no time with your current config. A high tension tensioner does help but places a significant additional load on the crank snout, blower drive bearings (already small and running outside thier spec RPM range) and A/C compressor clutch bearings.

Get an overdrive steel pulley or smaller upper with stock lower and your belt slip issues will be gone.

Seahorse

Established Member
Where are you getting a 2.2" upper; I thought the smallest available was a 2.59"?

Kostas

Established Member
I think that some times is a hit or miss with belts.
I have the 2.6 upper and IW lower pulley on my TVS and i have put over 7000 miles and some track abuse, on the same belt.
It started making noise after NMRA at Atco NJ, i replaced it and the 2nd belt only lasted about 2 weeks before it started to make noise again, and i didnt even get on it that much.
I replaced it again, and i dont have problems for about a month now......

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Didnt realize you could run the stock belt with the upper and lower pulley, anyone have the part number for the stock belt? Troublemaker, do you use a idler pulley also?

littlejohn

Established Member
I installed a Dayco belt that seems to be working better, def. quieter so far, I'm not able to get to the car to check the part no., but it is something like 5100855 instead of the Gates K100852.

I know from past experience on a supercharged truck I had that I had better luck with Dayco belts than Gates for slippage. Just my .02.

jcthorne

Established Member
Where are you getting a 2.2" upper; I thought the smallest available was a 2.59"?

Steggy machined the snout and supplied the pulley. Been on there well over 2 years now. If any combo was going to slip because of the belt, it would be that tiny 2.2 pulley. It does not.

The problem is the aluminum IW lower pulley guys. You don't need or want more tension on the belt. You need a steel pulley for the rubber belt to grab on to rather than aluminum for it to slide on. The coefficient of friction between rubber and steel vs aluminum is VERY different. And when it does slip, aluminum dust coats the belt which is a very efficient lubricant.....making the problem worse.

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
I believe Troublemaker hit the nail on the head. I replaced my k100852 gates belt with the stocker and used the Thump RR tensioner without a hiccup, the thump tensioner allows more travel when releasing the tension allowing you to use a smaller belt.

Users who are viewing this thread