2.8 + ported blower = only 460hp/470tq?

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
Well, I slapped on an Amazon ported blower and a 2.8 pulley on Wednesday and drove to Houston to get it tuned. Yes - I drove 3.5 hours and stayed under 2,000rpm the whole way to avoid getting into boost.:bash:

After several runs to get the air/fuel corrected, my best was 461 hp / 471 tq. My ratios were at 12.0 across the board (dipped to 11.8 around 6,000rpm)

This was on a DynoJet with a "weather station". It was 95 degrees outside.

My mods are: FIPK, o/r h-pipe, Flows, 2.8 and idlers, ported blower.

My question is, are these numbers a bit low? I've seen some guys around here with similar setups put 500 to the wheels. Not bashing my tuner at all - they seemed very knowlegable. Just wondering if this sounds right to you guys?:shrug:

bizkit642

Established Member
seems real low. You should be in the 500 range. What kind of timming do you have in the car? You should have those kind of numbers w/o the port job. Why didn't you just have rick tune if for ya? He could of put a tune in a predator or sct tuner and made more power than that and still been safe with it. Maybe you should call him and have him tune it. He's tuned so many it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

nuxx

Established Member
95 degrees is your answer... wait for it to be cool outside and get it retuned, or just hit up the dyno again. You'll see much higher numbers. The guys hitting 500 were in very cool climates, and did not make these numbers during the summer.

My car felt like a dog all summer long...
-Peter

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
numbers are very low!.. my numbers in sig.. is just pulley no apten.. my blower is at apten right now.. im expecting over 490rwhp

D-Cobra

Established Member
well that number seem to be normal if you're in a real hot and humid climate. i live in florida, and i have pretty much the same mods, and my numbers are 467 rwhp and 476 torque. that's with a/f ration of 12 and 23 degrees of timing.

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
I figured the heat had a bunch to do with it, but 30 to 40hp difference? My tuner said that their "weather station" corrects for atmospheric conditions, and tends to put out lower numbers than other Dynojets. Does that sound right?

I'm not sure what the timing is set at, but I requested a "safe" tune. I'd rather drop a few hp than a piston!

Just wondering what others out there are putting down with similar mods. Am I right to expect close to 500hp?

Thanks...

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
It's all Timing!!!
I have almost some mods and mine only did 476 and 467.
I said I wanted a safe tune when I went and thats what I got.
The dyno also can make a difference.
Don't worry about it with only 476hp I can run an 11sec 1/4 grannyshifting with my "VALET" tune. Thats what I like to call it compared to some people with tha same mods running 24-27 degrees of timing. I only have 18 as I sit know. It's a daily driver and I fell safe this way but I'm also looking into getting a chip/programer and cranking it at the track next year with a race tune or something.

JP

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by Ad Wizard
Just wondering what others out there are putting down with similar mods. Am I right to expect close to 500hp?

Thanks...

500rwhp is if you are very lucky and on a cold day. I was expecting 500, but fell short. It was high 80s and very humid when I tuned and got my dyno done though.

Adding a 2lb lower and SPEC stage 3 this week, so hopefully after the clutch breaks in and it cools down and I retune, I'll be at or above 500.
-Peter

Boosted 03

Established Member
Your answer is in your question. That sounds weird does'nt it? 95 degrees? You must be crazy to expect great numbers in this kind of heat! Here in florida the temps are rediculous! I made more power in the winter months (40-50 degrees) than I do in the summer (90-100 degrees) with my Apten. The heat is what kills the power! Wait until winter! You will be ripping those tires apart. I can almost kiss 500 in the winter, but I'm lucky to put down 470 in the summer. Whats even worse is that I've got a Gords ford heat exchanger in my closet that I'm to lazy to put on. :bash: I actually think you numbers are pretty respectable considering the temps. Do you not notice the difference in power at different temps? Dont worry, your not down on power.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread