2.8 pulley tune help.

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Hey guys, Ive got a few questions that Ive been searching for answers for. Ive done some research only to get alittle confused. This is my first power added car so Im new to the boost world. Ok, first off, my car already has a 3.0 pulley on it now, it was on the car when I bought it. The car has 12psi now. Im wanting to put a 2.8 on it to run around 14psi. Ok, so I was looking at the UPR pulleys and they come with a chip to go along with the pulley install but, will my exhaust and soon to be CAI going to effect this? Should I buy a programer and download a tune, or should I just take it to a dyno and let them make me a custom tune? I know I sound like a dumby here but like I said, this is my first blown car and Im still new to it. Id appriciate any help you guys could give me to shed alittle light on the subject so maybe I can wrap my head around this.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would recommend getting a custom tune. Canned tunes can not take in to account the MAF placement.

Any time you move the MAF placement, it can throw off the A/F. So if you are going to install a CAI, then you will need to have the tune checked.

I would also look into another pulley if it were me, like Billetflow.

Romans8:28

Established Member
Usually a custom dyno tune still involves you purchasing a hand held tuner... (unless you use a piggy back chip)

The "custom" part is when the "tuner" programs your hand held with his/her altered file then dumps it to your cars computer via your hand held device while on the dyno

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Ok, so basicaly I install the pulley and CAI, buy a programer, and take it to the dyno and hand it all over to the "tuner" correct? Any programer that yall would recomend? Whats most commonly used?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I would recommend getting a custom tune. Canned tunes can not take in to account the MAF placement.

Any time you move the MAF placement, it can throw off the A/F. So if you are going to install a CAI, then you will need to have the tune checked.

I would also look into another pulley if it were me, like Billetflow.
:rockon:
Ok, so basicaly I install the pulley and CAI, buy a programer, and take it to the dyno and hand it all over to the "tuner" correct? Any programer that yall would recomend? Whats most commonly used?

You might be better off buying the handheld from the person you`re going to have tune thecar.You also need to decide if you`re to get a dyno tune vs.a e-mailed tune from a reputable tuner such as VMP,Amazon,etc.Most use SCT these days.

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Ok awesome guys, that puts new light on things now. Ok couple more question then Ill get out of yalls hair, where is a pulley actually measured at? Across the front, or on the ribs where the belt sits, or down between the ribs? Im sure I dont have a 2.8 since im only making 12psi right? And since the car already has a steeda idler on it, can I just buy a billetflow upper pulley or do I have to buy their idler to go with it? And is the 4 piece set really needed or can I just get by with the upper? And if Im wanting around 14psi, is the 2.93 enough or do I need the 2.76? After reading about the billetflows I really like the look of quality to them.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
They are measured at the ribs.You`ll need a 2.76'' to get 14lbs.,and i`d highly recommend you get the 4 piece including a new snub idler.

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Ok did some measuring and I do have a 2.8 upper and a steeda 100mm idler. I think its a steeda interchangable upper but not sure, Ill let you guys look and see. The weird anodized maroon matches the idler so Im guessing its a steeda. Also last night I watched my new guage closer and it read 13psi, but when I kill the car, the needle doesnt return back to the center, its off alittle. Looks to be about 1psi off or so. Could that be why Im not reading 14psi or could I only be getting 13? I posted some pics of the guage and pulley setup.

charliex2

Established Member
Ok did some measuring and I do have a 2.8 upper and a steeda 100mm idler. I think its a steeda interchangable upper but not sure, Ill let you guys look and see. The weird anodized maroon matches the idler so Im guessing its a steeda. Also last night I watched my new guage closer and it read 13psi, but when I kill the car, the needle doesnt return back to the center, its off alittle. Looks to be about 1psi off or so. Could that be why Im not reading 14psi or could I only be getting 13? I posted some pics of the guage and pulley setup.

New just like you the thing right below your pully thats to keep belt from slipping right?

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Im guessing your talking about the idler? And yes, it causes the belt to wrap further around the upper pulley for more contact surface and to keep the belt from slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread