2.80 or 2.93 pulley?

Which pulley should I get with my mods?

Votes: 237 51.5%

Votes: 223 48.5%

• Total voters

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by Venom25
So you all suggest us new comers should get a 2.8 pulley with a 100mm idler and a gatorbelt to avoid slippage? This set up should put 14-15 pounds of boost?

You can also use the gates 740 belt. That is what I am using and it works great.

Venom25

Established Member
Originally posted by drkchk03svt
You can also use the gates 740 belt. That is what I am using and it works great.

So the idlers are along with a belt are a must to avoid 0% slippage? Has anyone seen a slip free pulley sest-up without using one of the either the idlers or belt?

03Bra

Established Member
Right now I am running 2.8 with 100mm add on idler and 2 90mm replacement idlers. No slippage at all. I am about to switch to the new set-up that RPM Outlet is testing right now and should be in production in a couple of weeks. Cog pulleys! Talk about no slip. I guess we will see though.

THUNDEROAD

Established Member
2.93 Pulley

I've just installed a 2.93 Motoblue Non-Slip pulley and a Gatorback 4080740 belt on my '03 Cobra. The car is running strong but I'm seeing a lot of black residue.

I just installed a 100mm Idler, but was forced to use the factory belt -- there was no way the 4080740 was going to fit.

The factory belt is a little too loose; I'm hoping to get a 4080745 delivered by Wednesday. I'll then post my findings.

The Gatorback 4080745 did the trick. The tensioner's travel indicator is right on the money and there is no more belt residue.:beer:

Last edited:

Shanezam203

Established Member
8_rib_DUB.jpg

I just picked up an 03 and I've only had it a day and I already want to change the pulley out. I have a 2.8 interchangable I can put on it from my truck I took off. I just dont want to go overboard. (What is a 2.8 upper above stock 6 or 8 pounds?) After reading this thread I came to the conclusion that the 2.8 upper is the way to go with a safe tune. I may get a 2.93 also and just run the 2 on the 2.93 tune. Is that safe to run the 2.8 with the richer tune? Also I should be able to get the 2.9 on the same belt as the 2.8 we arent talking about much of a difference. Otherwise there wouldn't be "quick change " uppers. I may get a set of 100mm idlers, but the upper I have is 5 ribbed and non slip we'll see. I may not need them. I just want to know if its safe to run the two uppers with the same tune as long as your using the richer one.

I got this info from South Florida Pulley hc does this look accurate?
- produce up to 7 lbs. of additional boost* with the 2.80" DUB Pulley
- produce up to 5 lbs. of additional boost* with the 2.93" DUB Pulley
- produce up to 4 lbs. of additional boost* with the 3.10" DUB Pulley
- produce up to 3.5 lbs. of additional boost* with the 3.20" DUB Pulley
- produce up to 2 lbs. of additional boost* with the 3.40" DUB Pulley

Also when I changed the pulley out on my truck, I changed the plugs to tr6's will I need to do that with the Cobra to? (How hard are the plugs in these things) And what plugs are reccomended for 6-7 pounds over stock?
:coolman: Shane

Last edited:

Kimcobra

Established Member
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: Man this is really crazy.I read every post and still don't know a dame thing.What about a 6lb lower?What kind of power does it make,what would be the differance's between that and the 2.80 upper?Longtubes lose power?How can this be?I thought the Ideal was to move as much air as you can??How about a good setup for a daily driver with 480rwhp and 460rwtq??I do know the tune makes a big differance.My 04 has 1200 miles on it and a Steeda CAI,and Bassani catback.Seams a shame to spend 399.00 for high flow cats when you can just cut the back two cats out.Please some one give me some help.Upper,lower L/Ts cats ,no cats.Looking for 480rwhp and 460rwtq on a daily driver.Thanks

jshen

Established Member
Kimcobra

I have read the entire posts and am just as confused. :shrug:

jasil

Established Member
There are no secret super special this is the hands down best combo etc for any car including this one.

The Eaton is a air pump the fast you spin it the more air it will push plain and simple. Uppers are better because they are much easier to install. If your trying to overspin the piss out of the Eaton get a upper and a lower.

As far the exhaust why spend money when you don't have to. If your 4.6 is pushing 450rwhp that's nothing through 2.5 or 3'' pipes that's nothing..no real restriction inhibiting hp there.

Dsm's can run 400whp through 3'' exhaust...just 1 and gain minimally with a upgrade to a 3.5''...this is a 2.0 motor.

Supra's run 600whp through a 3.5'' exhaust and gain minimally from a 4'' this is a 3.0l motor.

450whp through 4.6 liters how big of a pipe do you need? A H or X pipe and catback is more than enough.

Test have shown that above 600rwhp long tubes to help...but at 450whp enjoy your torque and be done with it.

For the price of long tubes you could buy a 50 shot installed and tuned and be pushing over 500rwhp and add a BAS and BAP and still spend the same.

Bolt on cobra's put out around 450rwhp with pulley, chip, filter, exhaust some 5% more some 5% less.

No big deal.

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by Kimcobra
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: Man this is really crazy.I read every post and still don't know a dame thing.What about a 6lb lower?What kind of power does it make,what would be the differance's between that and the 2.80 upper?Longtubes lose power?How can this be?I thought the Ideal was to move as much air as you can??How about a good setup for a daily driver with 480rwhp and 460rwtq??I do know the tune makes a big differance.My 04 has 1200 miles on it and a Steeda CAI,and Bassani catback.Seams a shame to spend 399.00 for high flow cats when you can just cut the back two cats out.Please some one give me some help.Upper,lower L/Ts cats ,no cats.Looking for 480rwhp and 460rwtq on a daily driver.Thanks

You cant just cut the back two cars out. I believe it will cause a code problem. The 04 cats are better than the 03 cats but until you get over the 450rwhp mark the stock cats are fine. The 4 cats on the stock h pipe work as a set and if you hack two out it may fry the remaining two. I have seen that happen on the 96-98 Cobra. Long Tubes really are not worth the gain until you go past the 600RWHP mark I hear. The 480 rwhp is fine for a daily driver. There is a KB CObra for sale right now over 620rwhp that is used as a daily driver and the driver and everyone that has ridden in the car says it is smooth as silk.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I think that if you want to run a 2.8 upper with a 4lb lower, you need to port the Eaton. This way you take full advantage of the higher blower rpm in terms of air flow without overdoing the boost. I am now running the 2.8 upper with idler with no apparent slip and I intend to add the 4lb lower when I port the Eaton. This should give a nice bump in HP/TQ.

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
It seems to me that a 2.76 might not be such a bad idea for a daily driver -- if it overspins the blower, it'll only be at fairly high RPM, and most daily drivers probably don't wrap it up to 6500 RPM all the time. Or do they... :)

I just farked up my 2.93 billetflow non-slip today, and I need to get a new pulley ring -- so this debate is definitely of interest to me, two years old or not :). 95% of the time when I romp on it, I never get above 5k, and I like having the torque. I'm wondering if a 2.76 with idler would be a better option for me than the 2.93, just to get a few more ft-lbs of torque down low where I use it all the time.

Speaking of idlers, what's good but not horribly expensive? I have a non-slip 2.93 now, and it does okay (little belt dust), but I'm guessing that at least one idler would be a must with a 2.76. Billetflow is good obviously, but $250...

Dave

03YellowVenom

Established Member
I just switched from 2.76 to a 2.80 and had a steg ported blower put on and gained 41RWH and went to a safer air/fuel :rockon:

Last edited:

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
Look at my sig,

I just recently started using a 2.8 and for the most part love it. There's a definate boost in low speed torque although the motor feels a little softer above 6K. For the street I'm going to keep the 2.8 on the car. At this point I'm not going with a lower since I don't want to kill the Eaton. I'm using the DUB setup and will be getting other larger pulleys to play with. I want to try a 3.0 or 3.1 and see what that's like. If that softens up the low end but allows it to charge harder up top I might stick with that because I can already blow the tires off in 1,2, and sometimes third which is a waste. Something tells me I'll end up with the 2.8 back on though.

Users who are viewing this thread